Farmers market food booth offering raw vegan food, like kale cocktail, carrot cocktail, beet cocktail, kale salad, and a Goshen salad dressing. Seating is shared with other eateries. more-less
Vegan, All Raw, American, Organic, Take-out
1309 5th St NE (Union Market)
Washington, District Of Columbia 20001
202-704-2600

First Review by Saramste
desertdune
desertdune
  • raw

Great food, stellar service, good prices

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

I've been raw vegan since 2005 and have eaten at and reviewed raw cafes around the world...Goshen is near the top of the list for me.

They make a few entrees, which vary, each day depending on what is fresh and available -- perfectly reasonable. They are very generous offering samples and very friendly folks ;-) Makes you want to eat their food and be THAT happy!

I thought zucchini pasta with sauce would be boring - I make that at home. But the sauce was one of the best I've ever had! The pizza was also lovely. The desserts were so good, we got one of each and shared them -- and then I got some to bring home!

I found their pricing to be fair market and very reasonable for any raw food cafe. I loved that they were serving HEALTHY raw food -- not just food with tons of fat, as many raw restaurants do.

They are close enough to metro to walk, although as a single lady I'm not sure I'd walk that neighborhood alone. With my friend was perfectly fine.

Pros: great food, fair prices, awesome personalities
cookiem
cookiem

Simple food at high prices

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

The vegan raw trend is a good one, as it embraces many positive qualities of life. I appreciate Goshen from that respect. In Union Market, there are booths for fresh farm veggies, coffee, meat, fish, oysters and many non-veg items. Goshen had little competition in that sense, but from other raw vegan establishments, they need to catch up.

The staff is very friendly, but the prices are not wallet friendly. As someone who cooks frequently with organic ingredients to make raw dishes, even I balked at the prices. However, I support what they are doing. If you are little and have a small appetite, or if you are in a diet, you'll be fine with the portions. If you aren't penny pinching and don't worry about prices, you'll be fine. If you don't know how to prepare raw food and love it, you'll be fine.

The variety is slim. The choices are simplistic. If I am stuck here with people, I would chose Goshen to make a statement, but if I am being frugal or starving, no way! I would be better off buying fresh raw veggies and just eating then straight from the stand.

The offerings are just not justifiable of the prices. I liked them, but wasn't impressed. There is cayenne kick to cocoa city. There is a heavy dose of cloves in the pumpkin surprise. Avoid desserts if nut-allergic.

An entree- $13. A dessert in a large plastic dressing/ condiment container (you have seen them everywhere!)- $4.50. Juices- $8. At least they take credit cards. I support their vegan raw goals!!! If you can afford to do so, why not?

Pros: 100% vegan, Raw, Fresh
Cons: Pre-made entrees and items simple, Plastic containers, Price
Saramste
Saramste

Fantastic Raw Vegan Option!

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

My husband and I are vegan, but we decided to go raw vegan for approximately 30 days, in hopes of eventually beginning to transition. We tried out a few spots in the local area that either have raw options, or in the case of Goshen, are exclusively raw. Let me caveat this by saying, when we GPSed this spot, we were certain we were NOT going in the right location. As DC continues to evolve, this is definitely a diamond in the rough. It is a counter in a "market" with several other venders nearby. We thought this place was fantastic! They have excellent customer service, and they encourage you to sample all of their items. Very often when a location has items for sample, they almost make you feel guilty for asking . . . As soon as we walked up to the counter, the young lady working asked if we wanted to try their food. She wasn't even sure that we were going to purchase anything, and she allowed us to try all the items they had available for sample. They have a few items on the menu, including a few VERY savory desserts. Honestly, the desserts were likely the best part, and there was nothing about them that would clue you in to the fact you're eating a "raw" dessert. Additionally, they have a few fresh juices that they will allow you to sample as well. So far, the best raw vegan option in the DC Metro area.

Pros: Delicious, Raw Desserts!, Great Customer Service

Dear Owner and Manager of Goshen - Food Booth: