Boutique cafe serving wholesome, world-inspired dishes. 90% of the menu is vegan suitable. Sources unprocessed local, sustainable, and organic ingredients as often as possible. Opened in May 2012. Closed Mon. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, International, Asian, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

beckettthedog
beckettthedog

Nice Brunch

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2014

I was there for brunch on Sunday December 7, 2014. Small but varied brunch menu selection in a beautiful space with outdoor seating available. I had the Sunday Tartine, which was ok. Unfortunately I asked for the mushrooms to be well done, even though the server warned me that it was a baked dish, but I insisted and ended up with a rather dry tartine. I had iced coffee with maple sirup and it was splendid. Easy to find with the Happy Cow app.

Stevie
Stevie

Grassroots Pantry, Hong Kong

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

This was top drawer for me. 3 courses of great food and drink. No issues at all with service atmo. Very vegan friendly. At time of writing they also now have a café open next door called Prunes.

If you're at a stage of your life where you are on a tight budget, there's a lot cheaper in HK.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great food
happybull
happybull

Two green thumbs up!

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

Hard to locate if new to the area, but like most good things in life, it's well worth the time and effort once yon find it.

Excellent ambience, small cosy cafe set-up with very good service. Their Burdock fries are a fantastic must-try! Also sampled the quinoa-falafel and thai green curry, both did not disappoint.

I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Good service, Fantastic food, Excellent small cosy ambience
Cons: Just a wee bit hard to find

veganinseattle
veganinseattle

Exceptional Food and Service

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

I've dined at many of the top veg restaurants around the world. I'm always on the lookout for exciting new restaurants whenever I travel.

When visiting relatives in Hong Kong during the New Years break, we decided to splurge and try a 5 course menu at Grassroots Pantry. The sparse reviews reflected the relative newness of the restaurant.

But the few reviews I found here and elsewhere were uniformly positive. And the set menu for New Years Eve seemed very imaginative and creative.

We were able to get a table on short notice and had a lovely table for four reserved for us upstairs. The hostess/server greeted us graciously even though we arrived earlier than our reservations.

All our courses were exquisite except perhaps the forth course which lacked the high level execution of the first three courses. The dessert course, presented on a rectangular black slab, was simply divine and made up for the slippage in quality of the previous course.

If you are looking for an exceptional (mainly vegan) dining experience while in Hong Kong, Grassroots Pantry is a must visit.

Pros: Stunning Food, Gracious and Thoughtful Service, Focus on Local and Sustainable
Cons: Tricky To Find, Higher End Price Point, Small Dining Room
William Thomas
William Thomas

Great food, great service, great people

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

My wife and I had lunch at the Grassroots Pantry during our recent stay in Hong Kong. We had just arrived that morning and, after checking into the hotel, Grassroots Pantry was the first place we headed. We were not disappointed.

The restaurant is a little bit out of the way; it's hard to describe exactly where it is as it is sort of off the street in a sort of cul-de-sac of small shops. The restaurant is small, it has two floors but the upper floor has only one table that can seat four at most. Because it is small, reservations are requested but although we did not have any (again, it was our first day in Hong Kong), we were able to be seated upstairs. The decor is nice, earthy and clean.

The menu is limited but mostly vegan and very good. The menu itself has hand drawn pictures of the food, which adds a certain artistic flair to the restaurant. An interesting and nice touch!

It has been a few weeks since my wife and I were at Grassroots Pantry and I confess that I don't remember exactly what we had but I believe I had the tofu and potato crouquettes and another tofu dish while my wife had the green curry veggies. Both dishes were quite delicious. For dessert we had Happy Cow non-dairy ice cream, raspberry if I remember correctly, and our only regret is that we did not ask for more.

What really set the place apart, however, was the service. When we told our steward (Michael?) that it was our first time in Hong Kong, he made his recommendations for things to do and see and also recommended that we download the MTR (Hong Kong subway) app for our phones. He even told us how to access the restaurants WiFi (although I hope I have not broken his confidence by telling everyone that the Grassroots Pantry has free WiFi).

Our hostess and chef (Peggy?) was also kind enough to ask us how we were doing and if we enjoyed the food. We learned that she was born in Canada, raised in California and has a most interesting "Valley Girl" Californian accent that I confess I did not expect to hear on that side of the Pacific Ocean. Oddly, her accent made us feel at home.

All in all, we very much enjoyed the Grassroots Pantry and plan to return the next time we are in Hong Kong. The food is good and the service is great and there is something about it -- the food, the decor, the ambiance, and most of all the people -- that I really, really like.

Pros: The staff and the service is top notch!, The food is delicious, "Happy cow" ice cream get's special note
Cons: Location, in a side ally or cul-de-sac
jre8995
jre8995

Like being in San Francisco

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Very bijou, friendly cafe serving Californian style veggie food. Tasty and wholesome food, with very attentive service, but more expensive than a 'local' restaurant

Grande Poobah
Grande Poobah

My lovely local

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

This is my local, and I love it.

The menu is fairly short, but perfectly formed. The food is sourced locally, supporting HK's local organic farmers. Most food is vegan, or the dishes can be prepared for vegans. I can very highly recommend the Japanese noodles and then the blueberry cheesecake. Juices also good.

As well as the food the ambiance is fantastic. Grassroots is down a small side street, very quiet and private. It's a small cafe - maybe 30 covers - over two floors. The decor is cute, sophisticated and welcoming. I particularly like the crockery, but that's just me.

I've been here for lunch and dinner, with committed vegans and steak eating rugby players, and everyone's left happy. And you can't really ask for more than that.

Pros: great local food, friendly staff, lovely space
Cons: menu is quite short

Dear Owner and Manager of Grassroots Pantry: