Charming restaurant in an Indian style. Also serves other dishes. Typically a choice of two meals - one Indian, one other (example: pasta) for approx R$18. You get a small starter and dessert, juice, and a substantial main course. Gets very busy with lines out of the door, somewhat calmer after 2pm. Most items contain dairy. Accepts debit cards but not credit cards. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Western, Indian, Italian, Hare Krishna
Rua Antonio Carlos, 413 (Rua Augusta, Consolation)
Sao Paulo, Brazil 01309-011
+55-11-3253-3844

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by mirian
Isis Galvao
Isis Galvao

Indian Veggie

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2014

I am an old and loyal customer from Gopala Madhava. Everything there is delicious: the food, the desserts, the juices, the chai. The dishes have an Indian accent, with a lot of condiments and a very strong taste. They always have two options per day so then you can choose between them. The dishes includes a mini salad, the main dish, a dessert and free natural juice. The price is excellent, but they don't accept credit cards. I recommend it for everyone!

Pros: Delicious food, Good price
Cons: There are always huge queues, They don't accept credit cards, The environment is a little bit damaged
LUIZSCOPEL
LUIZSCOPEL

not a place for vegans

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

There's ghee everywhere.

The friends who were with me (vegetarians) told the food was great.

Pros: nice place
Cons: no vegan option
kennyp353
kennyp353

Excellent lunchtime spot

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

Note that Gopala Madhava and Gopala Hari are just doors apart on the same street, and sell very similar food, but they are separate businesses. They used to be in partnership but broke up some years ago, so now you have a choice of two places. Having not realised this until very recently, and only having been to Gopala Madhava before, I'd say there's little to choose between them - they're both pretty good and always busy with lines down the stairs and out the door - but gets a bit quieter after 2pm. A restaurant with two set meal options - one Indian, one something else e.g. Italian - including starter, dessert and juice. High quality food and plenty of it.

Updated from previous review on Friday March 12, 2010

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere
Cons: lunchtimes only

SteveMann
SteveMann

not what I expected

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

I read several reviews suggesting this was good Indian food. Have lived in NJ (little India), visited India, cooked Indian food, I'd hardly call it Indian. It's true, it was pretty busy. I suspect because of the substantial amount of heavy food (rice, feijao (beans), etc) that give the feeling of fullness with a relatively small São Paulo price tag. The food was ok, the service was less than average. We waited quite some time to get in - no one said a word to us (btw, my portuguas is fine so this isn't the issue). Several tables who were seated after us were served first and we didn't get so much as a hello.
The server knew very little about the menu (all of 2 choices on the menu people). The food was relatively warm and taste was pretty good. I was with a friend and we selected one of each available dishes to sample. She was slightly happier than I (she's non-veg) but in the end, we both felt the same: it was OK.

Pros: inexpensive, portion size was adequate
Cons: 2 choices?, service less than average, standing on stairs waiting for a table
SaundersForman
SaundersForman

A good find

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2011

Nice food, nice atmosphere. So popular that when we finished lunch there was a line of people out the door waiting to be seated; consider going early. We each tried one of the two choices for that day's lunch menu and we liked both choices.

Pros: pretty decor, nice wait staff, decent food
JorgeBlue
JorgeBlue

Delicious

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2008

Not apropriate to vegans, but its one of the best lacto vegetarians restaurant in Sao Paulo.Its not expensive for lunch, its cost about US$ 10,00 and includes juice and dessert.

mirian
mirian

Hare Krishna cooking

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2007

Delicious Indian style food. The restaurant follows Hare Krishna cooking guidelines. Not many vegan options available.

Dear Owner and Manager of Gopala Madhava: