Opened Jun 2013, this vedic cafe underwent renovations and unveiled a different menu in Jan 2014. Offers thali meals, Indian dosa, pakoras, wraps with channa-dal falafel or tofu, soups, salads with millet and falafel or fried tofu, smoothies, espresso drinks with soy or almond milk, vedic sweets and cakes; no more stir fries. Food is prepared without any animal products, vinegar, garlic, onion, or mushroom. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Indian, Western, Fusion,Take-out
Krossener Str. 16, Berlin-Friedrichshain (Simon Dach Str.)
Berlin, Germany 10245
+49-3098364440

Open Tue-Thur 12-10pm, Fri-Sun 12-11pm.

• Cash only

First Review by wildfang
coi
coi

Great place

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

We came here for dinner and didn´t regret for one second! The atmosphere in this small and cosy place is as great as in the whole district of Friedrichshain! Come here on a Saturday Night and you will know what I´m talking about :)

The prices are really good for what you get! The plates are big and staff is very relaxed and friendly.

Thank you very much! We´ll come back for sure :)

Pros: Atmosphere, food, prices
Cons: very small place
balupton
balupton

Great place for dinner

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

I came here with 3 friends, we all loved our meals, our drinks, and were satisfied with the quality, the taste, and the price.

I had the Raw Chocolate Smoothie, which lived up to it's name, unlike other places I have tried.

I also had the Classic Dosa, and the Cheese Dosa. I preferred the Classic Dosa, as it came with some really nice sides to give it's classic nature more tang. The Cheese Dosa was nice, worth trying, but not repeating I believe — but that's just me.

A friend ordered the wrap, and loved it. And the other two got the plates, and they were huge and looked amazing.

Their cakes also seemed really nice, and looked "raw" too. However, we were too stuffed to have them.

Will definitely be returning.

Pros: Great tasty food, Reasonably priced
Gysling
Gysling

Amazing place for indian snacks and thali

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

We visited Goura Pakora during a trip to Berlin in december and returned again last week.

The place is small and cosy and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful in answering questions regarding the food. There are both tables inside and outside and the menu is quite large offering thalis (both for singles and very large plates for sharing), crispy tofu and vegetable pakoras, lentil soup, dosas with different types of fillings and lovely dips.

The food is fresh and supertasty.

I had the pakoras (a very large bowl for only 3,50 euro) which were crispy and tasteful and served with a choice of dips. I can highly recommend the coconut chutney. My mom loved the lentil soup and my husband was very satisfied with his thali (only 7 euro for a very big plate).

The prices are very reasonable and the location just around the corner from Boxhagener Platz is perfect.

Updated from previous review on Thursday April 03, 2014

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Friendly staff and great atmosphere, Value for money

finelikesicecream
finelikesicecream

my favorite indian/nepali place in Berlin

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

I can just also say: take the mixed plate for 2. We had it and we both felt like this was the most delicious food we have had for a while. :)Also the dosas (special type of pancake) are excellent, as well as the smoothies they have.

It is a quite small place and you have to order the food yourself and put your dishes back, but that is totally fine, just dont expect a fancy restaurant. I feel it always takes quite a while until the food arrives, nevertheless the food is so fresh and full of taste, so this doesn't bother me so much.

Pros: super delicious, price is really okay
Cons: takes sometimes too long time
J-Veg
J-Veg

Try the mixed plate for 2!

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I've been here a couple of times and on both occasions I had the mixed plate for 2, which comes with pakora, falafel, salad, rise, millet and various sauces. It's quite nice and is nice if you fancy out but aren't in the mood for the formalities of a restaurant as it's self-service and relatively quick.

Although it's not explicitly mentioned, everything on the menu is vegan so drop in and try it out!

Pros: Laid-back, quick and easy, Delicious pakora and tamarind sauce
marcbr
marcbr

Mind-blowing food

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

I've been here a couple times and both of them I've been very surprised by the food quality. Everything is 100% vegan and very fresh. New flavors for a totally affordable price (around 8/10€).
However, don't expect something too fancy, it's a small restaurant with terrace (when the weather is good) and the menu is not very extensive.
Totally advisable.

Pros: Food, Location, Price
Cons: Portions could be bigger
losthighway
losthighway

I want to like this place...

2 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

I want to like this place, unfortunately it's a long way off the mark.

I've been here about 3 times.
The first time was to get some food to go. They messed up our order, even giving our food to someone else. It took an extremely long time to get the food and the staff weren't even particularly apologetic.

The second time the food also took an absurdly long time to arrive at our table, with two tables who ordered after us receiving their food first. Again, when it arrived the orders were wrong. This was on a quiet afternoon.

Finally I tried one of their wok bowls, this time it didn't take too long and was fine. But at nearly 7€ it was way overpriced for what was essentially a pretty small serving of simple vegetables with rice.

The food is good though. The dosas in particular are excellent. However it's always a long, unpleasant, and expensive experience to get it.

Pros: Good food
Cons: Very overpriced, Problematic, Unfriendly staff
  • losthighway losthighway

Hey J-Veg,

I took your word and have given them a few extra tries recently.
    The staff seem much more professional now and I haven't had any mix ups with the orders or any long wait times.
    They're still pretty unfriendly, the last time I was there I ordered a fruit smoothie to go and the woman seemed very bothered by the fact I didn't want to order any food.

I tried the Thali, unfortunately I found it to be pretty sub-par indian food... but the cost was decent, it is certainly a lot for two people.

The dosas are still the star in my books.

They seem to have now taken those over-priced wok bowls off the menu, which is good? i guess..

• J-Veg J-Veg

I am really surprised that you found it expensive and that you had a bad experience with the service.

I've been here twice and can only say positive things about the staff. Granted, they might not be role models for customer service, but this is Berlin we are talking about!

I also think the food is good value, especially when you consider that (at the time of writing) the very filling "Thali" platter for 2 people costs only €13.90.

The waiting times might be longer than the usual falafel joint, but when you watch the effort that goes into the food, I think the waiting times aren't usually a problem. Perhaps you were just unlucky. I'm not sure when they opened but since your review is August 2013 and, to my knowledge, they only opened in summer 2013, I would be inclined to give them another go!

wildfang
wildfang

Tasty food, but slight improvements needed

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

We went to Goura Pakore for the first time last week and were surprised about the really welcoming atmosphere the interior created.
We ordered a rice and veggie wok dish at 7,60€ (way too expensive for Berlin standards) and a Shalom Wrap at 4,60€ (also not cheap at all).
Our friend ordered a Gaia's Veggie Bowl at 6,90€ which came without rice even though the menu on the blackboard had indicated that all wok dishes would come with rice. When she asked about the rice, she was simply told there was no rice included in this dish. A good customer service would have included the chef serving her some rice anyway because they have obviously made a mistake with the way they put down the menu.
When we asked the chef whether they had any pakoras, we got a confused, slightly annoyed look. Is it too much to expect a place bearing the word "Pakora" in its name having these on the menu?
Also the drinks are quite expensive - BioZisch costs 2,30€ and smoothies 3,60€.
The food itself was very tasty, very well spiced, quite special in the Berlin veggie scene.

All in all, this place could be a really great spot for vegan Indian food in Friedrichshain. I hope they will improve their customer service and go down with their prices a bit, then I am sure to come back.

Pros: tasty, fresh food, good atmosphere
Cons: slightly unfriendly staff, high prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Goura Pakora: