Grand Floridian Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Casual, light-filled Victorian setting and overlooks the gardens and pool at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Lesser known fact: Disneyworld suggest guests ask to speak to a chef or a manager upon arrival to discuss meal options. Vegans please inquire about options and inform HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by glassesgirl79
thebonz95
thebonz95

NOT the same experience as other revieweer

1 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

Based on the other review and Disney's reputation, I went there with a friend with high hopes of actually getting to eat a great meal in the "most wonderful place on Earth"...WRONG! I informed them when I made the reservation and when I arrived and I was assured by both that I would be meeting the chef and awaiting a fabulous vegan creation. I awaited alright...waited forever and the chef never came out. When the waiter finally came to take our order I informed him that the chef had not come out yet and he said well that's because you are only vegan. I mentioned that there were no options on the menu, but that I was assured I would have dining fare. He then said to just pick something and we will hold the meat, cheese etc. NOT what I was expecting and he couldn't even answer my questions about ingredients so that I would know what to "hold". Finally the chef came out and basically said what's the problem you are vegan so just order something and we'll leave the meat and cheese out. The bright side is he did know ingredients, but instead of creating something wonderful or even substituting a vegan ingredient for one I choose not to ingest I just had to order off the menu and leave off all sauces, cheese, and butter. NOT SO MAGICAL :(

Pros: beautiful setting, great time with friend
Cons: no options on menu, no options given for vegans from chef, was made to feel a bother as a vegan
glassesgirl79
glassesgirl79

Grand Floridan is a surprising vegan treat

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2012

Prior to going to Disney World, I looked at various vegan blogs regarding Disney World and read good reviews in reference to the Grand Floridan Cafe and Chef TJ's accommodating vegans for dinner. When I arrived there for breakfast, we were asked about allergies and dietary choices ( he's vegetarian and I'm vegan)and after this, the hostess told us the chef would come to our table to discuss food choices based on this information. I didn't expect much, probably oatmeal or fruit but surprisingly, Chef Johnathan presented me with a plate of Mickey Mouse waffles with hashbrown potatoes along with an entire block of tofu which he turned into an awesome tofu scramble. We left full the Grand Floridan full and happy. If you plan on going to the Grand Floridan, make sure you let the staff know that you're vegan and then be prepared for a delicious vegan treat!

Pros: Accomodating for vegans/food allergies, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Dear Owner and Manager of Grand Floridian Cafe: