Govinda's - Abbey Street

Hare Krishna vegetarian Indian food in the city centre. Uses dairy but not eggs. Usually 2 vegan dishes. Makes fresh bread. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Juice bar, Indian, Catering, Delivery
83 Middle Abbey Street (O'Connell Street)
Dublin, Ireland Dublin 1
+353-879921332
Closed now

Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm

First Review by Stevie
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Nice food, good value, leftovers don't get wasted

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

I managed to get here just before Govinda's stopped serving on a Sunday (7pm). To be honest there wasn't a lot left for vegans (no dahl - boo) but I got a plate anyway (medium) which was nevertheless stacked high with what was still nice food. The guy gave me a discount (end of the night not much left) but even before that I would have been happy to pay the full price. Also I was the last "customer" and there was still food leftover - which they sell at a massively reduced price to those that really need it i.e. people really struggling to make ends meet/those with no fixed abode, which I think is great.

Pros: Good value, Minimal waste
Cons: Lack of pure veg dishes (cos late?!?)
FabianaMi
FabianaMi

Always a pleasant meal

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

I've eaten here several times. There isn't much variety on the menu however there is always at least on vegan dish which is enough for me. The portions are huge for the price which is great. I've always thoroughly enjoyed whatever dish I ordered. The staff have always been friendly. This is a very relaxed place, more of a cafe than a restaurant.

Pros: The great food, Value for money, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Poor(ish) variety
Pamina
Pamina

Expected it to be better

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

I was a little disappointed with Govinda's restaurant, after I had read the good reviews here on HappyCow.
The guy serving us was quite unfriendly and the restaurant was not very clean, either. The meals were huge for the price and they tasted good, but they were rather like some home-made meals I could cook for myself any day, and not like I expected them to be in an Indian restaurant. They did not look really appetizing, either.
A plus is the good location, it is close to some of the important attractions and very easy to find!

So all in all I say: This is a good place to go if you just want to have a cheap, ok meal and be fed for the day, but not if you want to visit a nice restaurant and have an enjoyable visiting experience.

Pros: Very cheap considering the location, Easy to find, right in the centre, Huge portions
Cons: Plain and boring meal, Unfriendly service

Rochelle Fogg
Rochelle Fogg

Generous portion & tasty like your veggie mama's

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Good food at a reasonable price. Like the other Govinda in Dublin, too much cheese and dairy. The beans were yummy; the rice was properly cooked. No raw stuff the day we went.

Pros: Very tasty, Reasonable price, Homey atmosphere
Cons: too little raw , too much dairy
janetp
janetp

Great food at a good price

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

I loved the two vegan dishes I had here. The portions were very generous (I ordered a "regular" instead of the "small") and the price was very reasonable. It was exactly what I needed after a long bus ride from Galway and it filled me up for the rest of the day. Really enjoyed it.

Pros: Great vegan dishes, Huge portions, Reasonble price
MoneVPaesi
MoneVPaesi

not recommended!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

We went there yesterday evening ... And it was the worst food we had on our whole 10 days trip!!!

The portions are huge, so we shared a "regular" plate with two people, but left most of it behind, because it just did not taste good.

The place is not very clean, and we were actually happy to leave again.

I am really wondering, what kind of quality the Ingredients can have for that price!!!

Pros: huge portions, relatively cheap, friendly staff
Cons: did not taste good at all, quality of the ingredients for that price?, not clean
Veirs
Veirs

BRILLIANT

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

One of my favourite places to eat! Huge portions and really nice staff. The food is amazing too. Couldn't recommend it more.

Pros: big portions, many vegan options, nice atmosphere
mmm1220
mmm1220

Dublin Style Veggie Comfort Food:)

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

Went to find this restaurant on our first day in Dublin. So pleased with the food that we ate there again for lunch. Good location and enormous portions. Could not finish the small plate! Also bought some of their wonderful bread to have for breakfast. Soooooo Good!
Thank You Happy Cow!!!

Pros: Healthy, Comforting, Like Home
Cons: Bathroom
Swaq
Swaq

Tasty!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

My trip to Dublin and first dinner in Govinda's - it was tasty! A big plate with moussaka + another dishes and great staff.

Pros: excellent food
Northbenders
Northbenders

Veggie-Vegan In City Centre

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

My wife and I discovered this, quite by accident, when with a little homework, we'd of known about it before we got there. But however we discovered it, this is a very good place for the serious Vegetarian/Vegan to have good food at a reasonable price. Usually three or four main dishes, and be sure and check the allergy alerts. Their right next to the main menu, and list anything to avoid. Enjoyed the food, and

Pros: Good Food , Great Value, Good Staff
Cons: none, none , none
Blueberries
Blueberries

Tasty vegan Indian food

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

The food is tasty, filling and nicely spiced. There is usually more than one vegan option, they label the vegan options with a little 'v' on their blackboard. Portions are huge if you sit in, and if you get a take-away box you get to fill it up for €7.50.

Pros: Tasty vegan food/Big portions, Central location/Take-away available, Good value for money
Cons: No vegan desserts
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

Friendly, tasty and lots

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2011

I dined here with my father on our trip to Dublin, and we were pleasantly surprised!

The setup is simple: there are about four dishes cooked for the day, you choose the size of your plate and it's filled. And I mean filled! I had a medium plate and my father a big one, and we both had to leave some food behind. That's the first time I've seen that happen to my father, so that should be an indication of the portions. Don't try the big plate unless you're starved!

The food was basic, but very well made. Nothing special, but definately dishes everyone can agree with. And the prices are very, very low, especially considering the portions.

Pros: good food, large portions, friendly service
Eloi
Eloi

good affordable food

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

I like this place. It's also one of the in-eat-out places but its really inexpensive. The constant hare krishna music is too much for me though and I think they could get a lot more people eating there by changing the music

Pros: very affordable, decent food, convenient locations
Cons: constant hare krishna music
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Best Govinda Meal So Far

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I can't believe that I don't remember the main dish offered the day that I visited Govinda's (Abbey Street). It was absolutely the best meal I have ever had at any of the sizable number of Hare Krishna restaurants that I have tried thus far.

If you find yourself hungry, north of the Liffey, not far from O'Connell and the Spire, and not wanting to walk to the vegetarian "district" around South Great Georges Street then head to Abbey Street Govinda's. It's cheap, very filling, modestly healthy - you have the choice of what you want on your plate, after all - and usually really, really good.

Pros: Excellent Govinda's, Price, Filling
wildfang
wildfang

Decent food for a decent price.

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

We went to Govinda's once in 2009 and found only one vegan option out of the - about - six dishes there were. It was a curry with cauliflower in among other veggies plus rice. It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten but for 8€ in Dublin 1 not bad. The people were very friendly and for a quick, cheap meal I'd go there again for sure.

Pros: decent price, decent food
Colinski
Colinski

Lots of food cheap

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

My friend took me here while I was visiting Dublin recently. I have generally had good experiences at Hare Krishna restaurants. This was no exception. You got a lot of food, for relatively little money (eating out in Dublin is generally a pricy affair). The food was generally Indian-themed, but everything was spiced relatively mild, and nothing seemed particularly authentic. Sort of westernized dishes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, they had the worst samosa I have ever eaten. I think mainly that was because it was in a whole wheat dough that was baked rather than fried, so I can't fault them too much for not being able to compete with what is normally an oily mess in an Indian restaurant. Overal, I would go back. Note that they do have vegan options, but they were limited.

Pros: Large portions, Inexpensive
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

Not bad at all

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2007

Simple hearty fare, again light on the vegan options but what they served me was fine. 9euros for lunch and a ginger beer in the city centre isn't bad at all.

myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Good food, Not a lot of choices...

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2007

Govinda's features great food and (1) vegan dish a day a long with their regular menu which is quite small. Your choices here will be limited.

Stevie
Stevie

Govinda's (near O'Connell St), Dublin

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2007

I ate here this afternoon. Unsurprisingly it's similar to the branch of Govinda's already open on the other side of the river.

As usual I asked what they could serve me as a vegan vegetarian. I was pointed at both soups, 1 of the hot main dishes plus a bunch of salads. I went for the lot and very pleased about it I am too. It all tasted great and my taste buds were sending electrical impulses to my brain giving it a big thumbs up. Typically relaxed atmo as always seems to be the case in restaurants run by those very nice Hare Krishna people. Not unreasonably priced.

Located on the North side of the river just over the O'Connell bridge. Well worth a visit.

Pros: V V options, Tasty decent value food, Central location
Cons: Closed Sundays

Dear Owner and Manager of Govinda's - Abbey Street: