Modest, informal cafe style restaurant that's like a homestyle kitchen which is run by a team of Gujarathi homemakers. Serves lunch and dinner buffet with a variety of spicy and mild options. Dishes include stir-fried ivy-gourds (tindora) and bajri rotis (made from a gluten-free millet-like flour). Also makes fegular rotis. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Indian, Take-out
840 Markham Rd (Painted Post Dr)
Toronto, Ontario

Lindzriot
Lindzriot

Great Food!

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

Great authentic food and friendly service. Highly recommended for those who like Indian food. Self serve buffet.

Zo
Zo

Very Good

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2014

I have tried many Indian restaurants, and this one has some really good stuff to offer, it has kinda a small seating space, lots of vegan options. The lady that worked there was aware what vegan is and explained which of the options were clearly.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 20, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday February 24, 2014

Updated from previous review on Monday February 24, 2014

Pros: Options, Price, Service
Cons: Far away
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Gujarati is the best

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

I love Gujarati Indian food. Never mind South or North Indian food. This is a great Gujarati deli. Many items from which to choose. The owner was extremely friendly and helpful. I felt like a frequent honored customer. You pick up a Thali tray with 7 or 8 little bowls and fill them with your choices from the deli. All my vegan choices were great. The boss came over twice with bread fresh from the oven for me. One was filled with something a little sweet and delicious and the other was made from millet flour. It was a little dry but good. I dunked it in the soup.

David Milmine
David Milmine

INCREDIBLE

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

I visited Govardhan Thal , as I am going to be working in the Scarborough community for the next month or so. Needed a good place to eat -- and one that was going to provide me with great Vegan options. I found it at Govardhan Thal. Nothing spectacular as far as teh appearance of the location -- but comfortable -- and the food was amazing. Fresh , very flavourful. When I first arrived I was checking out the selections and wasn't completely sure what was or wasn't vegan. Fortunatly , an indian lady who was there purchasing take out realized that the counter staff couldn't communicate with me , and jumped in to ask this "white" guy if she could answer any questions. She spoke with the lady behind the counter and got the handle on what I was looking for and communicated it for me. It was only a couple of moments later that the gentleman who owned the restaurant showed up. He immediately took up my cause -- he was so friendly and helpful. He was making fresh flat breads -- several different Roti's -- one was made with chickpeas but had black beans inbedded as well ... incredibly good -- the dals / lentils and veggie dishes that were on the buffet -- were as mentioned fresh and very well seasoned. Nothing was too "hot" or "spicy" that I couldn't enjoy it. (sometimes some places , especially native indian cooks really go heavy on the curry ... not the case here) ... Water on the table and all you can eat for under $10. Best indian food -- REAL indian food that I have had in a long long time. Ya have to know its good when Indian people were dining here. I was the only "white" man in the restaurant -- but I was spoiled by the manager/owner. Will I go back again ... I'll be back in Scarborough next week and will definetly be returning for another go at the buffet !!!

Pros: Friendly staff, Food was HOT and FRESH, great value
Cons: not the prettiest inside the cafe, indian music videos were a bit loud
Tulipa
Tulipa

Very Good

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

We found this restaurant rather unexpectedly and it was great! We've been there a number of times. Good food, helpful staff, and very reasonable prices. Even the customers were friendly. I have already recommended Govardhan to friends.

The seating is somewhat limited, but we never had to wait.

Pros: Good food, Great price
Cons: limited seating
krumbs
krumbs

Awesome

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

One of my favourite places to eat. It's a bit of a drive from where I live so I don't go as often as I would like. They will tell you which dishes are vegan but beware, not everyone who works there speaks english.

The flavours are not like other indian restaurants. The food has a very unique flavour. And it's all you can eat. Highly recommend.

Pros: food , price, service
Cons: location, english, tight seating when busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Govardhan Thal: