An environmentally conscious cafe serving vegan food, raw food, and gluten free. No American Express card accepted. In 2014 relocated from Calgary. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Canadian

chel534
chel534

I Like It

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2015

Gratitude Cafe has a great selection of vegan items. A little bit pricey for me, but it's fair because the menu seriously delivers in flavour and quality. Cute, cozy space.

Pros: Delicious food, Great variety on the menu, High quality
JordanVeg
JordanVeg

Pleasantly surprised

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2015

After reading some reviews, I wasn't expecting much in terms of service - but I am glad to be proven wrong. The two ladies working were so lovely and welcoming, and it really did feel like you were sitting in their living room. I had the soup of the day, a mushroom and cashew 'steak' soup with a carrot bun, my partner had the veg quesidillas. We both demolished the food, it was really delicious and filling. the 'no bullshit' attitude of Gratitude, along with the fantastic names and general atmosphere made it a refreshing place to eat.

Pros: Amazing concept, great food and nice atmosphere.
Cons: Pricey, and I can see how the owner's blunt attitu
thevegankelly
thevegankelly

The Food is Worth the Unorthodox Customer Service

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2015

OK, I will admit right off the top that I understand why so many people have complained the owner, she is blunt and a bit abrasive, but she shows appreciation for customers who can handle her and don't waste any food. Waste and environmentalism seem to mean a lot to her, and I think that's where a lot of her disagreements with people originate. I don't agree with charging people extra for not finishing their food when they're paying full price for it, but I think her concern for the environment outweighs her concern for what people think of her. She won't even upsell, and in fact will tell you to order less if she thinks you won't be able to finish it. I've got to respect a business owner who puts her passion above her bottom line.

With all of that out of the way, I will say that I love the food. There is nowhere else in Kelowna to get this kind of vegan food (that I know of yet), and it's lovely to be able to go there and get a delicious raw or cooked dish, a warm carrot bun, and a raw dessert. I never have to worry about being charged for waste because I never leave a bite behind. The prices are a bit expensive, even for this kind of food, so we don't go very often. If it were cheaper I think we would go too often!

Pros: Great food, Environmentally responsible place, Good menu
Cons: Expensive

lindatheveg
lindatheveg

Not so super soup

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2014

We stopped in one afternoon for a bowl of soup and warm carrot bun with coconut butter. The "cheesy" soup was disappointing in taste and a little hard on the digestive track, while the carrot bun was quite lovely.

Pros: Geat location, Fun concept (games and comfy setting), Fast (the place was empty)
Cons: Unorthodox customer service, Needs a good soup recipe, A little pricey
junipearl
junipearl

One of my favs

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I really really really like this place, despite the mixed reviews from others. I am a huge stickler for customer service and have never found their interesting take on it offensive by any means. People are too sensitive!
Every dish I've gotten here has been delicious. Whenever I go in now I just ask for the salad and tell her to put whatever she wants on it and she always makes the most DELICIOUS masterpiece.
Great spot for a cup of tea and a nice vegan, gluten free meal.

Only down side is the prices which are a little astronomical.

Pros: Food!
Cons: $$$
Duskyblue
Duskyblue

Food was okay

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

The food was okay, but the servrt was not very unfriendly at my friend for not wanting a certain vegetable on his pizza (although one could technically pick freely!). Was very strange.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: small portion sizes
kimward8
kimward8

Good Vegan Milkshake

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

I had an chocolate almond milkshake, and it was really delicious. We had the soup of the day, which was broccoli and hummus, but tasted kind of like miso vegetable. It was really good.

We also had the nachos, which I wouldn't recommend unless you like raw food. They do not use Daiya cheese unfortunately, instead they use cashew cheese (supposedly, it tasted like a creamy cilantro dip to me, and I've made plenty of cashew cheese). So I would not recommend those nachos if you bring an unsuspecting omnivore as I did. They were kind of like corn chips with a salad on top. But I do not like raw food in general. I would definitely go back and just be a bit more careful in avoiding the raw food options.

Our server was really nice and friendly and knowledgeable about the vegan options.

ozzyprv
ozzyprv

Okay food

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

The food is dencent-good but the service needs improvement. Not sure why the server(s) seem to be a little overwhelmed and bothered by the questions we had a bout the menu. Oh, they had some kids colouring books, but no booster chairs.
I may go back if I am around kids free.

Pros: Wide selection of vegan dishes
Cons: No booster seats
EmStephenson
EmStephenson

Excellent Dinner

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

After reading reviews of poor service but great food, I took a chance and went with a friend to Gratitude. I figured our combined sense of humor could offset any bad service we received. I'm so glad we went. The service was attentive and prompt, the food was amazing - the taste and presentation was superb - and the atmosphere relaxing. There was one customer who had a completely valid complaint however she was less than tactful and shrieked like a fishwife at the staff before exiting. Chalk that up to the entertainment portion of the evening! We enjoyed lattes, an eggplant appetizer, a falafel salad, a curry with brown rice dish and ended the meal with a gluten free vegan slice of cake. Left feeling very satisfied and content. The tab was a little pricey but worth it.

Pros: Delectable food, Ambience, Service
Cons: Price
lauraismynametoo
lauraismynametoo

Amazing!

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

I happened upon this little gem while shopping in the area. My meat-and-potatoes friend was even more impressed than I was. The atmosphere is very laid back ("bored" games and other passtimes are abundant)so don't stop in if you're in a hurry. Some of the best vegan food I've had to date and decor is also quite pleasing.

I had some minestrone soup which was the best I've ever had. The chili was delicious with the perfect balance of spices. The guacamole and salsa which accompanied the entree were also excellent.

It will be my frist stop when I'm back in the area!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, convenient location
pfalvo
pfalvo

Incredible Meal

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

Amazing place - great location - very entertaining place to get a great meal. We really liked it.

Pros: Location, Food, Games
mkaw
mkaw

Great fresh food

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I loved the flexibility offered at this restaurant. There are several options where one can choose from a list of ingredients. They are very accommodating to each persons allergies and diet concerns. The "cheesecake" made from nuts was very tasty. The service was friendly and prompt. We enjoyed the little games left on our (and every other) table.

Rawtastic
Rawtastic
  • raw

Amazing!

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2010

My fiance and I enjoyed an amazing dinner at Gratitude Cafe a few weeks ago. He had the calzone, I had the pizza both were fantastic tasting and it was great to watch it being made right in front of us (as we were sitting at the bar). The person cooking our food turned out to be the owner, and we had a great chat with her. She was great to speak with and her honesty and willingness to engage in conversation was refreshing. I find that the vegetarian/vegan/raw world can be highly judgemental and pretentious in a lot of ways, this is not the case here. It's about good for you food that will rock your taste buds!!! The service was friendly and the wine was excellent. We loved it so much that we are going to the raw food Friday this week and we're taking a friend for some vegan brunch in May! We are laid back people and this was a great place for kicking back, enjoying amazing food and soaking in the ambience. We are also super thankful (grateful I should say:) that there is a restaurant that caters to raw foodists...if this Fridays meal is anything like the raw nut banana cream pie she served us, then we're going to be in heaven!
Definitely go and enjoy and be healthy and happy!

Pros: fresh flavours, joyful ambience, great people
alphatherapy
alphatherapy

Grateful

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2010

Gratitude is my new favorite venue for almost every occasion of my life- friendly coffee dates, business/client meetings, a good meal after a workout and the list can go on.
Firstly, the environment is clean and fresh with still a relaxed atmosphere. The menu is unique- combination I would make myself but never make the time.. I am particular with my diet, especially because of my food allergies. Fresh ingredients, great prices and proportional servings for a fair price. The staffs are professional and very friendly. Extremely attentive making sure my glasses are always filled. Ready to answer my questions!
This business idea is fresh and well located. You will see me here at least once or twice a week relaxing with a good book or laughing with loved ones!

Pros: Fresh Menu, Attentive Staff, Clean
Cons: Tea selection, Parking
lynn785
lynn785
  • herbivore

Excellent!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

Had a great experience at this lovely vegetarian/vegan resturant! Staff where friendly and knowledgable, i'm new to vegetarian eating but some of my friends that I went with have been following vegan diets for years and where impressed with the menu. The food was excellent especially the vegan milkshake sooo good! I would recomend this resutrant to others and will be going back many times!

Pros: Atmosphere, Food
Bearclaw
Bearclaw

Great Experience

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

I have visited Gratitude Cafe a few times now, and will defiantly go back! I had a wonderful server who was cheery and outgoing both times, (I think she is the owner). The pizza was amazing; I got to pick all the toppings I wanted from a list of ingredients. The lasagna was delicious as well and the raw food brownie was the best I have ever had! I was able to choose any activity or game I wanted, to occupy my time while I waited for my food. This restaurant is a great new concept that everyone needs to visit. I will make a point to return to Gratitude Cafe next time every time I am in the area.

nspanee
nspanee

not overwhelming

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

i didn't know what to expect from the cafe.
the menu was kind of confusing for me. im from switzerland not to bad in english but i still found it kind of a mess.
there are not a lot options for vegans, probably its because its more of a cafe then restaurant. i went for the burrito. it was nice to choose the veggie ingredients of it. the burrito came and the one part was warm and the other cold. what i didnt know was that the veggies will be raw(or just cold). if i knew i would have chosen sth else i guess. the service was okay. the person had kind of a loud voice but not unfriendly.i cant remember the prices but i prefer to pay a bit more for better quality.

marlasinger
marlasinger

Choose Your Own Adventure

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

The experience at Gratitude Cafe is contrary to any other dinning experience I've ever had. We chose our own seats, which games to play, and everything we wanted on our pizza (which was to die for). While I can see a few of the reviewers here don't appreciate this, you can choose to joke with your server and engage in any sort of experience you'd like. I was served quickly and attentively. The vegan pizza was delightful! When I asked for additional ingredients not on the menu, my server found them in the kitchen and added them. The black hummus rolls were unique and delicious, as well.
I suspect anyone seeking a typical dinning experience might be a bit confused by the atmosphere at GC but I felt right at home.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: cold

Dear Owner and Manager of Gratitude Cafe: