Offers quick vegan bites including snacks, salads, a daily menu, juices, and bocadillos. Has vegan cheese, seitan, tofu, vegan empanadas, tortilla de patata, and vegan cakes. Eat inside or take place on the stairs of Plaéa Tripi to enjoy the spectacles of locals. Open until 11pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Spanish, Western, Juice bar, Fast food, Take-out

deivitgc
deivitgc

Les millors hamburgueses!

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2015

No és un restaurant normal. És una botiga amb unes cadires per seure i menjar (no hi ha lavabo). Tot i això tenen el millor menjar fast food vegà que he provat! Espectaculars (i grans) hamburgueses, algunes tapes (xoriço, truita), i postres de Lujuria Vegana!

Pros: Hamburgueses i altres entrepans!, Postres espectaculars!
Cons: No hi ha lavabo!, És petit
PetRock
PetRock

Gopal Vegan Eat-In and Takeaway

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2015

Hot meals, pastries, coffee, tea, cold drinks
Wide range of vegan burgers with salad or fries
Friendly staff and good prices

Pros: Wide range selection from friendly staff, Hot and cold meals, Savoury and Deserts/Cakes
Moe Bauno
Moe Bauno

Comfort food in the center

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2015

We went to Gopal in early June 2015 and had dinner there. The staff was really friendly and accomodating, pointing out the gluten free options on request. The menue is rather small but that prevents having to wait long. The food is prepared fresh in an open kitchen. They also sell cakes and cheeses for take out.
We had very delicious burgers with crispy fries. If you are looking for a quick bite, Gopal is the place to go.

Pros: Location, food, friendly staff, not expensive
Cons: small menue

StephenEamonn
StephenEamonn

Great for a meal or a snack!

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2015

We visited Gopal twice in our stay, the only veggie place we bothered returning to. It is that good!
Their prices are very good considering the central location. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was always nice music playing.
There was a nice variety in food, including vegan versions of meats and cheeses and some delicious desserts/cakes.
They offer meal deals which are good value but it's also perfect for a quick bite on the go.
It's an ideal place for any time of day as they had options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between.
I wanted to try the vegan hot dogs which were sadly not available on both visits.

Pros: Great location, Cheap prices, Large portions
Cons: No hot dogs
GiorgioLosi
GiorgioLosi

Go gopal!

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2015

Super nice place in the most beautiful square of Barcelona (dedicated to George Orwell!). The staff was really kind, there was a plenty of different burgers and ice creams, all delicious and cheep. Perfect to eat something fast and tasty while visiting the old town. Hopefully, the chose an ethical vegan style in the decorations (empty cages, free the animals slogan etc) rather than the usual bullshit about how healthy, bio and natural the vegan food is.

FlorFrutal
FlorFrutal

Buen lugar

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2015

Mi lugar favorito para comer comida rápida.
Las papas fritas y la veganesa son excelentes, las hamburguesas muy ricas. No es comida de autor ni muy diferente, pero para ir y comer fast food, es de los mejores en Barcelona.

El lugar es lindo, el display con la comida también, aunque muy pequeño.

Pros: Precios, Comida rica
Cons: Lugar chico, Incómodo comer ahí
Mariano Sanchez
Mariano Sanchez

Best Vegan fast food!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2015

nice burguer, nice fries, nice vegan mayonaisse. it's fast food and there is no much place to stay, but if you want some burguers and fries, Gopal is really good!

Pros: Price, Yummy food
enRoute
enRoute

Sweet little place!

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2015

Right on the infamous "Plaza del Tripi," this is a little oasis of cheap, delicious, fast vegan food. All kinds of cool sandwiches, vegan cheeses, deserts, and other treats. It's usually open late, and is a great place to go for a quick bite. Love it, together with a few other places in the area it really makes this the vegetarian heart of BCN.

Pros: quick, tasty, cheap
Cons: limited options, area not for everyone
linehafs
linehafs

Plenty of burgers to choose from

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

Had a burger and fries. Good/ok food. The fries with dip was delicious - not sure about the burger. Good at first, but then soggy.

Pros: Fries
Cons: Small room, few seats
Veget-Alien
Veget-Alien

Good burgers

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

Nice & tasty burgers (a bit expensive though) the menu also has good formulas with french fries or salads.

the have cake and ice-cream but I did not tried them, they looked good !

This little restaurant is perfectly located in the historical center of the city (Gotico)

Pros: Tastiness, Good location, Nice menu formulas
Cons: A bit expensive, "Fast-food" only (mainly burgers)
nimoe
nimoe

Todo delicioso

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2015

100% recomendable, desde sus hamburguesas (que tienen un tamaño respetable) hasta cualquiera de sus postres (tienen berlinas, rollitos de canela y tartas según el día). Llevo en Barcelona desde septiembre y sin duda es al sitio que más veces he ido. Muy barato y rico :3.

Cheap and delicious. Great burgers and great desserts (donuts, cinnamon rolls, cakes...). It's my favourite so far.

Pros: Nice staff, cheap, big portions
beaneeves
beaneeves

Best vegan burguers I've ever had

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2015

The place is quite small but it has take away! Right in the middle of the fantastic Bairri Gotic, Gopal is an excellent choice for a vegan treat. The burguers are amazing, I wish I could come back!

Pros: Vegan Burguers, Vegan desserts
Rockabillypsychosis
Rockabillypsychosis

amazing food, excellent prices!!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2015

This has been my first trip to Barcelona and Gopal really did not disappoint!! I ordered the gopal burger and fries and it was absolutely delicious. My boyfriend isn't vegan and he enjoyed it as much as I did. For a burger, fries and drink it cost around €8. There's plenty to choose from on the menu including a few different cakes. I had a cinnamon roll and it was amazing. There are a few seats inside and the staff (although they speak little English) were extremely friendly and helpful :) I'd definitely eat at Gopal again and recommend it to anybody ( vegan or not) that is in the area :)

Pros: inexpensive , friendly staff , delicious food
Caro
Caro

Nice fast food place in the heart of BCN

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2015

A nice burger place which offers vegan burgers and sausages with cheese. I had the teriyaki burger which was quite nice. The fries with sauce also looked quite tasty.
Only 4 points because I found better burgers in Germany.

Pros: vegan good price, burgers
Cons: quite busy few tables
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Vegan deli, fast food, has desserts!

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2015

I came in here after having a great lunch at Vegetalia just two doors down. It was quite busy so it seems popular. They offer a variety of vegan burgers, cheezes and charcuteries. They also had chocolate covered donuts, cinnabuns and chocolate croissants. I had a choco croissant and it was very tasty...wish I could have brought back a dozen with me!

Pros: has vegan desserts, take out, inexpensive
Cons: no/very little seating, small
AnanBauHinia
AnanBauHinia
  • raw

FAST VEGAN FOOD

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2015

The idea is fantastic, and the menu prices are good.
Different sauces, textures and mixes.
I would do better to add more leaves and greens in the menu...
GOPAL + GREEN BUFFET = JUST AMAZING FAST FOOD!

pd: Beetroot burger and lentil burger my favourites!

Pros: Price, Good fast food, Non alcohol in the place :)
Cons: No enough greens, Fried stuff
Alexandra1
Alexandra1

Yum!

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2015

Seriously delicious burgers and fries (or salads) in very generous portions, for a reasonable price. Lots of different options available. Great location. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Be sure to out Pili Pile (Gopal's healthier, more sophisticated and still incredibly good value sister around the corner!)

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 22, 2015

Pros: Great food in generous portions, Good location
MarkOstheimer
MarkOstheimer

Vegan in November

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2014

Great place for a lunchtime stopover or carry out it served us well throughout our long weekend stay in Barcelona. Good location.

Pros: Good value, Good food
Cons: Too small for a lot of hungry people
keong
keong

Nice and Cheap

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2014

I have been there for twice, the salad has good taste and is highly recommended, with a price lower than 5€.For me it's worth for it. Those staffs are friendly too, it's like a small house because the space isn't very large.

Pros: Taste, Full, Price
Cons: Space
Martin J
Martin J

Gopal and positive vibrations? do not think so.

