Great Wall Chinese Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is mostly vegan (with fake meats) except for fish. Try the Szechuan "chicken," the sweet & sour "chicken," and the spicy eggplant. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by vduplessis
Punk Paul
Punk Paul

Best Veggie Chinese

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

Being a fan of fake meat, I think I have sampled every veggie Chinese joint in the Bay and this is far and away my favorite. It is low key, and just down the street from my favorite coffee- Cole- in the area. Hate the fact they serve dead fish. Other than that, tasty veggie Chines food, reasonable prices, fast service.

Pros: Universally tasty food, fast service, good prices
Cons: dead fish
happiyogi
happiyogi

Consistently good food

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2008

I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. Great Wall is one of my favorite places to eat. Their Green Been Ball soup is worth a drive all by itself. The Sesame Chicken is a family favorite. When my kids or yogi friends come into the Bay Area from out of town, it is a required stop. If you ask for no eggs in the hot and sour soup that comes with lunch, they are happy to provide it

Pros: Large selection, Good food-low prices, Big portions
vduplessis
vduplessis

good vegan Chinese if you are in Rockridge

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

we love mock meats, so this is one of our old standbys-- good food, affordable, decent service. nothing amazing or incredibly creative, but it gets the job done... and done well!

Pros: yummy mock meat!, lots of veggies, good value
Cons: heavy/salty, decor
Guest
Guest

I was MSG poisoned here :-(

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2007

Ok, so beginning in chronological order. I went to The Wall a week ago for the first time and I thought that the food was really cheap and tasty. The lunch specials were $6.00 for a huge dish of food/rice and soup and fried spring rolls. Not bad at all. I got the Hunan chicken (the fake meat was really good.) Their soup have to be fore-warned or else they put eggs in them. After eating, I felt kind of tired- I didn't know why, so I just figured that it might be because of my lack of sleep the night before or something.

-Last night, I came back with a couple of friends for dinner. This time the food took way too long to come and it wasn't as tasty as the first time. I got the spicy sauce chicken and it was sooo salty! I forgot to mentioned "no eggs" to the hot and sour soup and I accidentally had some of it before somebody pointed that out to me!!! I was mortified that they had so much eggs in their food (their steamed dumplings as well.) Anyway, so I stuck to my brown rice and my chicken and the Mongolian beef, which isn't bad at all, but it has way too much onions for my liking. Anyway, halfway through the dinner, I started to feel the effect of the MSG. I got a headache, my neck started to sore, my hands felt all tingly, and my two friends also agreed that this restaurant uses a LOT of MSG. If you like cheap Chinese food, then I would strongly suggest that you go here for their lunch specials. If MSG makes you sick, like it did to me, then do not go here!

Pros: Cheap lunch specials, Their Hunan Chicken, Parking spaces at Safeway across street
Cons: MSG, The decor, Canned mushrooms that they use instead

Dear Owner and Manager of Great Wall Chinese Restaurant: