The deli style buffet and salad bar includes a variety of dishes with two main entrees each day. Food is priced by weight. Take stairs. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Buffet, Salad bar, Indian, Hungarian, Hare Krishna
V. Vigyazo Ferenc ut 4, V. ker. (near Széchenyi Tér)
Budapest, Hungary
06-1-2691625
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-8:00pm

First Review by carnilius
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Cold and average tasting food

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

I'd hoped to have a different experience to other reviewers but I was disappointed as well. It was cheap and the person serving us spoke English well. We went for lunch not long before 1pm and yet the veggies I ordered were cold, not even lukewarm. The pakora was tasty though, but also cold. My friend ordered the meal for 990 HUF but I wasn't impressed by any if it. I wouldn't rush back. I eat at the Hare Krishna restaurants in Melbourne and they are all so much better.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 28, 2014

Pros: cheap
Cons: cold, not too tasty
Marina Czarna
Marina Czarna

Lovely people

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Hare Krishna cafeteria-style North Indian inspired (much less heavy/greasy) vegetarian food; very tasty, very inexpensive, and very vegan friendly, with mountains of wholesome traditional cooking at your disposal. Ultra-enthusiastic service (in English as well as Hungarian) And a very Hare Krishna environment await you (get ready for some mantras with your meal... ). Super inexpensive and super satisfying.

MissRapunzel
MissRapunzel

just go there if you can't find anything else

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

We went there for lunch and took the daily menu wich was described with a vegetable dish, a soup, bread and a glass of homemade lemonade for 990 HUF

What we've got was a bowl of green slime something stuff, which was horrible sweet and not eatable at all. It looked and tasted just disgusting.
The soup and the bread was ok, but nothing special.
The lemonade was way to sweet, so I ended up even more thirsty than before.

Maybe the other food ist better, but the daily menu is not recommended.

Pros: inexpensive
Cons: not eatable slime as vegetable dish, dirty toilett, unfriendly staff

Yamnia
Yamnia

nice vegetarían food

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

Nice And tasty food
A bit moré expensive compared to other venggie restaurants in the City
Recommended

DaniM
DaniM

Yuuuuuummy!!

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

I have to admit that i had not thought this eatery would be that yummy when i first saw the entrance. It is very simple and you won't have the best impression first.
But then you just overcome yourself and try the food...and then...YOU CAN'T BELIEVE HOW YUMMY IT IS ACTUALLY!
You will get a huge portion of whatever you like (you can mix it together) and i only can repeat myself; it is that delicious!!
They also have great beverages and healthy ginger tea.
And on top, it ist very very inexpensive! Fantastic eatery!

Pros: Very Yummy, Very Inexpensive, Friendly staff
Cons: Not very nice draped
Ramanand
Ramanand

Super dinner

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

Delicious menu for two persons (Govinda menu). Cheap and great food: we had nice puri's with aloo gobi and paneer. The salad was also good. The three chutneys (tamarind, tomato and apple) and eggplant pakoras made this meal complete.

danielpoland
danielpoland

I was kicked off...

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2013

I went to Budapest after 6 hrs by car from Romania. I was starving! Goinda was the closest veg restaurant to my hostel. I was 40 minutes before opening. Doors were open so I went there. Someone from the staff a girl (propably seller) behind the bar was talking by phone. After 10 min. she ended her conversation. She looked at me and without "good mornig" or "hi" she announced: "We're closed!". There was a lot of food in the heaters so I asked if I can take anything "to go"? Lady scream at me "NO! WE'RE CLOSED!" and show me the way out...

Cons: staff
rosie
rosie

good for a cheap eat

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

Good value, particularly their set meal deals and is a nice chilled out place to sit for a while. Had a set vegan dinner - soup, couscous dish, salad and fresh lemonade for about 1500 HUFs. The food isn't the most refined I've ever eaten but for a cheap filling fill up it was great. They have free wifi too.

Pros: good value, quiet, big portions
Cons: staff a little grumpy
Paco Pastor
Paco Pastor
  • non-vegetarian

MUST TO GO!!!

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2012

Wonderful place!

RebeckaDrevelius
RebeckaDrevelius

Cheap yummy food at a good location!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

Very nice and helpful staff.
Feelt a lot better than the other Govinda branch in the center of Budapest.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, yummy
sglcklch
sglcklch

Just OK

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2010

Came here for dinner in an early evening. Nice setting in a cellar, there's a little shop too selling Hare Krishna stuff. Food tasted pretty good, just bit stale, maybe it was too early and they had not made a new batch yet; but it was so cheap, so no complaint! Well worth the price overall.

Pros: very cheap
Cons: not fresh
wildfang
wildfang

Decent food, few vegan options.

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2010

We had lunch at Govinda's. I asked what was vegan and was given vegetable rice and a curry which turned out to be very nice, quite spicy. Apparently, that was all they had for vegans so quite disappointing since there were so many other things I would have liked to try - why is it that other Govindas have so many more vegan options? Anyway, the food tasted nice though the portion was quite small.
The staff spoke English which was helpful and I particularly liked the small shop which even had vegan chocolate spread among other things I couldn't find anywhere else in Budapest.

Jirko
Jirko

Spicy food, try the plate menu

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2009

Hare Krishna food. The food was pretty spicy even sometimes a bit too spicy for my taste buds. The menu plates give you nice big portions for a very decent price. It is located in a cellar but it can be very hot inside.

juniorcm
juniorcm

Bad mood

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

If you want to find bad mood in Budapest, here's the place! I just asked the attendant "what dishes didn't carry pepper" and she didn't know. Then, she began to treat me like if i was asking here to borrow me 10.000 euros. I ended eating a small portion of rice and a poori, which was tasteless. Later, i asked her a knife (they just gave me a fork!), and the bad mood showed up again. Also, i went there on a sunny 36C day, and the place was hot as a branch of hell.

Pros: no pros, really
Cons: bad mood, hot pepper in everything
Jaymie
Jaymie

Loved this place

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2009

This restaurant is fantastic and the food is great. You can choose between a thali (small or big) where the food is chosen for you or you can choose individual item. Price is very reasonable too and the staff are friendly, only one person spoke English though.

Pros: Good big portions, Friendly staff, Tasty food
Cons: Hard to find, Have to walk down steps to get in
marnia
marnia

We had high hopes,

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

We had the "big plate", which I enjoyed, my partner didnt like it much though. It seemed a mix of Hungarian and Indian, In hindsight I would rather have stuck to the Indian . I would have liked to try other dishes, I certainly felt the Indian ones looked better than ours. The staff were friendly.

brockola
brockola

not for vegans

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

We arrived late in the evening to be told quite sharply they were just closing. We said we would be back as we had only just arrived in Budapest and asked what vegan food they served as my partner is vegan. We were told in a very unfriendly manner 'no vegan - we use ghee'. This is the worst branch of Govindas we have ever encountered in our many holidays in Europe and it is definitely not recommended - particularly for vegans.

Stevie
Stevie

Govinda, Budapest

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

I have eaten in many branches of Govinda but I must say that as a vegan vegetarian I found this place a massive disappointment. I asked what they could do for me as a vegan vegetarian and I was given the choice of rice and salad. Everything else is cooked in butter ghee.

My friend had more than I did and said that he found the food pleasantly palatable. The girl who served me spoke English (my Hungarian is abysmal so this was a help).

Veggie Express is just around the corner and is infintely better if you are a vegan veggie like me.

Pros: Central
Cons: Very limited vegan veggie choice, Closed Sundays
Guest

Nice restaurant near chain bridge

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2008

I visited this restaurant in January 2008, and enjoyed the food. The restaurant does not use egg, onion, or garlic in any of its foods. For this reason, the food may taste bland in comparison to foods served at other Indian restaurants. However, if this fits your diet, then you will enjoy the food. The beet root salad is very good. They also have desserts, but I did not try them. In the back of the restuarant are a yoga studio and a small shop, which sells some clothing, incense, natural soaps, and spiritual books (in Hungarian).

Pros: Hare Krishna, good value, friendly staff
Cons: busy during lunch
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Vegans may struggle!

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

Govinda's is in a really nice part of the city, easy to find (don't bump your head as you descend the stairs!!) and has a great atmosphere. It's also pretty cheap and has good food. The only drawback we found was it seemed to have cheese in all the main meals offered (pizza, cheese and vegetable pasta etc). Shame as everything else was so good but we didn't starve!!

Pros: Ambience, relatively cheap
Cons: Lack of vegan options
Guest

Great clean vegetarian haven in city of Pest

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2007

Clean, tasty, affordable food in the heart of the city of Pest. It is all vegetarian deli style - no meat or eggs. Dairy is used in some products. Mix of Indian and Hungarian style food. Clean and happy service.

Pros: Clean, Friedly
Cons: Downstairs in cellar, No windows
carnilius
carnilius

Best Food In Budapest

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2007

By far the best food, price, location, character, and atmosphere of any place I've gone so far. I want to go back again for dinner, even though I just went for lunch!

Pros: Great Food, Convenient Location, Home made drinks

Dear Owner and Manager of Govinda I: