Govinda's - maybe closed

Little veggie restaurant serving soups, salad, curry rice, spaghetti, lomo saltado, samosa, spinach pie, dessert, juices, muesli, and vegetarian versions of Peruvian dishes. Has a few tables for seating inside. JULY 2013 NOTE: maybe closed/shut down, please verify and let HappyCow know. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Hare Krishna, Peruvian, Western, Indian
Calle Saphy 584 (downtown)
Cusco, Peru 084

lacasadebamboo
lacasadebamboo

Govidas in recoleta

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Govidas has moved to recoleta close to the beer factory. I havent visited yet, so will up date my review when I have.

marta red
marta red

good food

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

i am vegan and i went there for my first lunch in cuzco. i had the mixed salad and the veggie meat my husband took milaneza and we were very satisfied the food was tasteful and good and since they did not have a vegan dessert we asked for fried banana with honey and the result was very good. the very good price topped our positive experience

Pros: good food, good honest price
Cons: no vegan dessert, modest setting
dirty_boots
dirty_boots

Lovely desserts! New adress

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2012

They are now (March 2012) located in the crossing Shaphi-Amargura, just next to the police station. Quit many seats and friendly and quick service this time a year. They some lovely apple and walnut pies! The food was traditional hare krishna with some peruvian touch. Price alright too.

Pros: Nice local, Big menu, Vegan friendly

urpi
urpi

change adress

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

they are no longer in Espaderos, but in the street PLATEROS, around 5 blocks fromn the main square.

Cons: location
Jode
Jode

Delicious!

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

Delicious place to eat, fantastic pumpkin soup, interesting store near entrance, and great famil-run atmosphere.

TheHealthyBackpacker
TheHealthyBackpacker

Tasty and good atmosphere

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

I ate upstairs for lunch and paid 13 soles for salad, soup, main dish, and tea. The service was excellent and the meal delicious and healthy. They have three price levels of the plato del dia- 10, 13, and 15.

ailybaily
ailybaily

Just ok

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

Great location just off main plaza. Food was just ok, pumpkin soup was inedible but quinoa and veg soup were tasty but salty. Soy meat seemed more like gluten (which to a celiac was off putting). Fried potatoes and bananas were good. Total for 2 to eat was 60 soles.
Realised how expensive it was when we found another new veggie restaurant that offered soup and a main for 7 soles each! Cant remember the name but it is on Choquechaka(near the junction at San Blas). Much tasty food and nice funky athmosphere

Pros: Location
Cons: Expensive, Food just ok
meredith
meredith

not worth it

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

Cusco is full of really great places you can eat veg*n.... this was THE worst place I went to. As others said, the food was bland... not flavored well at all. I didn't get my drink I ordered (tea) until after the meal. Cost was way too high for this food, too, but the set menu seems like it could be a less expensive option (though it still may not be worth it because the food wasn't great)

BTW, this is not a language barrier. I grew up bilingually, have lived in South America, and been to S.A. several times.

Pros: decent location
Cons: bland food
islandveg
islandveg

Decent food

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

I had dinner there, small place, decent food, not really Indian, which I thought.

rheb
rheb

Bland food, a little too expensive

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2008

Went here for a set lunch, which was ten soles for soup, entree, and tea. The food was relatively bland-- a plain veggie soup, and an odd potato and soymeat dish without much flavor. The a la carte options are more expensive than at other veggie places in Cusco, and the set menu itself wasn't as good a bargain as the ones at El Encuentro and El Arbol.

Cons: Bland food, Too expensive
VeganTex
VeganTex

Govinda

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2007

Between the Govinda in Aguas Calientes and the Govinda in Cusco, I never went hungry on my trip to Machu Picchu :)
Great location by the main square!
-VeganTex