Govinda

Restaurant not affiliated with Hare Krishna. Offers pasta, pizza, and western dishes. May be difficult to find. Directions: Take Skytrain to Phrompong station at the Emporium and Sukhumvit 24, walk 200 meters to Soi 22, and enter a courtyard on the right 30 meters in. Subway: Exit at Sukhumvit station, take exit 2, bear left to Sukhumvit Road, go left and walk to the pedestrial bridge about 100 meters, cross to other side of Sukhumvit and proceed to Soi 22 per above. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Italian, Pizza, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by veg_in_bkk
walkingvegan
walkingvegan

Nice place with a boring vegan pizza

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

It's a nice place, good atmosphere. I've been there only once, in a sunday night and, despite several free tables downstairs, staff seemed too busy. It was annoying when they finally came to our table in a hurried way and tried to run away after answer one question. And I had more then one question because I'd like to know about the vegan options.

Anyway... we finally order a funghi salad and a pizza. The salad was great, delicious! Not a big portion for 235 baht, but ok... good ingredients.

But the pizza was too simple, so boring, lack of topping... too expensive for that quality in my opinion. (290 baht).

The pizzas I tried: Govinda and Vienesse. For 2 people, with one drink, we spent 770 baht.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, extensive and varied menu, atmosphere
Cons: Expensive, Boring vegan pizza, Staff didn't seem to bother with us
ElenaKorovina
ElenaKorovina

Great place for dinner

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

Had a dinner in this place. Nice italian food. Pizza and lasagna were very tasty. Juices are very good and Panna Cota is wonderful. Good staff. Everything liked. Thank you!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good portions
earthville
earthville

A fine dining splurge

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

Govinda is a classy, Italian-run bistro in the heart of the Sukhumvit. Having shared a dozen or so meals with friends here, we've managed to sample a good portion of the extensive menu, and everything we've tried ranges from good to great - not a bad bite in the batch.

Especially recommended:
- Funghi soup: one of the tastiest mushroom soups i've ever had.
- Verdure alla Griglia: a generous plate of exquisitely grilled fresh veggies.
- Quattro stagioni pizza (ordered cheeseless)
- Gnocchi spinaci
- Gamberi fritti (fried breaded 'shrimp')
- Funghi salad
- Lime sorbet

They say the bread they serve for the table is vegan (but we weren't sure about the breadsticks). Their pasta (at least their own homemade pasta) is eggless. They also offer both gluten-free and whole wheat pasta.

Govinda is very vegan-friendly. It's pricey for Bangkok but well worth the splurge for a fine meal and good service with pleasant ambience.

They offer fresh juices, including carrot, which is a plus.

Our only complaint is admittedly a petty one: They don't serve free filtered tap water as most restaurants do; it's bottled water or no water.

Enjoy!

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 19, 2011

Pros: Excellent authentic Italian cuisine, Extensive and varied menu, Very vegan friendly
Cons: Expensive
Pawness
Pawness

Good food, crazy expensive

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

We have ordered delivery from Govinda a few times. Good food, no question, but the portions are small and the price is just too jigh for what you get. Really, the gnocchi portion was just laughable. It's just potato dumplings - at least cover the bottom of the container. So - if you don't mind paying too much, go for it.

We gave up on over priced Govinda and now go to the funky L'Opera on Soi 39 - amazing high-quality vegetarian dishes, is very careful about steering veg dinners in the right direction on their long menu, and has a lunch set menu that includes an antipasto buffet that is Amazing for 350baht.

Pros: Good food, Good menu
Cons: Small portions, Overpriced
SteffySteff
SteffySteff

FANTASTICO! USES CHEESE WHITOUT ANIMAL RENNET

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

Finally a vegetarian Italian getaway in Bangkok. When I asked for the chefs recommendation, the chef herself came by and gave us her advice; a charming Italian lady. I went for the spaghetti Bolognese. A classic! I didn't get disappointed. The pasta was delicious and the sauce tasted fresh and really Italian! The glass of wine made my meal complete. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There is nothing bad I can say about this place, unless that I had to loosen my belt when I got up. Grazie mille!

Pros: Garlic Bread on the table, Staff, Fair Price

danielReich
danielReich

Excellent Food

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2012

The food was terrific and a nice change from all the Thai food we'd been eating during our trip. The prices were quite a bit higher than other places, but the restaurant was also quite a bit nicer.

FunFuji
FunFuji

extensive menu and tasty

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

Good sized restau, lots of choices to try. I had the whole wheat 4 cheese pizza, ravioli, and gnocchi. All were fantastic and reasonably priced. I will definitely come a few times a month. YUMMY!

ccuenk
ccuenk

Authentic Italian Food

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

This restaurant managed to impress me again since my last visit to Bangkok. Excellent dishes, good environment. Highly recommend: the Mediterranean Pizza and the Carbonara. Can't believe its all vegetarian!

Pros: Awesome food, ideal portions
Peridot_Garnet
Peridot_Garnet

Nice veg italian restaurant!

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

Located in downtown area.
Nice food and tons of dishes to serve as your choice!
Varieties of mock meat. I really wonder when I first visit with the dish, Cappaccio.
Better to go by public transport due to the small area of parking.
I love it!

Pros: nice food, nice place, so italian!
Cons: parking
JezzingtonBear
JezzingtonBear

Good vegetarian Italian?? I can hardly believe it!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2011

Lovely little restaurant with a comfy, friendly atmosphere and pleasant jazz playing in the background. Opens at 6pm for dinner.

They have a great selection of pizzas, pastas and even 'meat' courses.

I ordered the salad padano and a spaghetti bolognese. The salad was nice enough but was a little heavily dressed and therefore oily. It had bits of faux bacon in it which added a nice extra flavour but were a bit too tough. The spaghetti was cooked to perfection. The bolognese sauce was made from what seemed to be soya mince and was delicious. The portion was a lot smaller than expected. I didn't have a huge appetite at the time so that was fine but, if I'd been hungry, I would have been left unfilled. Washed the whole lot down with an imported Erdinger Weissbrau. It WAS a little expensive by Thai standards but still pretty reasonable compared with Western prices.

I'll go back.

Pros: Very pleasant atmosphere., Good menu., Tasty, comforting food.
Cons: A little pricey (for Thailand)., Smallish portion.
enRoute
enRoute

great creative food, some quirks

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

Ahhh, Govinda. I debated for a while how many stars I was going to shell out here because this place is a mixed bag of sorts.

Problems started when I believed this place might be open till midnight (as optimistically stated here on HC)... so I made the trip out there around 10:15 one night. The sign on the door said 11:15, but they were closed. "Kitchen closes at 10:30" said the waiter outside... although that was 15 minutes away.

Came back a few days later and managed to get there on time, and the food WAS super. Had a great fagioli, nice pasta with soy bacon... when I mentioned I didn't want cheese, they offered soy cheese that really hit the spot. On another trip I had the "soymeat platter," which were shishkebabs mixed with all kinds of great and creative bits. The gnocchi was only so so for me, but nice to know they try it.

There are some other quirky things about the place... the staff are majorly into the "stare" thing, which I can get a bit creepy and a sort of annoying. Literally the second you scrape the last bit off a plate they will almost run over to replace it. I guess it's because I was one of the only people there each time I went, (which is also the probably reason why the place had been closing early... and this was all during the Red Shirt Period).

That said, they were nice as can be and it's really a special restaurant for Bangkok so I've got to give the place 5 stars. Seek it out and decide for yourself!

Pros: great Italian/Thai fusion, creative mockmeats, cool place
Cons: closes early sometimes, the staff stares too much... awkward, a touch price-ay
beerzuki
beerzuki

Not difficult to find, well worth finding!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2010

If you come from Sukhumvit down Soi 22, after about 30 metres you will see a large blue 'optical' sign and Larry's grill. Between these two is the laneway which the restaurant is down. I had just the Cesare salad (pictured) and was very happy with it and its accompaniments. Outdoor seating and friendly staff are a bonus. People from all different cultures were eating there which was nice. Also you can get beer/wine. I think the prices were totally reasonable and look forward to going back soon!

Pros: cosy atmosphere, friendly, nice presentation
killianH
killianH

great food NOT too expensive

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2010

i think as vegans/vegetarians we expect every main meal in bangkok to be 50 baht or under, and judging from other reviews i thought this restaurant was going to be really expensive. its not. its good italian food, great desserts and authentic coffee, at a price should should expect buying farang food. a pizza will set you back from 180-300 which is actually cheaper than all the other pizza restaurants in town. its owners are italian and very friendly.

happycowfan
happycowfan

Delicious Italian food!

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

This is my favourite restaurant in Bangkok and I go there everytime I'm in town. The food has always been excellent and the staff pleasant and helpful.
It does tend to be a bit pricey for Bangkok but it's a central location 10 min walk from the Emporium

Pros: Delicious food, Good staff
Cons: Maybe a bit pricey for BKK
Kunzang
Kunzang

expensive

2 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2009

This restaurant has a good decoration, the music they play is interesting, the food is ok (but not much in the plate on some recipe and a LOT of oil with the 8!?!!? pasta i got)...the salads are good but almost 500 baht for a salad???
So a lone person cant eat for less than 1000 baht???

This restaurant is far too expensive and i wont be back...

• govinda govinda

We would like to thank you very much for coming in Govinda.
    We really apologize if you found to much oil in your pasta and we will do our best to avoid it happens again. Please note that we have two kind of salad whose price is from 500 to 600 baht, but it regards a salad Large size and it is suitable for groups of people (minimum 6 people) and it is for share of course. If you look the menu you can find normal salad with price from 130 B to 275 - 300 Baht: of course the price depends from the ingredients, because we use a lot of imported products as cheese, olives, spinach etc.
    The average price for person that we calculated in the last 5 years of our business is about 350 Baht. Thanks

giorgio
giorgio

a note of appreciation

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

I've been several times in Bangkok and during my staying there almost every day used to go to govinda for lunch...I appreciated all preparation very much and was surprised to get recipes that u don't even get in italy my home country...owners really have genius...they offer different recipes which even attract non-veg people...excellent are scaloppine alla pizzaiola, pollo alla valdostana all strictly vegetarian and delicious...no duodts any time in bangkok I'll be at Govinda restaurant!!!

Francois
Francois

Bella Italia

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2009

I can say that I travelled all over the World, and this Restaurant is one of the best I ever visited. To have Italian and Vegetarian Food combined is wonderful. Thank you Stefano and your Team for going on and give us Vegetarian a very valuable alternative for going out. You gone see me again.

Pros: good alternative, excellent Food, friendly staff
smusevilla
smusevilla

Best veggie Italian food ever

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2008

I lived in Bangkok for a couple of years and every veggie knows how miserable that is as Thais cook with lots of fish sauce and there is hardly any veggie food there... Then I discovered Govinda, which combined the two best things of cuisine: Italian food and vegetarian food! It's the real thing, I am half italian and eating at Govinda I felt like being back in my childhood, spending summers and holidays in Southern Italy. It's fantastic! They also have good wines for an affordable price.

And last but not least: they deliver (not themselves, but they are affiliated with food by phone (http://foodbyphone.com/), I basically ordered at least once a week.

Pros: food , price
veg_in_bkk
veg_in_bkk

We love it!

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2007

My husband and I have eaten there a lot for the last 4 years...Anyhow, I noticed that some people have not been able to find it so I wanted to give a description of how to get there: Govinda's is not far down soi 22 at all. As you come from Sukhumvit onto soi 22, you will see a "Top Charoen Optical" sign in blue up on the right side. Shortly after that there is a flower stall, on the right, and there is an entrance to a small plaza. Right after the entrance to the plaza is the restaurant "Larry's Dive" - so don't pass "Larry's". Turn right into the plaza and go to the back left of it, and Govinda's is there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Govinda: