Gratitude Cafe

Opened in May 09. Serving mostly vegan food, raw food, and gluten free food. No American Express card. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, Western, Canadian, American, Juice bar, Take-out
101, 227-10 St NW (Kensington)
Calgary, Alberta

junipearl
junipearl

One of my favs

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I really really really like this place, despite the mixed reviews from others. I am a huge stickler for customer service and have never found their interesting take on it offensive by any means. People are too sensitive!
Every dish I've gotten here has been delicious. Whenever I go in now I just ask for the salad and tell her to put whatever she wants on it and she always makes the most DELICIOUS masterpiece.
Great spot for a cup of tea and a nice vegan, gluten free meal.

Only down side is the prices which are a little astronomical.

Pros: Food!
Cons: $$$
Rachel16
Rachel16

LOVE Gratitude

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

LOVE this place, it's my go-to place in Calgary for great tasting healthy food. I always leave here feeling amazing! I especially love the lettuce cups and the mushroom burger, and the soup/sandwich combo is another favourite. For dessert the cheesecake and macaroons are the best :) There are also lots of fun games to entertain yourself with until your food is ready. I have always been met with exceptional service :)

Pros: Excellent healthy food, good value, nice atmosphere
Cons: Have noticed some don't appreciate the servic
Duskyblue
Duskyblue

Very unfriendly

2 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

The food was okay, but the service was terrible! We were treated very unfriendly. The waitress was quite aggressive and yelled at my friend for not wanting a certain vegetable on his pizza (although one could technically pick freely!). Was very strange. Also, we heard the staff arguing and calling each other names.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Staff unfriendly, small portion sizes
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

As good as last time

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

We ate here two years ago and it was great food. Since we were in Calgary, we ventured there again and enjoyed it as much this time. I had soup of the day followed by the curry, rice and salsa dish. My wife had the portobello mushroom burger. We had coffee and shared the coconut macaroons for dessert. A very satisfying meal and we will go again when next in Calgary.

Pros: Good location, Satisfying and healthy food, Pleasant atmosphere
bertramkevin
bertramkevin

Huge Disappointment

2 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

I've eaten raw food all over the world and even worked in a Raw restaurant and I'm sorry if the people of Calgary think that this is what Raw food is all about: Snooty service and overpriced food made by people who don't know what they're doing.
It's too bad...

Cons: overpriced, bad service, poorly put together food
Organika2013
Organika2013

Shockingly bad service + mediocre food

2 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

I am always excited to check out vegan + gluten free + raw restaurants when I travel, but Gratitude was such a disappointment, I feel compelled to write a review. The attitude of the employees was extremely undignified, in fact, abysmal. I was alone and chose to sit at the bar. Big mistake, as I could hear all the complaints and gossip of the chef and server, not that they were making any effort to be discreet. The cook boasted about how she told some people to leave, as they only wanted to order olives and a drink. She said it wasn't worth her time. I started to discuss options with the server, when the chef rudely interrupted and said there was someone ahead of me, waiting to be served, so I would have to wait my turn. I guess the reaction on my face showed my suprise and the cook responded sarcastically, saying, "based on the look on your face, I guess you are not ok with that." I actually felt like walking out at this point. But I was so hungry, having not eaten all day that I decided to take on the challenge of trying to stay in a zen zone, despite the pervasive negativity of the restaurant. By the time the French toast came, my enthusiasm for the food was nil. Furthermore, the 2 small pieces of French toast at $15 was way overpriced. I had really wanted a drink as well, but the server didn't offer and I was loathe to ask. This eating experience was the first time in many, many years, where I felt queasy eating food, which had the potential to be very good. Needless to say, I did not leave a tip, which is very rare for me. In retrospect, I wish I had left.

vegan frog
vegan frog

About average

2 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

The food is by no means wonderful, the presentation not amazing and the portions quite small for the prices charged.
But then again the kitchen is tiny and there is only one cooker which also delays service.
Not my favourite place in Calgary.

kimward8
kimward8

Good Vegan Milkshake

3 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

I had an chocolate almond milkshake, and it was really delicious. We had the soup of the day, which was broccoli and hummus, but tasted kind of like miso vegetable. It was really good.

We also had the nachos, which I wouldn't recommend unless you like raw food. They do not use Daiya cheese unfortunately, instead they use cashew cheese (supposedly, it tasted like a creamy cilantro dip to me, and I've made plenty of cashew cheese). So I would not recommend those nachos if you bring an unsuspecting omnivore as I did. They were kind of like corn chips with a salad on top. But I do not like raw food in general. I would definitely go back and just be a bit more careful in avoiding the raw food options.

Our server was really nice and friendly and knowledgeable about the vegan options.

ozzyprv
ozzyprv

Okay food - questionable service

2 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

The food is dencent-good. Nothing extraordinary.... but the service needs serious improvement. Not sure why the server(s) seem to be a little overwhelmed and bothered by the questions we had a bout the menu.
Oh, they had some kids colouring books, but no booster chairs.
I may go back if I am around kids free.

Pros: Wide selection of vegan dishes
Cons: Service, No booster seats
EmStephenson
EmStephenson

Excellent Dinner

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

After reading reviews of poor service but great food, I took a chance and went with a friend to Gratitude. I figured our combined sense of humor could offset any bad service we received. I'm so glad we went. The service was attentive and prompt, the food was amazing - the taste and presentation was superb - and the atmosphere relaxing. There was one customer who had a completely valid complaint however she was less than tactful and shrieked like a fishwife at the staff before exiting. Chalk that up to the entertainment portion of the evening! We enjoyed lattes, an eggplant appetizer, a falafel salad, a curry with brown rice dish and ended the meal with a gluten free vegan slice of cake. Left feeling very satisfied and content. The tab was a little pricey but worth it.

Pros: Delectable food, Ambience, Service
Cons: Price
alicewheaton_Cats
alicewheaton_Cats

No Wonder it was Half Empty on a Friday Night

2 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2012

At the restaurant, I ordered the special that the owner described in glowing terms as a plate with three different kinds of raw food. Instead it came in a bowl and was one big tasteless salad that had some dehydrated curry zucchini pieces, spiralized zucchini and big hunks of broccoli, including the stems, lettuce, and a piece of avocado, for $22.00. She said it came with garlic bread but not so. Imagine four raw food crackers as thin as a shoestring cut into 3 " lengths...I couldn't even eat a 1/4 of the salad as it was so bland and the shoestring garlic "bread" was so garlicky it was not palatable, and I like garlic.

Then I ordered the cheese cake and the nut crust was so thin it was only there in patches. The cheesecake portion had the consistency of vegetable lard that had been colored purplish. Again, I could not finish it. The owner came and asked how I was enjoying the meal and I said I have eaten in many raw food restaurants in Canada and the US and this is just a big salad. She said, "Yes, tonight's raw food is in the style of a salad!" and walked away before I had time to ask her why she described it as being served on a plate. Anyway, the service was as bad as the meal. I actually took a client there and was quite embarrassed about the whole event.

There is a vegan/vegetarian restaurant on 17th Avenue with a constant line up. When we left it was 7:30 and the place was still not even half full. The reason is clear....$30.00 each for a bad salad and even worst dessert.

Pros: Table water, parking, organic service
Cons: Bad attitude of owner, Tasteless food, Expensive for what you get
lauraismynametoo
lauraismynametoo

Amazing!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

I happened upon this little gem while shopping in the area. My meat-and-potatoes friend was even more impressed than I was. The atmosphere is very laid back ("bored" games and other passtimes are abundant)so don't stop in if you're in a hurry. Some of the best vegan food I've had to date and decor is also quite pleasing.

I had some minestrone soup which was the best I've ever had. The chili was delicious with the perfect balance of spices. The guacamole and salsa which accompanied the entree were also excellent.

It will be my frist stop when I'm back in the area!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, convenient location
pfalvo
pfalvo

Incredible Meal

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

Amazing place - great location - very entertaining place to get a great meal. We really liked it.

Pros: Location, Food, Games
mkaw
mkaw

Great fresh food

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I loved the flexibility offered at this restaurant. There are several options where one can choose from a list of ingredients. They are very accommodating to each persons allergies and diet concerns. The "cheesecake" made from nuts was very tasty. The service was friendly and prompt. We enjoyed the little games left on our (and every other) table.

Rawtastic
Rawtastic

• raw

Amazing!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2010

My fiance and I enjoyed an amazing dinner at Gratitude Cafe a few weeks ago. He had the calzone, I had the pizza both were fantastic tasting and it was great to watch it being made right in front of us (as we were sitting at the bar). The person cooking our food turned out to be the owner, and we had a great chat with her. She was great to speak with and her honesty and willingness to engage in conversation was refreshing. I find that the vegetarian/vegan/raw world can be highly judgemental and pretentious in a lot of ways, this is not the case here. It's about good for you food that will rock your taste buds!!! The service was friendly and the wine was excellent. We loved it so much that we are going to the raw food Friday this week and we're taking a friend for some vegan brunch in May! We are laid back people and this was a great place for kicking back, enjoying amazing food and soaking in the ambience. We are also super thankful (grateful I should say:) that there is a restaurant that caters to raw foodists...if this Fridays meal is anything like the raw nut banana cream pie she served us, then we're going to be in heaven!
Definitely go and enjoy and be healthy and happy!

Pros: fresh flavours, joyful ambience, great people
alphatherapy
alphatherapy

Grateful

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2010

Gratitude is my new favorite venue for almost every occasion of my life- friendly coffee dates, business/client meetings, a good meal after a workout and the list can go on.
Firstly, the environment is clean and fresh with still a relaxed atmosphere. The menu is unique- combination I would make myself but never make the time.. I am particular with my diet, especially because of my food allergies. Fresh ingredients, great prices and proportional servings for a fair price. The staffs are professional and very friendly. Extremely attentive making sure my glasses are always filled. Ready to answer my questions!
This business idea is fresh and well located. You will see me here at least once or twice a week relaxing with a good book or laughing with loved ones!

Pros: Fresh Menu, Attentive Staff, Clean
Cons: Tea selection, Parking
lynn785
lynn785

• herbivore

Excellent!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

Had a great experience at this lovely vegetarian/vegan resturant! Staff where friendly and knowledgable, i'm new to vegetarian eating but some of my friends that I went with have been following vegan diets for years and where impressed with the menu. The food was excellent especially the vegan milkshake sooo good! I would recomend this resutrant to others and will be going back many times!

Pros: Atmosphere, Food
Trudy Elmtree
Trudy Elmtree

Hooray for the Gratitude Cafe!

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

I've walked by the Gratitude Cafe too many times while living in Kensington to not have gone in.
Last night I decided to change this and treat myself to dinner. Upon entering I was greeted by the casual clean decor and peaceful ambiance.
I took a seat at the bar, which has a full view of their beautiful kitchen and put me nice and close to the personable staff. For dinner I had a bowl of the soup de jour, it was a pumpkin base soup, creamy, yet light, savoury and at the same time it had that mild sweetness I expect with all things pumpkin. A symphony of flavour. I also had the curiosity platter, which came with crispy flat bread, fresh naan and three lovely dips; tatziki, hummus and black bean. The tatzkiki was perfect, the hummus was well balanced with good texture and the black bean mildly bitter, which I felt complemented the hummus well. Also, as I was treating myself I had a lovely vanilla vodka cocktail that came with all the trimming including fresh cranberries and limes. The meals presentation was simple and elegant, I truly enjoyed the pleasant conversation with the staff and the ugly face photo album really made my night. I found the prices refreshingly low, the service great and atmosphere very comfortable.
I look forward to my next visit, I think I will have a glass of their vegan wine and slice of that vegetarian lasagna that sounded so yummy.
PS: The Gratitude Cafe is ultra kid friendly! (board games, puzzles, wall drawing... awesome)

Pros: delicoius food, great service, good value
Bearclaw
Bearclaw

Great Experience

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

I have visited Gratitude Cafe a few times now, and will defiantly go back! I had a wonderful server who was cheery and outgoing both times, (I think she is the owner). The pizza was amazing; I got to pick all the toppings I wanted from a list of ingredients. The lasagna was delicious as well and the raw food brownie was the best I have ever had! I was able to choose any activity or game I wanted, to occupy my time while I waited for my food. This restaurant is a great new concept that everyone needs to visit. I will make a point to return to Gratitude Cafe next time every time I am in the area.

nspanee
nspanee

not overwhelming

3 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

i didn't know what to expect from the cafe.
the menu was kind of confusing for me. im from switzerland not to bad in english but i still found it kind of a mess.
there are not a lot options for vegans, probably its because its more of a cafe then restaurant. i went for the burrito. it was nice to choose the veggie ingredients of it. the burrito came and the one part was warm and the other cold. what i didnt know was that the veggies will be raw(or just cold). if i knew i would have chosen sth else i guess. the service was okay. the person had kind of a loud voice but not unfriendly.i cant remember the prices but i prefer to pay a bit more for better quality.

marlasinger
marlasinger

Choose Your Own Adventure

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

The experience at Gratitude Cafe is contrary to any other dinning experience I've ever had. We chose our own seats, which games to play, and everything we wanted on our pizza (which was to die for). While I can see a few of the reviewers here don't appreciate this, you can choose to joke with your server and engage in any sort of experience you'd like. I was served quickly and attentively. The vegan pizza was delightful! When I asked for additional ingredients not on the menu, my server found them in the kitchen and added them. The black hummus rolls were unique and delicious, as well.
I suspect anyone seeking a typical dinning experience might be a bit confused by the atmosphere at GC but I felt right at home.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: cold
Jessica O
Jessica O

Unimpressed...

2 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2009

The food is not so bad, but the owner has completely turned me off the place. Food was average, but everything there can easily be made (and perhaps be made better) at home. Nothing special. Chili was served cold, and salad dressings were listed on a handmade tag on the waitresses breast. Nice atmosphere and a decent price though!

Pros: good price, nice decor
Cons: unsatisfying food, unpleasant staff, poor service
bobcat
bobcat

Never Returning

2 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2009

We went on a Friday night for the Raw menu...however we found out that the Raw chef was ill (i had to ask the server why we hadn't received the raw menu)...we were a little dissapointed, but I was starving and didnt want to make the trip to the Coup...so she comes over and she says..."Order the Sushi"...and that was what i was interested in anyway so i ordered. She was the only server on, so she was a bit busy....however the place was NOT full. 15 minutes later the food arrived (we needed a refill on our water that never came)...it came and i tried the sushi and was disgusted. The rice was extremely overcooked...i knew that she was busy, so i put the food to the side and figured she would be over to check in in about 5 minutes. 20 minutes later she had still not been over...so my friend approached her to tell her that the sushi was over-cooked adn i would not eat it...at this point she RAN past me, screaming "you didn't like the sushi?" When she came over, I said no it was gross, and had she been over sooner I may have ordered something else. We felt extremely unwelcome...she said to my friend "I saw her waiting for me, but I didn't know what she wanted" and when we explianed that we had been waiting a long time she said "you have to be patient and forgiving"...usually i will return to restaurants after bad service b/c it's usually a one time thing...however she was the owner...hmm.....nevver going back...which is a shame b/c the raw menu the week previous was YUMMY..

Pros: Good Raw Food
Cons: Rude Staff, Pricey
MissButterfly
MissButterfly

This place is AMAZING

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2009

This place is one of the best veggie restaurant/cafes I have been to in the world! It is extremely vegan friendly and everything was fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced. The staff are so friendly and chatty. Large wine menu with many vegan and organic options. Decor is really stylish =) There's also more to it than food and drink, you can read books, play games or whatever you like... If you are a veggie in the Calgary area you MUST go here!

Pros: fresh+delicious, very vegan friendly, good service+price
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Gratitude Cafe: