Serves veggie versions of Peruvian and western dishes, including pizza in the evenings. Has set menu, pasta, juices. Kitchen breaks between meals. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Peruvian, Western, Pizza, Indian, Fast food
Melgar 101B, Cercado (Jerusalén)
Arequipa, Peru

aisawesome
aisawesome

meh

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

After trying to go to every veg restaurant in Arequipa listed on here, to find them all to be closed on Sunday, we wound up going to Gopal. The guy working didn't speak a word of English.

All that was available was a plate with a bunch of things on it..rice, salad with cheese, some sort of pasta with milk and 2 soy dishes. I told him I'm allergic to soy and asked if I could order from the dinner menu which was starting in 30 mins after we got there. He said the dinner menu now starts at 6 and not 4, so no. I basically pleaded with him asking to make the exception and let me order from the dinner menu which had a lot more options, but he was not budging. (We were also the only customers there) So, I wound up getting a huge plate of rice and the dessert which was an orange jello type thing.

Both were fine and filled me up but obviously didn't want just a plate of rice as my meal..My friend got a hamburger which she enjoyed(they're all soy based so I couldn't have it)

I don't really recommend this place..but I guess vegans have no other options on a Sunday.

HeatherNicholds
HeatherNicholds

Good find on a Sunday

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2013

This was the only vegetarian spot that was open on Sunday. We happened to wander by it after trying all the other places listed on Happy Cow, and they told us they only had the Americano plate for 10 soles, meaning everything comes on one plate, but we were just happy they were open. I hadn't checked the listing before going, though, and when our plates came with some meaty-looking fried things and a pepper stuffed with something that looked like meat, I thought maybe the sign saying 'vegetarian' on the door meant that they had vegetarian options but weren't totally veg. I should have asked, but didn't... I'm assuming now that they were soy meats of some kind, and they looked very realistic. Also, one of the things on the plate was scalloped potatoes, even though I'd told our server we couldn't have cheese or milk or eggs. In the end, though, the flavored rice with raw veggies and a few slices of cooked beets was enough to fill us up, so it was probably good that we didn't think we could eat the other things ;) They also served a really tasty fermented drink - not sure what it was, but very nice.

Pros: Big portions, Open on Sundays
Cons: May not have vegan options
happytrappy
happytrappy

Double price for foreigners

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2013

the food is ok (lukewarm), but expect to pay double price just for being a tourist! Staff is impolite and very rude when asked for the reason of the extra-price!!! You can find much better places in Arequipa where you pay the fair-price!!!

Pros: big portions

perugeorges
perugeorges

Lukewarm food and review

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

Went on a Sunday midday. One could only order the 'plato Americano' S.7 which had tasty potatoes and rocoto relleno, rice and some fresh salad veggies and some soy meat fried. Food arrived almost immediately, but was lukewarm. Kids got chocolate milkshakes S/.5.5, but were kind of lukewarm and one didn't even finish his. My fruit milkshake S/.4.5 was quite good. Bathroom full of flies and toilet had to be flushed with a bucket of water. Had to ask for enough silverware for all 5 of us.

Pros: Very quick, Inexpensive (S/.35.50 for 5 people), tasty
Cons: Only one choice on menu
Scrablero
Scrablero

tasty and filling

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

We ate at Gopal on a Sunday, when the meal of the day was served "American-style," meaning, I assume, that everything arrived together on one plate, instead of the typical Peruvian soup-followed-by-entree. Half-a-dozen items shared the plate, ranging from good to excellent. The place was packed with locals, always a good sign. Service was prompt.

Would only note that opening hours are erratic and they were closed several times during their posted hours.

Pros: delicious food, fast service
Cons: erratic hours
Stevie
Stevie

Gopal, Arequipa

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

This is a small, cheap and cheerful place that when I was there was offering a set menu type set up. I think it was someting like 6 soles or 6.50. This comprised soup then a choice of 2 mains one of which was a broccoli dish and the other was a lentil dish. Both were absolutely fine.

No English was spoken so it was trying to bumble away in my pretty abysmal Spanish when ordering. The waitress didn't understand vegano but she had no issues with 'sin leche', 'sin huevo' etc and seemed to get what I was on about.

I tried to ask for info on hours of opening but this part of the convo didn't go brilliantly. 8 am opening was about as much as I could interpret. I need to hit that phrase book again today.

Pros: Seems to be vegan friendly, Inexpensive
Aliciaabq
Aliciaabq

Cheap, decent food

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

I ate here several times, and sometimes it was good, and sometimes it wasn't. The soups are great and the fruit salad is usually very good. You can also get very cheap sandwiches for there or to go, like a soy burger for $1 or less, or a triple sandwich with avocado, tomato and egg or whatever you want. Not the greatest food, but really cheap and if you're not too picky, could be a great option. Don't get the pancake or omelette unless you like very fried food! There are tons of veggie restaurants in Arequipa--just look around. On Jerusalem Street alone there are at least two others, but they are more expensive (and better food). There's another cheap one past the big church in the real local downtown section of town, but I forgot the name or where it is--right near Calle Nueva somewhere. They have decent food and interesting cakes, such as quinoa cake, etc.

rheb
rheb

Big portions but plain food

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

Gopal has cheap set menus-- 5 soles (under $2 U.S.) for lunch, 8 soles (Under $3 U.S.) for dinner. I got the set lunch, which included a stuffed pepper (rocoto relleno), a layered potato/cheese dish, soy meat strips, rice pilaf, and salad. The portions were generous, but the food was bland and seemed like leftovers from the previous day (which it probably was). Dessert was a watery pineapple pudding, which wasn't great. Good for cheap and filling meals, but the food itself isn't great.

Pros: cheap, big portions
Cons: bland food

Dear Owner and Manager of Gopal Natura Center: