Green Acres Natural Food...

Large size market stocking organic fruits and vegetables, frozen and refrigerated foods, natural health and beauty products, vitamins and nutritional supplements, and more. Has a deli, with a couple vegan options, a veg soup, and an organic bar. more-less

First Review by Pilotage
JessiRaburn
JessiRaburn

Decent Deli - that's about it.

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

The deli is pretty good but pricey. Be prepared to drop 9-15 for a lunch. They will let you try a sample before purchasing. You can have a salad special where they will have you select three types. They don't measure it and they charge you by weight. This means that you have no clue how much it is going to cost. As this is the "rich people" health food store I feel like they expect it not to matter.

As others have pointed out the staff are.....weird. The entire vibe of the place is weird, off, zombie-like. I've met some nice check-out or deli people but they were the exception to the rule. I've been going there for about 7-8 years. There is a slightly oppressive unhappy feel to the entire place. I found myself wondering if there were massive amounts of anti-depressants being pumped into the water they gave to anyone who worked there. I never witnessed any disparaging of employees - I wouldn't give them my money if I had. Maybe they hire cult members?

Why I keep going back - the food is good and it is prepared already so you can get in, get some decent healthy food, and get out quickly. Also, if you are with someone(s) with different dietary needs everyone can find something to eat. The chicken pot pies are a must for a meat eater, the tiramisu the best in Wichita, the chicken pot pies now come in a gluten free option and if they have it on the day you visit the avocado chocolate pie is both gluten free, vegan, and just freakin perfect.

Don't bother shopping in the grocery portion. I haven't found anything there I couldn't get at Natural Grocers right down the road for much less. If you want to see the price difference start here and write down the prices and go to Natural Grocers and compare. An individual item can be marked up by dollars between the two stores. You are paying for the privilege of shopping with the east side elites. I prefer that tattooed hippies/alts at Natural Grocers.

Pros: Fast healthy food, Variety of choices , High quality
Cons: Pricey, Zombie-like employees, Weird creepy vibe
Shipper
Shipper

Great Place But Pricey

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

Deli offers great assortment of vegan and special diet fare but is VERY expensive! They do offer quite a bit of Raw items which is good. Some of the staff could be more friendly and helpful. We dont like the vibe there as a result. Natural Grocers and Food For Thoght are much friendlier and cheaper!

Pros: Deli, Stock, Hours
Cons: Staff, Expensive
gbee
gbee

Local, could be friendlier

3 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2012

I used to shop here all the time. They have a great selection of unique items I can't find anywhere else. I stopped shopping here only because of the unfriendly staff, in particular, the manager or owner. He is too cool for school to answer any questions, and tried to make me feel inferior because I had questions about different products. I now shop ay another local store who values me and my business.

Pros: clean, variety of unique items, local
Cons: owner is unfriendly and not helpful, expensive
acergrisem
acergrisem

• non-vegetarian

Fresh Veggies

2 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2010

Deli food is Ok. prices are high but it is worth it for the better produce on occasion. Staff or manager is unfriendly. Does not seem to care to answer questions. Too busy to help.

Pros: fresh veggies
Cons: Higher prices, unfriendly staff
Kimberly10jason
Kimberly10jason

Decent

3 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

The deli is what I often visited. The food was good, the staff was okay- I would sometimes go there 3 times a week for lunch for a year and the staff (owners particularly) never cared to speak to me...
Always glad to see more vegetarian friendly places in Wichita.

Pros: cleanliness, food
Cons: staff

jmw5577
jmw5577

Small but decent selection

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

Fairly good selection of veg food. I found nutritional yeast, gluten flour, tempeh, Bragg's and a few other items that are sometimes hard to find in Kansas. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere, Good selection
Cons: Expensive
ochibawolf
ochibawolf

Very vegan friendly

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

A great place to shop. Items are pricey, but well worth it. If you get anything off the deli, be sure to try the Pharoh's Salad, which is made with veganaise, it's so delicious! There are other vegan options in the deli as well. They post all of their ingredients they use to make the deli items, so you can see for yourself which are vegan or not. There are very nice people working there who are super knowledgeable about health products. Great place to get any vitamins or supplements. Highly recommended to stop in. I bet you won't walk out empty handed!

Pros: Great selection, vegan deli items
Cons: expensive
jdame
jdame

Just passing through

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2007

Great place with plenty to choose from. Small deli offers some raw, vegan and vegi choices making my trip very enjoyable. Hilton Garden Inn is directly behind the store. The store is off of 21st and Rock rd.

Pros: Vegan, Raw, Prices
Cons: Small
Her Dotness
Her Dotness

Only readily available organic eatery in town!

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2006

Green Acres' deli should definitely be mentioned as it's one of only two organic eating places in town. (The other is in a holistic health center and offers a very limited menu, lunch only, most dishes containing dairy. Also, they ask for a donation to the center plus the cost of your lunch.) While Green Acres' deli has some vegan options, primarily prepared salads and the organic fresh salad bar, the majority of dishes contain fish, meat, eggs or dairy. Hot entrees sometimes include a vegetarian item; however, these often contain dairy. Foods are typically delicious, though. The biggest plus is that all desserts and prepared salads have a card listing ingredients near the serving dish so that you can check for anything you prefer to avoid. Staff are also quite helpful in this respect. Quite limited selection of fresh juices but delicious nevertheless. A helpful option...and you won't leave the store without buying some fresh fruit, veggies or something else you simply can't resist. Great place for healthy snacks for travel!

Pros: food is yummy, staff very helpful, nice dining area at front
Cons: dining area across store, frm deli
Pilotage
Pilotage

Excellent Experience, Extraoridinary Service!!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2006

While traveling in KS I needed access to wholesome VEGAN fare - Green Acres was teriffic!! The selection was good, the quality of their organic produce was good and best of all, the staff went above and beyond great service to create one of the best shopping experiences I have EVER had. Green Acres ROCKS!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Green Acres Natural Food Market: