Govinda's Restaurant

Casual veggie food. On weekdays there is usually a set menu. All-you-can-eat 8 course meal on Sundays (confirm). Previously located on 200 William Street. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, International, Hare Krishna

First Review by thelink
FRUITnVEG
FRUITnVEG
  • fruititarian

Worth a visit

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

Upon our visits we have been told that everything is vegan except the deserts and salad dressing.

It does lack flavour & heart.

Pros: Huge portion size!, After 3.30pm they offer $5 meal deals, All you can eat for $10
Cons: Paper plates & plastic utensils
Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Flavourful Indian food!

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

I loved the vegan dishes at Govinda's Restaurant! They were full of flavour and the servings were generous. We received dahl, rice, a large pappadum, and a vegetable fritter with spicy chilli sauce which were all delicious! They were so inexpensive, the value was off the charts! The atmosphere was a bit lacking but I did go on a Monday at 5pm so I'm not that surprised. The decor is simple and it is also located in a good location though a bit hard to reach by car with the one way road. I would definitely go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive
Cons: Lacking atmosphere
Jph71
Jph71

disappointing visit

2 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

While in Perth we have this a go. We love our govindas but this restaurant seemed to lack a lot of flavour and heart.

IsabelleTamm
IsabelleTamm

My favourite place to eat out in Perth

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I have been going to Hare Krishns's since I was a kid whether it was the temple or the restaurant. Most of their food is vegan except for the pudding dessert, yoghurt drink, gulab jamuns and the odd curd chunks in curries (looks a lot like tofu).
I love all of their food, but mainly their samosas, pakoras and I used to love their pudding & custard desserts.
The atmosphere is great and calming with traditional hare krishna music playing in the background and lovely smells wafting from the kitchen.
I never feel awkward going alone (which is most of the time) and the staff are all friendly and helpful, just ask if any of the dishes have dairy in them.
It is really good value for money (all you can eat)with discounts for students.
There are great clean toilet facilities in the building and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of spice in their life.

Pros: Cheap, Amazing food, Toilet facilities
Cons: unnecessary use of dairy
Maddi
Maddi

OK for hungry vegans in Perth

3 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

My recently downloaded Happycow android app said this place was open for lunch & dinner only, but this is incorrect as it's open from 11am - 6pm daily.

The food is tasty and cheap and the day we went everything bar the desserts were vegan. It is advertised as "all you can eat" but we were served portions by the rather grumpy waiter and not encouraged to go back for more! It's a great place, but kind of basic. I would not discourage anyone from going, but just don't expect fine dining or friendly service. You get what you pay for!

Pros: Yummy food, "All you can eat" (apparently), Cheap
Cons: Grumpy service
berrygirl
berrygirl

Lovely food in a pleasant space

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Govinda's has now opened in a restored building, just a few doors along from it's original site. New address is 194 William Street. Friendly staff serve you vegie curry of the day with dahl, rice, pakora, salad and dessert. Drinks included (lassi, juice and water). All for $10 ($8 concession). I've always enjoyed their food and love the new space they've moved to.

Pros: Yummy food, Good value, Nice vibe
goldragon
goldragon

Nice Rest and Food

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2010

The food and the Restaurant is nice. pity they had to closed down due to Renovation... anyone know where they are now?

• sarcasticsquirrel sarcasticsquirrel

yes they are on William street, just a few doors up from their original location, closer towards the train station

moonbug
moonbug

Disappointing to vegans

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

I've been to Govinda's many times over the years. Whilst they usually have a main that is vegan, the sweets are not. Which is fine, even though you pay the same price without the sweets. I visited yesterday and enquired what was vegan on the menu. The staff said nothing was, but they could pick the whey/cheese out of the curry for me! I explained this wasn't suitable and left. Just a warning to other vegans about this disgusting attitude.

Cons: not vegan friendly, poor customer service
thelink
thelink

Always yummy

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

Wherever we travel Govindas's restaurants always serve up fabulous Indian vegetarian food for little money.

Perth's Govinda is no exception, so we enjoyed a nice big lunch there recently. Most of the savoury food was vegan. Unfortunately the sweets were not vegan so I watched the people at the next table enviously while they had their yummy looking Indian pudding.

Guest
Guest

GO Govindahs!

5 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2006

fell in love with this place after they had a stall at the big day out last year. a tasty three course meal for under six dollars, how can you argue with that?

Pros: cheap!, nice sweeties, cheap!
Cons: the yellow mop buckets, they use to refill food, weirdly happy staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Govinda's Restaurant: