Inexpensive meals in a nice, casual atmosphere. Menu items sometimes include lasagna, spinach filos, samosas, salad and dessert bar, soups, and pasta. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Hare Krishna

First Review by tessha_m
Bluejaay
Bluejaay

Love it.

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

Excellent food for a great price. I love the room too - the window overlooking Swanston street is beautiful.

SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Excellent Option

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

Gopals is like the rich cousin of Crossways just a short walk away. That being said, it is still very reasonably priced and a delightful setting where you can stare out the window to beautiful Swanston Street. Plenty of choices in the bain marie. The koftas with a tasty tomato puree are somewhat of a signature dish. Yum.

BROD73
BROD73

So YUMMY

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I have been attending gopals for 30 years. The food is always devine and the service is great also. I can even remember in the 1980's when they had there own version of mcdonalds downstairs which was very exciting for me as i was born a vegetarian.

Pros: good variety, cheap, friendly service
Cons: can be busy
dumpling
dumpling

handy little place

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

Just get off the train at Flinders, walk along Swanston st a couple of blocks and you are there. The worst thing about this place is the stair case eeew but once in the restaurant its bright and spacious, happy smiles and good food. I didn't mind the expense. I had Lasagne and salad with Tahine Dressing for $9.90, a mango lassie for $2.50 and a spinach and cheese filo take away for $4.50 that I ate later near a fountain and Church up on Collins Street. Best Filo I have had and reasonal price. Shared some crumbs with the sparrows, they didn't like the filling much but I did. I'd definately go back by myself. Hare Hare, Hare Khrisna :-) Thank Khrisna for this food :-)

Pros: yum, handy place, no onion or garlic
Cons: stair case, Swanson st, not too cheap
choogirl
choogirl

Great place

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I come here all the time when I'm in Melbourne for work. Very tasty and a good variety of food. They will also give you a receipt so you can claim it on expenses!

Pros: Good variety, value

Veronica01
Veronica01

Ok food, pricey for lunch, thought it was a buffet

3 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

We decided to come here for lunch because I had misinterpreted the special, I thought it was a buffet that was $12 for lunch, which there are photos of it on the website.

It is not. You get soup/rice or half and half, and then one veggie or half and half and a drink for that price. If you want a papadum, and dessert you have to go for the chef's special at $14. Pretty darn expensive for lunch.

The portions are big though, if you get just rice it covers half of your plate, very huge. So get half and half so you get medium rice and small soup. The coconut vegetables were good, just really fatty so we felt really tired after, and the noodles and vegetables were super greasy and have TVP which tasted like meat, and was weird to us.

Probably would have enjoyed just ordering at an Indian sit down restaurant considering the price, but if you don't mind an expensive lunch that is ready to eat it's ok.

Pros: ready to eat, different menu items
Cons: pricey, pretty oily and fatty
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Cheap with choice

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

Not easy to choose from the slightly confusing counter layout and menus - but plenty of options. Many customers are obviously frequent visitors, which is always a good sign.
Many dishes tend to the slightly bland, but all seem nutritious and well-prepared.

Pros: value for money, choices
Cons: confusing layout, a bit bland sometimes
tessha_m
tessha_m

Like a vegetarian cafeteria

3 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

Gopals serves food that is basically like a vegetarian cafeteria. Its decent, though a tad expensive for some dishes (eg lasagne) while other options are more of a bargain. The have plenty of choice and meals from a wide range of styles. But its nothing fancy or special. Worth a try.

Pros: Location
Cons: nothing special

Dear Owner and Manager of Gopal's: