Govinda

One of the first vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona, established in 1986. Offers a weekday lunch menu of 3-courses plus dessert; dinner meals; a la carte; tea and coffee. Not a strict Hare Krishna restaurant; the kitchen uses onion, garlic, mushroom. Affiliated with Amaltea. Nearest metro: Plaza Catalunya (L1, L3), Liceu (L3). Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Salad bar
Placa de la Vila de Madrid, 4 (Junto Ramblas, Ciutat Vella)
Barcelona, Spain 08002

Open Mon, Sun 1-4pm, Tue-Sat 1-4pm, 8:30-11pm.

First Review by Stevie
laiachan
laiachan

I love their lunch menu

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Their lunch menu is really good, very filling. I specially love their flan de coco.
The dinners are good too, but my stomach does not deal Indian spices well

Pros: good food, filling, price
MarcoDiConsiglio
MarcoDiConsiglio

nice place

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

good indian spicy food, I have been there several times, is not expensive at midday there is a menu or you can choose from the main courses as well.
Very good.

Harp
Harp

Nice indian restaurant

3 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2013

... and nice indian food. Not many vegan options, dairy is predominant. The staff is friendly and the vibe is good.

Also, for being a Indian restaurant is not cheap.

Pros: Taste, Vibe
Cons: Price, Vegan options
bella tomato
bella tomato

bland and pricey

2 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

My boyfriend and I ate lunch here seeing as it was close to where we were staying.
I am a bit of a fiend for Indian food and always try to get some in every city :)
Vegan menu items are not marked and so I tried to pick out a few dishes which seemed as if they might be vegan, but unfortunately most of them seemed to be either creamy or cheesy. When the waiter came to take our order I asked if the dishes I had selected were vegan. He checked with me what I meant by vegan (which seemed strange but maybe it was a language barrier thing) and told me that yes they were.
We had vegetable pakoras as a starter which were served to us with yoghurt sauce, which was luckily on the side.
For mains we chose a spinach, aubergine and mushroom dish, and a cauliflower and potato dish, with rice and pappadums.
Both curries were served in big portions but were quite bland, nothing special.
Our waiter was friendly and the space was pleasant.
The bill was pretty high - at over 40 euros for one starter, two mains, some rice and pappadums and water it is probably the most expensive Indian meal I've ever had in Europe.
To be honest, if I wanted Indian in Barcelona again I would probably choose a omni restaurant over this one.

jchandersson
jchandersson

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2013

I've eaten here a several of times when in Barcelona and can recommend it if liking Indian food and looking for a place near La Rambla. All friendly staff who can suggest vegan and other options in decent english. Cozy place, not very big so you may have to wait or share a big table with strangers if you come alone, provided you don't mind. A couple of vegan options, the rest vegetarian. Well prepared and decently sized portions that will make most people happy. Not the cheapest place in Barcelona (I had Chana Masala with Rice and mineral water to drink today and believe it cost me around 12-14 euros) but well worth it. With all due respect for Krishnas some of them are awefully traditional even when it goes against better judgement. As others have stated this is not a strict Krishna restaurant. Will come again.

Pros: location, taste, staff
Ulderica1978
Ulderica1978

Very good place 2 eat!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

We had a nice experience at Govinda! Food is various ( my boyfriend isn't vegetarian, but enjoyed our lunch)and very good. The restaurant is clean and cosy.Prices at lunch are cheap for the "menú".The staff is nice.I'm sure we'll come back next time we go to Barcelona!

JoellaPrice
JoellaPrice

lovely food, good price and good service

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

i went to govinda in the afternoon so had the "menu mediodia" which is a good price for what you get (10 euros 50) its a 4 course set meal with a few choices. I had a salad buffet, lovely tasty lentil soup, a pancake with spinach in the middle and cheese sauce on top then a coconut flan for dessert, tea and coffee was also included. well worth the money, nice location, nice decoration and friendly staff :)

Pros: mediodia menu, tasty food, location
Winkler85
Winkler85

Exploded cheese

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

The starter was quite nice, but the main course was a paprika with seemded to have a whole cheese exploded on top of that, while I tried to choice something with little cheese. The taste was also very bad.

Pros: Good starters, Central located
Cons: Main course bad, exploded cheese, the Hara Krishna monotome music
processurself
processurself

slightly expensive, typical indian

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

Govinda looks like a typical indian restaurant, with the kitschy paintings on the wall and the red and yellow colors. They don't serve alcohol. There is a large choice in food. We found the food a bit pricy for the type of restaurant. The staff was impatient and not very friendly, although later they were nicer. The curry's were of very good quality and the salad bar is better than average.

Pros: lots of choice, good salad bar
Cons: relatively expensive, staff a bit unfriendly, no alcohol
mymudra
mymudra

One of my favs!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

Although I am macrobiotic and in exception I eat vegan, Govinda and Amaltea are two of my musts in barcelona. If I have to eat somewhere in the towncenter of Barcelona it's my place, If I have to meet my friends for a dinner, it is my place. Nice and tasty food! Kind people!
I had the chance to enjoy a cooking class at Amaltea and all was great in that kitchen, the way they prepare everything, the meal, the energy. I recomend this two places to everyone.

Raimond
Raimond

Nice Indian food

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2010

This is a very good Indian restaurant in the center. Very close to the Ramblas. The food is excellent!!!!!! The cook is a Prabhupada devotee and is an excellent cook!!!! If you're visiting Barcelona, you have to eat here!!!! Same owner as Almatea.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Cons: none
  • mahajana mahajana

Thank you Raimon for your nice coment. I am the owner of Govinda. I souldh said to avoid misunderstandings, false expectations and consecuente frustration that food is not 100% Hare Krishna standart. If you are looking for Hare Krisna standar food 100% prasadam you souldh go monday to frayday from 1.30 to 3.30 to Hare Krishna temple in Plaza Real Number 12 Entresuelo (Aside to Ramblas) phone 933025194. They serve a very nice lunch for about 7 Euros.

Joloco
Joloco

Not bad, not great

3 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2010

Here's some notes we made while in the restaurant...

- Reasonable paneer pakora
- Okay but mild (not spicy) main course
- Nice rice
- Hard and expensive chapatties (no puri in stock!)
- Nice chai, small grape juice
- Good range of dishes
- Decent restaurant, nice staff
- Not particularly cheap

Pros: Range of food, Staff
Cons: Curries very mild
uddhava
uddhava

Not a Govinda

3 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

For those Hare Krishna people looking to eat at this "Govinda", this is not the usual Hare Krishna Restaurant that servers prasadam. Although the owner is an initiated devotee, his restaurant does not follow the principles very strictly (anymore?).

When we came in i tried greeting the staff with a "haribol" but got no response. I tried to see if they were wearing kunti mala's but they were not. So the staff are not devotees. But since we were very hungry we decided to try it anyway. We tried to order something without onions, garlic and mushrooms, but the owner did not know the ingredients of the dishes on the menu. So we tried the veggie lasagna and picked out the mushrooms and onions ourselves.So if you want prasadam, then visit the ISKCON temple which is nearby.

The menu is quite variegated so you have lots of choice but the price can be high. We spend 50 euros with 2 people, incl drinks but no desert.!!

Pros: located in center, nice menu
Cons: Serves Onions, garlic and mushrooms, spanish Staff
srishti1775
srishti1775

Delicious food

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2008

Hubby and I went to Govinda while we were touring spain and we loved the food and the atmosphere. We were thrilled to find such a nice restaurant. Service was prompt and food tastes like home made Indian food, it was yum yum. Massala chai was just awesome and chapatis were super soft.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, Friendly Staff
Stevie
Stevie

Govinda, Barcelona

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

I had no issues with this place when I went but when I went with an Indian friend he hated the place. This isn't a surprise really as he likes all of his food to have chilli added of chernobyl dimensions. Located centrally not far from La Rambla.

Pros: Central location, Not over spiced
Cons: Not for chilli junkies

Dear Owner and Manager of Govinda: