CLOSED: Govinda's

Very small, cozy place with 12 seats. Serves set meals, currys, sandwiches, fresh baked desserts, breads, samosas, and more. No onion or garlic used. Directions: Walk along the railway tracks until you get to block 15, then turn left until you get to block 17. Address in Japanese: 東京都中野区中野5-17-10. SHUT DOWN Dec 29, 2012. Closed Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Indian
5-17-10 Nakano
Tokyo, Japan
03-33878998

First Review by bunjil

Great, but not what you might expect!

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2011

Generally great with good prices and a solid diverse menu. Inside is clean but quite cosy. And when I say cosy, I mean small. But this is Tokyo after all.

Those who have been to other Govindas type restaurants may be a bit perplexed by what's on offer. Think Hare Krishna via Macrobiotics and you're pretty much there.

Nevertheless, food is prepared with care and there is a great selection of magazines and cookbooks in both English and Japanese.

Pros: Diverse menu, Healthy , Well priced
Cons: Service a bit slow, Not much for fussy kids
squirrelgaijin
squirrelgaijin

Great atmosphere and value in interesting area

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I went here last month with my old omni roommate and a mutual vegetarian friend.
It's so cute! I love that it's so small because I think it maintains that friendly, home kitchen-like atmosphere. As soon as I sat down I noticed that they keep a container of nutritional yeast on each table. Amazing! I've never seen that in a restaurant before.
I thought this place was great value for money and despite not using garlic and onions, their food was flavourful enough (even for a hot sauce addict like me!). The complimentary herb tea at the end was a welcome and charming touch.

Pros: nice ambience, value for money, Nooch!
Cons: small so might be hard to get a seat
PlanetEarth
PlanetEarth

An OASIS of peace and veganism

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

Casual. Clean. Great ambiant Zen music. Funny service (cook reaches over the counter to drop off new plate and pick up dirty empty one). Tasty Japanese style vegan food. Lowest prices; 1200, or 1600 with dessert. Recommended. Unless you absolutely need a fancy decor, this place is a must find. Start off from Nakano station and walk East. Good luck, do not get lost. Arrive before 9pm. :)

Pros: Peaceful vibe, Cooking before you, Casual
Cons: 8-10 seats (might be good thing), Residential location(maybe good thing), No cons really

evissha
evissha

In one word Amazing !!

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2007

I have been vegetarian for years and have tried so many vegetarian recipes, but ones that i have tried here are just marvelous and have not seen that many varieties anywhere in the world. I am staying in Yokohama and working here for a month. But i do not want to miss the food at least on weekends and possibly make it on weekdays. Two nice girls with very friendly and polite nature to serve the food.. Eating here gave me such a piece of mind for vegetarianism.. I am going to be one of the regulars...

Pros: Varieties, Excellent food, Best people to serve
Cons: Little hard to locate
Sapna
Sapna

Very sweet and simple

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2007

Well, after walking nearly 45mins to try to find Govinda's, I realised that it isn't really that complicated. The problem is that the block numbers are all scattered. I would suggest walking along the railway tracks until you get to block 15 then turn left until you get to block 17. Once I arrived, I was surprised at how small the place was, but I was lucky to get a table. I ordered the spinach curry set. I ate it quite quickly and I think it's not because the portions were small, it was that it was soooo light. However, after my yummy berry berry tart, my tummy was satisfied. The place is run by a couple of cute Hare Krisnas who are very soft spoken and sweet. I ordered 4 samosas to go and later ate them with my boyfriend. They were heaven. A bit pricey (4 for 1000yen) compared to the price of samosas in Canada (3-4 for a dollar). They even have a members card and when you fill it (I believe it takes 20 visits) you get two pieces of cake! Everyone who came in seemed to be regulars and I think I'll definately be one too!

Pros: Good variety on menu, Good value for mains, Non-dairy, no sugar desserts
Cons: Hard to find, Not enough seating
mprescott
mprescott

A vegetarian oasis!

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

Wonderfully charming vegetarian place in a quiet residential neighborhood in Nakano. Takes a little navigating to find it, but it is well worth the effort. I had the basic set meal, and everything was delicious. The Berry Berry tart was amazing. I will definitely be stopping by again!

Pros: delicious food, calming atmosphere, amazing tea and desserts
Cons: wish I lived next door!
EARTHPEACE
EARTHPEACE

Best Restaurant in Tokyo!!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2007

My best reccomend!! various beautifl excellent food,but not expensive.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, good value
Cons: not easy to find
bunjil
bunjil

Don't know what that last person was on about!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2006

How could you complain about this place? Brilliant food. Friendly staff. Great little place. Would like to see more of restaurants like this around Tokyo. Go and check it out!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, no smelly tobacco

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Govinda's: