Graceful Vegetarian

Mostly vegan food. Specialties include hot pots and a large dim sum menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
7131 Kennedy Rd Ste 8 (Steeles Ave)
Markham, Ontario
905-479-8381

Open Mon-Sun 10:30am-10pm.

First Review by veggiewoman
Londie
Londie

I'd Marry This Restaurant Were It Legally Possible

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

I had the luck of visiting this wonderful place a while back and I have been dreaming of it ever since.. I am a voracious fan of dim sum and being vegan makes this difficult.. except here. I am still not sure if it was all just a wonderful dream, but as the other reviews would have it, maybe heaven IS a place on earth.

Puppy love aside, the food is excellent. Mock meats are their speciality - it makes for a fun, enjoyable experience instead of trying to weed through the menu in order to find something edible. Textures, tastes, quanities.. all excellent, the only downsides being it's location (though I'm sure to people in Markham, it's a lucky thing) and the prices making it a special occasion thing only. Both of these things are minor though as when I'm asked what the best food I've ever had was, I refer them to this little place.

Restaurant is clean, staff are fine and understand English; I went with a native speaker so that did help move things along faster but I doubt anyone else would have an issue with this.

I recommend Graceful Vegetarian very highly.

Pros: Wonderful selection, DELICIOUS, ..DELICIOUS
Cons: You might need a drive there
Warren Nelson
Warren Nelson

Very nice!

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

This is a nice restaurant, relaxing atmosphere (buddhist style) and the service is very good. I went here two weeks ago for lunch and really enjoyed the dim sum (all vegetarian). The food was great and the staff helpful to select dishes that were suitable for my diet (I do not eat egg). I would come back again and recommend to anyone who wants to try dim sum "veggie" style.

Pros: Excellent Food, very good service/atmosphere, good value
JK
JK

Dim Sum Yum

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

I have now been here twice for Dim Sum and it was very good. As someone with a dairy allergy or a strict vegan watch out for the deep fried items as they deep fry milk (a desert)!!!! I also worry about mock meats from China containing whey (as they now mostly do) but the staff had never heard of whey and didn't seem to know it was a dairy product.... However sticking with beancurd, tofu, gluten and things pan-fried or steamed, it is quite delicious.

Try the gluten platter and the stuffed curd rolls.

Pros: All Day Dim Sum, Nice Atmosphere - linen table clothes, Good food
Cons: Lurking Dairy, Too Bright
IzzyV
IzzyV

A wonderful jem

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

This out of the way little restaurant offers vegan dim sum! All the "meats" are mock so nothing to worry about on that side. The manager was super helpful on choosing menu items and his selections were great! A huge selection of items to chose from and really tasty traditional deserts. The red bean pancake was a pleasant surprise and I just can`t say enough about the great food. Pricing is good, less than $50 for a three course meal for two people, and all you can drink tea.

Pros: Large variety, pricing, staff
Cons: hard to find
dem
dem

Delicious, but difficult location

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

The Graceful Vegetarian is not an easy place to get to: It's located way north of Toronto in Markham, and it's located in the enormous Pacific Mall complex. Driving in that parking lot is not for the faint of heart. Taking transit from downtown Toronto is a monumental trek.

But it's worth it! The vibe at the Graceful Vegetarian is good and the place feels authentic. The server was nice and happy to answer questions about the menu. The menu is vast and the food was delicious. There were so many items that looked amazing and it was hard to choose just two. Their prices are definitely on the expensive side, but I feel I could taste the different quality ingredients make.

If it was easier to get to, I would go back more often.

Pros: quality ingredients, large menu, vibe
Cons: location, price
shirley1
shirley1

shirley

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

I recently ate at the Graceful Vegetarian and was very impressed.
It is a chinese food veggie restaurant. I had the corn soup with flaked (ham) protein in it for crunch and it was delicious .my husband had the hot and sour soup which he said was amazing.
We then shared the lemon chicken and a veg hot pot with fried rice. It was so delicious that we went back there the next night and I had the chicken with black bean sauce and another veg hot pot with tofu and greens. All very delicious.
The helpings were huge and both times I had lunch for the next day.
The wait staff are very knowlegabl and polite .
The price was very reasonabl and 2 of us ate for under $40.00.
I would definatly go back to this place.

Pros: great food, lots of variety, huge helpings
melskunk
melskunk

Wonderful atmosphere, can bring non-veg here!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2010

It's worth the trip to go here if you live in Toronto and are used to only downtown eateries. This was the first vegetarian restaurant I felt comfortable bringing my family to after I changed my diet and remains one of my favorites for special occasions. The lemon "chicken" is the best I've ever had, even real chicken, the sauce is wonderfully tart and the mock meat very tasty. The hot pot is perfect in cold weather and I especially enjoyed having mock-fish, as a shellfish allergy has prevented me from eating them for 10 years. All the dishes I have had have ranged from good (mock duck skin) to fantastic ( ginger "beef", mixed mushrooms with noodles..)
The room is spacious, beautiful and perfect for a romantic dinner and even more so for a family meal. The staff is very understanding and attentive, something I find lacking sometimes in other Chinese restaurants.

The food is not cheap but you can taste the quality. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, especially for the atmosphere.

Pros: Atmosphere, Delicious mock meats, large menu
Cons: Distance
yvettexo
yvettexo

My only complaint is that it's not Downtown!

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

Absolutely delicious, endless variety - i could eat there every day! I have never experienced such an incredible vegetarian dim sum experience. The mock meats are so tasty, and the portions are decently-sized for dim sum. Yes, the bill can add up, but it's totally worth it! It's one of favourite restaurants....wish I lived closer!

Pros: Fun & Interactive, Extensive Menu
veggie_burgers
veggie_burgers

saucy

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

the food is so good and there is such a huge variety of what you can get. you can get mock shark! but it is also pretty expensive, 5 items came up to $80 with the tax. best to go there with a group of friends or family as the food is great to share. it is expensive but so good.

Pros: yummy, wide variety
Cons: expensive, expensive, expensive
dgershon
dgershon

PERFECT!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2008

When we first tried this restaurant on the advice of some friends we saw a table full of Buddhist monks eating there -- we knew it was the real thing. It has since become our all-time favourite vegetarian restaurant. My wife cannot eat garlic, onions, or MSG. As strict Buddhists, they don't use any of these so she can eat anything on the menu -- which is a very rare treat for her. But, no matter what your dietary restrictions, Graceful Vegetarian is wonderful. Everything is always fresh and beautifully presented. Our favourites include the mock bbq pork buns, the snow pea leaves dumplings, the pepper steak, the mock sweet and sour pork balls, the mock goose meat, the crystal fold wraps, and many of the delicious soups. If you are at a loss of what to eat, the wait staff are extremely helpful. They always suggest things for us to try.

veggiewoman
veggiewoman

mock lemon chicken oh my

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2007

The ambience was ok. The food was really good. not worth a special trip to as there are quite a lot of vegetarian Chinese restaurants, but if mock lemon chicken is your thing then this is the place to eat. The sweet and sour mock chicken is very realistic (which is why I didn't like it much), but the mock lemon chicken didn't feel meaty at all.

Pros: nice staff, quick service, great selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Graceful Vegetarian: