CLOSED: Greater Boston...

Serves Taiwanese style vegan food including appetizers spring rolls and vegetable dumplings, and set menu entrees that includes rice and three sides. Menu changes daily. No alcohol. Sits between Harvard Square and Central Square. JUL 2013 REPORTED TEMPORARILY CLOSED BUT PHONE STILL NOT WORKING AS LATE AUG. REMOVED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Taiwanese, Chinese

First Review by dreamerspirit
SilverCrescent
SilverCrescent

Charming

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

This is a small place and easily missed if you aren't looking for it. The tea is absolutely delicious and is served hot or cold. Selection is slim so this may not be the best place for a picky eater, but you can't beat the price or the atmosphere.

Pros: price, friendly staff, small business charm
Cons: small selection
abrahamv1
abrahamv1
  • non-vegetarian

Saffron robes and incense

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2010

I love this place. I'm not a vegetarian. Truth be told I am kind of fussy about veggie food. This place is great. When I worked in Cambridge I would go here once a week for lunch. High quality food. Get the lunch special. It's either $5.95 or $6.95. You get a veggie soup of the day like carrot or squash or mushroom. I don't like squash or mushroom and it's good. Must be Buddhist magic. Then they bring a plate of food. It has four different stir fry type things divided into quadrants on the plate. In the center is a hill of brown rice topped with bits of seaweed(?). I've never had anything I didn't want to eat after trying here and everything I've tried has turned out, at the risk of being cliche, yummy. And I'm fussy. Plus it's a modern day urban Buddhist temple so the setting is ultra chill. There are folks in saffron robes and incense burning. Sometimes there's a service going on and people are chanting in the other room. You won't be disappointed. So the four separate dishes you get may be a bok choy in sauce, edamame with nuts, sauteed brocoli, roasted mushrooms, some sort of fake chicken stir fried, cubes stir fried squash, fried tofu, fried bean sprouts.

You also have to try the tea. I like the hibiscus tea. It's beautiful to look at too.

Pros: High quality ingredients, Prepared with love, Near Central Square
Cons: Near Harvard Square, No others
JamieWilliams
JamieWilliams

Excellent Experience with Food and Setting

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

Well worth a visit to feed both the mind and stomach. Plates are a modest size, have a variety of items and are healthy. The atmosphere is very calming and the price excellent. Very quiet and not the place to be if you are a loud talker! Need to be respectful of the setting.

Pros: Atmosphere, Price, Food
dreamerspirit
dreamerspirit

Yummy!

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2008

I was recently in Cambridge with my mum (an omnivore), and we decided to stop here for dinner. I can honestly not say a negative thing about it! The atmosphere was very serene, the staff was nice, the prices were very reasonable, and the food was wonderful! The food at the Greater Boston Buddhist Cultural Center is certainly some of the best veggie food in the Boston area!

Pros: Great Food, Very Affordable, Wonderful Atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Greater Boston Buddhist Cultural Center: