Great Basin Community Food ...

A cooperative market that's open to the public. Offers some prepared foods. Stocks fresh local produce, vegan and vegetarian items, natural grocery, and more. Previously on Plumas Street. more-less
240 Court St

veg92
veg92

Our amazing Co-op!

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Since moving to its new downtown location on Court st. the co-op has become a true one stop shop! They have a huge selection of grocery items, and all organic and natural (i.e. organic but not yet certified) produce from over 70 local farmers and other producers from within our food shed. The store now has a large selection of beer and wine, and even a few local items and gluten free options! There is also a fully stocked wellness department that includes supplements, vitamins, personal care (even bulk Dr. Bronner's!), household and cleaning items, and general merchandise. You can also find baby and pet food here. The store is so large now that there are two floors and plenty of room to bring in shopping carts (you can even bring them up the elevator). There are also prepared foods available made fresh daily. Breakfast and lunch burritos (vegetarian and vegan varieties), soup of the day, pastries, sandwiches, spring rolls, salads, hummus, guacamole, tea, coffee, and more. There's also a community dinning room where you can enjoy your food or sit out on the balcony while you eat. There are also classes and movie screenings held in that space. By the end of the year, there are plans to have a cafe/deli/juice bar in that space and I can't wait to see it unfold!

The decor is really neat because they utilized a lot of old bike parts to make the railings for the stair wells, and they have a cob tree right in the middle of the main floor - home of the chocolate bars! The whole place just has a great feel. The store is open to the public, so membership is optional but encouraged. It is a member owned store after all! It's only $20 a year and comes with some great little side benefits. Namely supporting local farmers! Woo! But the discounts don't hurt either. ;) Congratulations GBCFC for a successful move and a beautiful store!

Pros: Local, fresh, organic, Member-owned; builds &supports community, Everything store
Cons: Could use another register
KillTorres
KillTorres

Finally

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2009

It's stupid, I realize, but I never went to the Co-op at their old location off Wells. For some reason, I just never thought it was shop-able. Whatever that means, right?
But they just moved close to my house and I find myself there all the time picking up the local carrots and green onion that I need to make the perfect soup for dinner or meusli fixin's for breakfast. Or I'm down to my last roll so I swing by to scoop one up.
Downtown has needed a grocery store for far to long!
Yeah, there's a lot of spendy veggie boutique packaged treats you can blow a paycheck on but I think they have the basics well covered.
It's just a tiny little bugger so 3 or 4 shoppers is a serious crowd and backup at the checkout line.
I do wish they had fresh bread (Frozen breads are available) and I wish they had beer or booze or wine but I bet there are some valid reasons for that so I don't hold it against them.
Just a heads up, they do have a surcharge for using an ATM or debit but you know better and should be using cash at local businesses anyway so shame on you for not planning ahead! Don't make our community pay for your conveniences Mister! (yes, I'm kidding. Well, sort of)

Pros: Fresh Local Organic, Friendly Staff
Cons: No booze

Dear Owner and Manager of Great Basin Community Food Co-op: