Great Sage specializes in global vegan cuisine in a simple zen-like atmosphere. Happy hour is Tuesday to Friday from 3-6pm. Live music and drink specials on Thursday night (open til 10:30pm). Sunday brunch is from 10am-3pm. It's part of the Conscious Corner family of local, independently owned businesses also within the same shopping center: Nest (clothing and gift boutique), Bark (natural pet food and supplies), and Roots Market. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, American, International, Beer/Wine
5809 Clarksville Square Dr (Rte 108)
Clarksville, Maryland 21029
443-535-9400

Tue-Wed 11:30am-9:00pm, Thu-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm

First Review by ahaus829
tlgoess
tlgoess

the carrot cake is fantastic

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

Stopped in for dinner with a non-vegetarian friend. We both enjoyed a wonderful dinner and then went on to dessert. The carrot cake was fantastic. Moist and rich, you would never have known it was vegan.

I will definitely go back

Pros: wide selection of food and desserts, friendly staff
Cons: closed on Monday
VegAeryn
VegAeryn

Best vegan restaurant in the DC area!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2014

We live in the Philadelphia area but we travel to DC a few times a year, and a trip to Great Sage has become part of our DC trip tradition. However, the past two times we've traveled to Clarksville alone, just to visit Great Sage and the other shops in this strip mall because it has become a destination in itself.

On our most recent trip here, we started off our meal with the picked vegetable hand rolls. We inhaled the two large nori rolls filled with pickled beets, carrots and cabbage and ate every last drop of the peanut dipping sauce that came with the appetizer. On another trip, we started our meal with a raw falafel appetizer that was out of this world delicous. If they put it back on the menu, I'll definitely order that again.

Next up, we split two of the entrees. I absolutely adored the pumpkin gnocchi which was filled with a melange of other vegetables and served in a to-die-for delicious sauce. The other entree is a Great Sage favorite and a MUST TRY: the hearts of palm-based crab cakes. These were delicious and served with just the right amount of vegan remoulade. I literally licked the plate when I was finished. The crunchy quinoa pilaf it was served with was stunning as well.

Do I sound like I'm a bit hyperbolic here? Well, the truth is, we drive 2-plus hours to eat single meal at Great Sage because it is just that good. The desserts here are pretty good too, but I usually don't have room to try them! One of my favorites is the chocolate lava cake. Note, they do not take reservations for parties under five, so if you plan to come for Saturday dinner, try to arrive by 5pm or get ready to wait.

Pros: good price, excellent food
MissB613
MissB613

Great Food

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

I've only had takeout from Great Sage - and it's been amazing. I love how many raw and veggie friendly options they have. My favorite thing at Great Sage is their BBQ!

Pros: Good Hours for the Suburbs , Lots of Allergy-Friendly Options
Cons: Expensive (not for what you get, tho)

veggiefox
veggiefox

Delicious!

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I went there recently. Had dinner and dessert, and sampled my SO's dinner and dessert, and everything was delicious! This was some of the tastiest food I've ever had.

On the night we went, it was packed. The hostest told us to expect about a 20 minute wait for a table. She took my cell phone number and promised to call when a table was ready so we could walk around, but she failed to call us. Other than that, service was fine. Atmosphere fine but nothing outstanding. The prices were a little higher than I would have liked, but the delicious food was worth it.

I don't know how often it's crowded. By the time we were done eating, the place was half-empty, and it wasn't that late.

I'll certainly go back.

Pros: wonderful flavors
nlukas51
nlukas51

great indeed

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

just had dinner at great sage; buffalo tempeh with corn fritters, veg-lentil burger with greens, and carrot cake. yum! everything, including the service, was outstanding!!! i brought my mom (a non veg / vegan) along who was blown away by the mac & cheese and the choco lava cake. i would make the trip from philly just to eat there - no question about it.

Pros: organic, great taste, super nice service
Cons: too far from philly
VEGvoyagers
VEGvoyagers

First Stop and it was awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

We were really excited to eat at Great Sage as this was the first stop on our vegan road trip across America. We started with an app of cheezy artichoke dip which was unlike anything we had ever had since going vegan. Our main dishes were the BALT which had amazing coconut tempeh bacon and the seitan arepa which was on a delicious flatbread. The service was great and we were not disappointed! check out the health food store they also own right next door!

Pros: use organic and local, health food store next door
charlieb
charlieb

Great Sage is one of our favorite places...

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

We have been to Great Sage a lot of times and seem to be going to brunch more and more. I really wanted to mention how great the staff is and especially the Manager Katie is the "most awesomest!!! I have been there at all times of day and she is always cheery and working hard. The food is really good and looks great too. If you haven't been here you need to make your way to Clarksville and enjoy!

Pros: ambiance, menu variety, staff
Cons: needs to be closer to my house... ; )
kvelistruan
kvelistruan

Wow - We can order anything we want!

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

How wonderful to find a restaurant where a Vegan can order anything on the menu. Well Great Sage is that place. We live Upstate NY and while I cook 98% of what we eat (and love doing it) we do like to dine out once in a while. This weekend we had to be in the Baltimore/Washington area, I had heard about Great Sage so we decided to check it out. We had a dinner there on Friday night and a lunch there of Saturday. Appetizer we shared the ARTICHOKE SPINACH DIP - very good much more artichoke that spinach. For Dinner I had the CHIMICHURRI SLOW ROASTED SEITAN - very good and my husband had the THAI RED CURRY TEMPEH - okay but the noodles were soggy - would try something else the next time. We also shared their SAGE'S FAMOUS CARROT CAKE - disappointing - very dry. Lunch the next day was great we had the SWEET POTATO 'CHICKEN' SANDWICH and the GRILLED REUBEN - both were terrific. We look forward to going back again.

Pros: All Vegan all the time, Gluten free options, Friendly Staff
Cons: expensive - but you get great quality, We live far away from it
kaz814
kaz814

Delicious!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

I keep going back to Great Sage again and again. My favorites are the hummus plate, the spinach-artichoke dip, and the samosas (which, sadly, are only on the winter menu!) This is the restaurant that has made me seriously think about going vegan! Oh- and leave room for the carrot cake. Delicious!

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food, carrot cake
Cons: favorites are rotated off the menu :(
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Thanks for this review, we love hearing what our guests favorites are and we will pass along your love for the samosas to encourage that they return on a future menu. Smoothie season has arrived and we will debut our spring menu with a lot of exciting new dishes! Have you tried our Sunday brunch yet? We are happy to answer any vegan questions you may have also, as you can guess, we love talking about food!

vandrewv
vandrewv

Not enough good things can be said about GreatSage

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

Man this place is amazing. Try the Mac N Cheese, don't even think about just do yourself a favor. Tacos I had were delicious. Menu is constantly changing which is a good thing! Weekend specials are always pretty on point. Can be pricey at times tho!

Pros: amazing food, variety, excellent everything
Cons: can be pricey
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Did you try the tofu tacos for lunch? They will be added to our spring menu which starts soon! Our Adult Mac-n-Cheese is a staple on our menu and will not be disappearing so we do encourage, as do you, that everyone indulge in it, super delicious! Hope to see you soon! Happy Hour is a fun one too~ Tues-Fri 3-6pm with $3 drafts and a selection of $6 appetizers and cocktails

veganlibrarychick
veganlibrarychick

Awesome, all vegan, all the time!

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2013

There is nothing better for vegans than being able to walk into a restaurant and order ANYTHING on the menu! The cool decor, warm ambiance, great attention, speed, and deliciousness of the organic, vegan dishes all added up to a great experience. Even the take home boxes and sippy cups were earth-friendly! We ordered the kids' pepperoni pizza (Daiya cheese and vegan pepperoni), which was gobbled up by our toddler, the seitan and celeriac encroute, which was delicate but filling and AMAZING, and the seitan bourginon, which was tasty, too (seitan a little too chewy). For dessert, we ordered the carrot cake, which was really great but the frosting wasn't the traditional cream cheese and was too light, the flourless midnight cake, which was yummy, and the chocolate lava cake, which blew us away!!! The appetizers were pretty good- artichoke dip and spring rolls. Was also pleased to have choices of nondairy milks for the little one. Being next door to Roots market was another great reason to visit! Can't wait to come back for a different meal! You will leave stuffed and satisfied!

Pros: excellent ALL VEGAN food, clean and beautiful ambiance, quick delivery of food and eco-friendly
Cons: some dishes not as good as others, tables are pretty close together
cvoss11
cvoss11

Really F-ing good!

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

Had a wonderful experience yesterday when we decided to drive up from Sterling, VA. I've been wanting to eat here for over two years now and finally have! We had the Artichoke & Spinach Dip, 'Chicken' and tofu paella, grilled reuben and the chocolate lava cake. I know...it was a lot of food for the both of us but we had to try it all!! Everything had wonderful flavor and tasted very rich and delicious. Oh yeah, it was the best service we have ever had at any restaurant we have ever been to-the staff was very nice and made us feel right at home.

Pros: Customer Service, Tasty, Atmosphere
lesterville
lesterville

Loved it!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

Really enjoyed this place. My omni bf was pleased as well. Worth the short drive from Catonsville area. We ordered a lot of food. We had the artichoke dip, the adult mac and cheese (a must), the tacos, and a bean burger of some sort. Plus a nice bottle of wine. I am of the, you can never miss at any vegan restaurant as there are so many choices school. The decor was nice too. Got a huge peanut butter cookie to go as I was flying home the next day and I'm glad I had that on the flight! Service was friendly and attentive. Place was busy for a Tuesday night which always bodes well. Portions were good size. The other food we saw pass our table for other diners looked amazing too. Went to Roots Market next door after dinner too...very nice.

Pros: Selection, Service, Taste!
ohemgee
ohemgee

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

I adore this place! The food, the staff, the drinks, seating area, everything! I've been here for my birthday, veg*ns gatherings, or just for a nice dinner out.

Pros: vegan, organic, GF
Cons: time for food
candylkeme
candylkeme

First visit

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

I went to Great Sage since I have heard good things about their food. Unfortunately, I am not sure it was worth the 45 minute drive we made from VA. I honestly think there should be more of a sandwich selection and would definatly like to see more veggies.

Pros: Fantastic cole slaw, good prices, great appetizers
Cons: Many spicy entree selections, limited menu
ztokarski
ztokarski
  • herbivore

One of my favs

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

Ive eaten here with family and friends a few times. Each time I was happy with the food and staff. My 2 year old son loves the kids pasta. It is a bit expensive but it is nice to be able to go out and not dissect the menu to find something yummy and animal free. Salad gets old.

Pros: great food, good staff
Cons: price, it is far away
Guest
Guest

Definitely worth the drive!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

My husband and I heard about Great Sage some time back, but delayed going there because it is a fairly long drive from where we live in Arlington VA. However, once we made our first trip for Sunday brunch, we decided it was definitely work making it a regular routine - especially for the monthly benefit events for different animal advocacy organizations. We've had quite a few dishes, and all are excellent. The service and decor are great too ... and we love that fact that it's part of Conscious Corner, with a great grocer, gift shop, and pet food place in the same mall!

NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Good, But Not Great, Sage

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2012

One of my fears about moving to Maryland after living in NYC for 9 years was that I would not have nearly as many vegetarian restaurants to choose from, so I was excited to find this restaurant down the road from me. I was disappointed, however, though I would say that it is a decent place. I found my food (onion soup and a veggie version of meatloaf) rather bland, although my boyfriend's veggie chili was decent. I found the food to be too bland and too healthy for my likings, but mind you I am not the healthiest vegetarian in that way. I prefer soy meats and unique dishes of that sort, not the healthier options of lentils, bulgar, brown rice, etc. Those things are nice at times, but it's not really my thing... if you like those things, then you'd probably like Great Sage. Aside from the food, it is a nice place... staff and the atmopshere were nice. My only other complaint is that it is pretty pricey.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 10, 2008: I have been back to Great Sage a few times since this review, and I continue to enjoy it. I became vegan shortly after Great Sage went all vegan, so I appreciate it all the more now! I highly recommend the "adult mac n cheese"!

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Organic, Friendly staff
Cons: Pricey, Bland food
Took
Took

Absolutely Incredible

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Everything was perfect, so let me just tell you what we ate.

+ Adult "Mac & Cheese" (has rigatoni noodles, sundried tomatoes, cannelini beans, cauliflower abd bread crumbs). Soft with a crunchy top like a casserole. HUGE portion.
+ Winter Burger (lots of legumes and veggies forming this thick patty with a honey mustard-like sauce). This would impress the meatiest of eaters.
+ Black Bean & Corn Quesadilla (not too heavy, accompanied w/ sour "cream" and salsa.
+ Raw Seaweed Salad (tasty, light, fresh)
+ Chocolate Lava Cake with Coconut Ice Cream (much much better than the one we've all had at Chili's).

Will be back!!! We were so impressed. Did I mention fantastic service?

Pros: The FOOD., The beautiful upscale ambience., The friendly service.
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Thanks so much for the review, we are so excited to offer tasty vegan food to satisfy those looking for both lighter options like the seaweed salad as well as some comfort foods like our now famous mac-n-'cheese.' Hope you can stop in and try our delicious brunch, Sundays from 10am-3pm.

klinde0610
klinde0610

A Must Visit

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

Great Sage was the first vegan restaurant I ever ate at and I love everything about them! They are local, and close to home, they have great atmosphere and the staff is super friendly and helpful. Also, the staff seems to be the same each time I go, which is unusual in any restaurant and says a lot for the company itself.

They have amazing seasonal menus, weekly specials, gluten-free specials every Wednesday, a chef's trio special every Tuesday and half price bottles of wine on Thursdays (and live music).

I also love their special events and holiday dinners. If you are ever in the area, you must try Great Sage!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food , Seasonal Menu Changes
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Glad you have been able to enjoy our Tuesday Trio and Thursday music nights, what can beat live music and half price bottles of wine?! We also have happy hour Tues-Fri from 3-6pm. Providing the best service is of great importance to us, nice to hear you were treated well by our wonderful staff and hope to see you soon!

LynneDelaneyMcLaine
LynneDelaneyMcLaine
  • raw

Awesome Place to dine

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

The food and the staff are awesome! I've never had a bad meal there. Brunch is amazing. the reuben is my favorite sandwich!

savetheanimals
savetheanimals

top class resteront with great (100%) vegan food

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

I found roots on happycow. My mom took my 2 that area 2 look at apartments because I am moving somewhere in that area. We shopped at roots then had a great dinner at the great sage. At the great sage I had the black bean and roasted corn quesadilla. It is Black beans, sweet corn, green chilies, roasted poblanos, scallions and cilantro with melted Daiya 'pepper jack cheese' in a grilled tortilla. Served with salsa and 'sour cream' on the side. It was a great size meal but expencive. The sour cream tastes really bad but it is on the side so u don't have 2 eat any. 4 a drink I ended up getting coffie. I loved how the waitress asked "do u want soy milk,almond milk or coconut milk in with ur coffie". (she said a few other vegan milks but I forget what they were. I don't know any other resteronts that ofter any vegan milk) I chose soy milk. My mom got the thani 'chicken' salad which is Tossed with soba buckwheat noodles, toasted almonds, scallion, sesame,golden raisins, crisp romaine, peanut sauce and a light Thai chili vinaigrette.Topped with crispy rice noodle. She loved it. I think she had water 2 drink but I forget. Now I absolutely have 2 live in walking distance or have public transportation 2 conscious corner from my apartment. Luckily I haven't picked out an apartment yet. The problem is there are no apartments (that I know of) in walking distance or have public transportation that is in walking distance 2 roots. I can't drive. Please contact me by adding a comment 2 my happycow page if u can help me.

Pros: vegan, great food, they dont leave anything out top class
Cons: price, location
nicole.wead
nicole.wead

great food, good atmosphere and good location

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

Traveling for work I always look for vegan restaurants. This place was not a disappointment. The choices were good, I had the special. This was very good. I did get the raw chocolate mousse, this was a slight let down...super sweet more like frosting not mousse. But overall extremely pleased.
Great Sage is located in Conscious Corners which has shopping options for vegan and health/ nature conscious living. grab some dinner, do some shopping and grab some groceries.

Pros: excellent options, daily specials, atmosphere
sgoodmanesq
sgoodmanesq

Many hits

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2011

and some misses, but the hits are top-notch. The Adult Mac & Cheese is truly excellent, plus it has vegetables in it which gives the meal balance. For Sunday brunch, the Chimayo Burrito and Pancake of the day are stand-outs. A lot of misses on the dessert menu as well, but the tiramisu is very good.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 09, 2011

mantillab
mantillab

Great Brunch and Lunch

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

I've been coming to Great Sage since before they became a fully vegan restaurant and enjoy some of stand-out menu items. The best menus by far are the brunch and lunch menus. For lunch, the tempeh reuben and the Cesar salad are really wonderful and sure to please. For brunch, the cinnamon rolls and the biscuits and gravy are amazing. I used to love their tofu scramble breakfast burrito when it had ranchero sauce, but since they have changed it I don't enjoy it as much.

Try to avoid "lite fare" (everyday 3-5 pm) as the menu is very limited. The dinner menu is hit or miss and changes seasonally. I wish they would bring back the mashed potatoes!

For dessert, definitely get the molten lava cake.

Pros: all vegan, tasty lunch and brunch, dessert!
Cons: a bit pricey, limited menu during lite fare
Katiesmall
Katiesmall

NEW Summer Menu

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

Great Sage just began their NEW Summer menu. It very well may be their best menu yet! Stop by and try some of these great dishes....

NEW FOR LUNCH
PIZZA MARGHERITA PLUS A classic thin-crust pizza topped with pomodoro, vine-ripe tomato, basil,a hint of garlic, 'Parmesan', with the addition of sliced artichoke and pepperoncini.

SUPERFOOD BURGER Chili dusted, hot-off-the-griddle vegetable burger with black beans, brown rice, walnuts, flax seed, sunflower seed and shredded carrot topped with tempeh 'bacon' and 'pepper jack'. Served on a kaiser roll with Kettle potato chips. (Gluten-free option)

NEW FOR DINNER
RAW NAVAJO TACOS Crisp corn and flax seed tacos filled with seasoned jalapeno-pecan 'meat' served with cashew sour 'cream', chipotle salsa, guacamole and raw parsnip 'rice'. (Gluten free, RAW)

LOCAL PEPPER RELLENO Stuffed with black beans, corn, wild rice, and 'pepper jack' set atop green chili and herbed quinoa with sour 'cream' and cilantro. (Gluten free)

JERK SEARED SEITAN Seared in traditional Caribbean spices and accompanied by pistachio wild rice pilaf, sautéed local spinach, mango-mint salsa and roasted pepper 'cream'.

SUPERFOOD BACON BURGER Chili dusted, hot-off-the-griddle vegetable burger made with black beans brown rice, walnuts, flax seed, sunflower seed and shredded carrot then topped with 'pepper jack', caramelized onion, tempeh bacon, guacamole and smoky chipotle mustard with a side of Dijoncoleslaw. (Gluten-free option)

ZEN UDON BOWL Wok-seared local squash, baby corn, bell peppers, broccoli, sprouts and scallion topped with tempura tofu in harmony with a spicy sesame sauce over house made udon noodles. (Substitute portabella for tofu, Gluten-free option)

NEW FOR DESSERT
PEACH NAPOLEON Coconut pastry 'cream' separates vanilla poached peaches from light, crisp cinnamon-dusted phyllo layers.

WARM CHERRY COBBLER Summer Bing cherries baked with a crisp cinnamon walnut topping. (Wheat free)

SEASONAL BERRIES Local, organic, topped with a light sprinkle of powdered sugar and whipped 'cream' (Gluten free)

Pros: Fresh, Organic, Innovative
jennlibera
jennlibera

Loved it!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

I visited my brother in the area and insisted on going here since there are absolutely zero vegan restaurants where I live. I was SO happy with everything. Nice atmosphere, delicious food (both my brother and his fiance are non-veg and they loved it too!) The humus to start was WONDERFUL and the molten chocolate cake was REALLY good. I actually didn't order it, but we were all stealing bites off my brother's fiance's plate. I'm going back when I visit in May. YUM!

Pros: Cute place., Great Food!, Try the chocolate cake.
Cons: Tad expensive...
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Hi there, we are so happy that you enjoyed your experience here at Great Sage! I love that your non vegan family/friends were able to experience how filling and tasy vegan food is! Hope to see you this month, let us know when you are stopping by! The chocolate lava cake is award winning and always hard to pass up!

C.Icore
C.Icore

Nice for a treat

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

We are fans of the Great Sage and have been there many times through the years. And I do agree with some of the posters that the food has changed, some dishes are bland or do have mock meats, some dishes are really expensive, and others are just wonderful.

The problem is that vegan cooking isn't cheap if you want to use good ingredients and have a nice location. They do have a great wait staff and other events as well. However, as I have to agree, it's not for every day. And you should look at the menu before you come. It's not for the picky eater or those needing to watch the bill.

That being said, we'll go back. We've never been treated badly, even though sometimes it can take a REALLY long long time to get your food. Maybe soon they will offer smaller portions for cheaper prices.

Pros: unusual dishes, nice staff, pretty environment
Cons: expensive, time consuming
  • Katiesmall Katiesmall

Thanks for your review, we really appreciate any and all feedback, we are always looking to grow and be more creative. Have you been able to try some of our recent spring menu items?

DC Vegan
DC Vegan

Much, much improved

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2010

I have been to Great Sage a number of times and seen a number of changes, including its conversion to an all-vegan menu (they used to offer dairy options), save for one or two items with honey. As it's nowhere near public transit, and I don't drive, I usually have to have someone drive me. I hosted an event for the local vegetarian society here today. The atmosphere has always been friendly and bright, but the food quality has varied. Today, the food was excellent. My boyfriend and I started with the Bavarian pretzel with dipping sauces, and it was fantastic. I got the Southwest Ranch "Bacon" Wrap (tempeh bacon) while he got the day's special, an open-faced "turkey" (crispy Tofurkey slices) sandwich with mashed potatoes and butternut squash gravy. There do seem to be a number of analogues, not that I mind, as long as there are plenty of other things to make it interesting--like a beautiful Black Beauty smoothie.

The server did an excellent job with the party, including the splitting of checks. He was friendly, attentive, and very competent.

If Great Sage were closer, I would probably want to go more often, even if it is expensive--I want to try that tofu dish. If you get up to Great Sage, don't forget to check out Roots market, Nest (a green gift store) and Bark (a green pets store) while you're there.

Pros: all vegan, delicious food, beautiful atmosphere
Cons: a bit expensive, nowhere near public transit
girlchristie
girlchristie

Best Ever!

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Hand down, the Great Sage is one of my favorite veggie restaurants in the world. The atmosphere is cozy, but slightly upscale, the staff is very nice, and the food is out of this world! I was a little disappointed when the chocolate lave cake left the menu, but I think it's back on now. If you are in the area and vegan/vegetarian, you NEED to check out this restaurant!

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Jaelus
Jaelus

Best vegan restaurant in the whole world!!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

This place is so good I don't even know where to begin. The decor is fantastic. The staff is friendly. From the apps to the desserts everything is absolutely delicious. They serve brunch, lunch, and dinner, with different menus for each, and they have an ample amount of specials that change out every couple weeks to keep it interesting. Some of the nicest staff at any restaurant as well. Always pleasant and helpful! Make sure to save room for dessert, especially their famous carrot cake!

This place is in a strip mall called the Conscious Corner in which there is also a really great natural foods store, pet food/supplies store, and natural boutique. My wife and I absolutely love this restaurant, but it's quite far from us (over an hour). Even so, we find it very convenient to go at least once a month since we can also do our grocery shopping etc.. there as well and get some great products just next door.

Pros: Exceptionally convenient location, Outstanding food, Super friendly staff
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Excellent Dining Experience

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2010

I had the fortune to eat lunch at Great Sage yesterday and was really impressed. The food was great, the service was wonderful, and the atmosphere was pleasant. Price-wise, lunch seemed to be much more reasonable than dinner.
Additionally, the spinach artichoke dip made with daiya cheese was fabulous.

Pros: great atmosphere, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: bit expensive
vegtastic
vegtastic

Perfection

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

Great Sage is my favorite restaurant on the planet. I have been to Candle 79, Real Food Daily etc but Sage has jumped to the top of my list. Spectacular food and service.

They do have a new menu as noted by the previous reviewer but holy happycow is it a beautiful foodscape. I just pulled up the menu online to check out the "strange selection of fake meats and fake cheeses" and here is the list of dinner entrees:

Herbed Quinoa with Shiitakes, Grilled Vegetable Terrine, Truffled Polenta, Basil Potato Gnocchi, Panang Red Curry, Artichoke Mushroom Paella, Great Sage Chili and Brown Rice, and Seitan Wellington.

Sounds pretty vegcentric to me.

Either way, Great Sage is absolutely my favorite restaurant on this earth. I'd eat there every single day if it weren't a 45 minute drive!

Pros: so tasty, a+ service, reasonably priced
Cons: not close enough to my door
grutz
grutz

A longtime favorite ... but sometimes off the mark

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

I love Great Sage and have loyally dined at and recommended it since it opened. The food is tasty, creative, healthy, and largely vegan. Try the blueberry pancakes and cinnamon buns on Sunday brunch ... or spinach and artichoke dip or black bean tostada as an app ... and the fruit crisp for dessert. The portions are just right- complaints about small portions are caused by portion distortion!

I've been disappointed at some of the menu changes of late- my favorite dishes (veggie cakes, lentil loaf, coconut spinach)removed and replaced with a strange selection of fake meats and fake cheeses. I know some vegans like this processed approach to eating, but I like vegetables, fruits, and grains! In response to reviews about "blandness," Great Sage has kicked up the heat in almost every dish, leaving the spice-averse like myself with few options. I get that chefs grow bored with the same menu, but at least keep the best stuff around!

Pros: creative, vegan, healthy
Cons: pricey, fake meat
aroutt
aroutt

Fantastic Experience Every Time

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2009

I started going to Great Sage about 6 months ago. I stopped by once to get a cup of organic coffee and could not believe how attentive the staff was. They saw that I had a laptop and told me that they would find a table with an outlet in case I needed to get some work done. I stayed for a few hours, had the best Curry Panang I have ever had in my life along with a glass of terrific organic white wine. And to think....I just came in for a cup of coffee! Well now I am a regular and have gotten to know the staff and genuinely nice owners. They really practice what they preach. I have learned that they are very involved in the community by supporting local farms, sustainable living, and are very generous with many worthy causes. (It turns out they own all of the stores in the corner....Roots, Bark (pet store) and a cute boutique....I think it is called Nest. From the beginning the Manager on staff (I now know both of them by name) has greeted me, made sure everything was to my satisfaction, and handed me valuable coupons for the other businesses when I leave. What a great deal! I know it's cliché.....but ..... it is the place to go where "everybody knows your name".'

Pros: Great quality food, Unbelievable Service, Valuable to the community
Cons: none, none, none
nardanddee
nardanddee

Impressed!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2009

I LOVE this restaurant. The entire 'corner' is great. From clothing to groceries to pet supplies. But the restaurant owner greeted me at the front door (and provided me with coupons to the other natural stores in the shopping center) and everyone was super friendly. I love that you can go vegan or stay vegetarian on every menu item. Had I not known that they were a cruelty-free eating venue, I would not have been able to tell from the flavorful meal that I had there. The ingredients were fresh and everything was seasoned to perfection. What ever you decide to get while there...please save room for dessert! It's out of this world!

Pros: healthy cuisine, large portions, small price
condekedar
condekedar

Room to improve

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2008

I liked the atmosphere, concept and location of this restaurant. Service was friendly and prompt. But the food didn't stand out in my mind. My tomato tofu curry was a poor approximation of an Asian dish (though it was called a "fusion" dish) and makes me wonder if I shouldn't have ordered the meatloaf instead. My friend's penne-basil dish was much tastier, which gives me a hint that this place does European/American food better than any other genre on its menu. Our Earth Day-special "dirt cake" was minty, moist and delicious; our carrot cake, however, was mediocre and its frosting was overpowering. On a whole, I think Great Sage can improve, but they seem to be on the right track and I appreciate that they opened up in a difficult, remote, suburban area.

Pros: Gutsy location, Atmosphere, Service
Cons: Bland food
cookiem
cookiem

Wondrous experience!

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2007

My friend and I loved this place! My fav place in Maryland, possibly in the greater D.C. metro area! The service was nice, the decor was soothing, the food was divine, the portions substantial and it's organic, vegan and amazing! Don't miss it! Some folks complain about waiting, but if you go early, you won't have to wait! The seitan is scrumptious and the carrot cake is lovely! Don't forget a mint cookie shake! Soy or rice! I just wish they had more for me to try, but I'll keep trying what they do have!

Pros: Organic, ambience, portions
Cons: More dessert, More entrees
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Highly recommended. :-)

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2007

Great Sage is the nicest vegetarian restaurant I've been to in Maryland, both in terms of food quality and atmosphere. Here's a link to their menu: http://www.great-sage.com/Menu.html Their menu is well-labelled not only as to what is vegan, what is not, and what can be veganized, but also what is gluten free, soy free, etc.

Most of the food is quite good, although there are a few items that are so-so. I highly recommend their Indian Vegetable Cakes which come with a variety of delicious items as well as the cakes, including cashew spinach, mango date chutney, and a rice pilaf. Also, I like their Americana, a delicious vegan interpretation of meatloaf, (served with mashed potatoes and gravy if you order it at dinnertime.) On their lunch menu, I highly recommend the BBQ seitan. Also, my omni partner finds their vegetarian ruben to be the second-best vegetarian ruben he's ever had. Their Caesar salad, without the cheese, is one of the best vegan Caesar salads I've had anywhere. And their must-have sinfully delicious dessert is their lava cake, better with their vanilla soy ice cream than their rice ice cream. We also like their chocolate mint shake. :-)

One disappointing menu on the menu is the Thai stir fry, which has a very thin, weak, green curry. Their southwestern burger is okay, but not great.

The wait staff is quite good on weekend evenings, but often new and inexperienced at lunch time on week days. Note that they sometimes run out of items, particularly their Americana. Also, they are quite good about making substitutions if, for example, you want something instead of the potato chips offered with one dish or the vegetable offered with another.

Pros: Mostly excellent food, Organic ingredients, Very vegan-friendly
Cons: A few so-so items, Sometimes run out of their best items
ahaus829
ahaus829

Gourmet Vegetarian

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

A true gem in all of Maryland! Great food, delicious brunch, and a uniquely artful design. We love this place! The vegan desserts are wonderful. Also try the organic cocktails!

Dear Owner and Manager of Great Sage:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Clarksville page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/03/05