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2014

We came down today to have our last meal in Barcelona and enjoy ourselves only to find a tiny place on a square full of winos and junkies. The quality of service has left a lot to be desired - we were rushed to make a choice, no suggestions were given to what would be tasty, only a mantra of "everything is in English in the menu" even tho we tried our best Spanish as well to get some help. We have not really been hungry, we were willing to go with anything that the staff would suggest, but forget about that, the staff soldierly like forced us to make a choice without any help.
After a humiliating experience of being rushed to order anything, we waited only to find the chips and burgers way too salty, and a salad tasteless.
I have been a vegetarian for last 15 years and I have never come across such rude behaviour from the staff in various veg restaurants around the world, the service in meat-eating places around Barcelona was way better and made you feel way more welcome.
All in all that was a low point of our last moments in Barcelona, I would not suggest going there to any of my friends.

Updated from previous review on Monday November 03, 2014

Pros: short waiting time
Cons: too salty food, rude and unhelpful staff, ghetto localisation
Zeebo
Zeebo

Best fast food/take away in Barcelona

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

Great burgers, excellent value.

vegamite
vegamite

Great vegan treats of all descriptions

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

One downside of being vegan is that you can really miss things like baked goods and fast food... i.e. Stuff that's considered bad for you. This place is great, the sandwiches, burgers, patatas bravas and cakes are all delicious. Really wish we had a place like this in Ireland.

Pros: Value, Convenience, Taste
samlove0134
samlove0134

chorizo and donuts were the best

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

This place is amazing. Cute decor and the location is extremely convenient for tourists looking for a quick bite

Pros: chorizo and donuts, location, price
deadendjob
deadendjob

Vegan Fast Food

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Read about this place on Happy Cow and was glad we went there. Quick, cheap, tasty vegan food. Recommended.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty
CaptainKarin
CaptainKarin

WOW

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

Barcelona's best fast food with incredible burgers, good chips and the very very very best donuts I've ever had!
I'm serious: you really have to taste their donuts and berliners, they're just amazing!

Pros: tasty tasty tasty, friendly staff, a lot of choices
Cons: a bit fatty
thisgoldensaviour
thisgoldensaviour

Interesting vegan burgers

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

This is possibly the best vegan burger I've ever eaten in my life... it's not traditional in a sense, but that doesn't matter. It fed me for two days straight and I am not one for processed foods... you can tell they cook with love & have great ideas. DO IT!

Pros: Very quick service, Speaks English, Fills you up
Cons: Virtually no seating available, Small restaurant, Very hot inside
paperanimal
paperanimal

Yummy burger, fries, and mate cola

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2014

This is a small deli-style restaurant in the Gothic quarter with a really impressive selection of burgers and sandwiches. Made for a perfect quick lunch before spending a couple hours shopping around the nearby boutiques. Enjoyed the quirky paintings on the walls.

Pros: great food, awesome vegan cheeses, great location
Cons: small, cash only
Vala
Vala

A must for vegans!

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

You can choose one burger ( they are 6 or 8 choices), hot dogs, croquetas, a few sweets ( we tried the chocolate cake, chocolate donuts) Yummy!
They had some cupcakes by Igualdad Animal :-)

Pros: 100% vegan, Vegan desserts
Cons: They open late in the morning so no breakfast
VeganDakini
VeganDakini

Best Vegan Fast Food in the World!

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

Gopal serves a range a delicious vegan fast food - burgers, hot dogs sandwiches with several varieties of mock meats and vegan 'cheeze'. They also sell a lot of vegan products, though these are mostly refrigerated and so wouldn't survive the plane journey home! They are clearly very passionate about animals and have a notice board with all of the latest animal rights campaigns, events and happenings in Barcelona.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great Atmoshphere
2cats2people
2cats2people

Donuts to die for

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2014

Staff dont speak much English but do their best to communicate. The burgers were tasty, the croquettes (the white one) and the tortilla was amazing. But the donut covered in chocolate was amazing.

Pros: Quick service, Inexpensive
Cons: Limited seating area, Limited English
ColletteFarnol
ColletteFarnol

Best Vegan Burgers in Barcelona!!

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

I came here daily on my holiday to Barcelona. The main choices here are burgers, there are 8 varieties, I tried the Seitan, the Teriaki and the Shitake variety. You can choose from the Burger and chips meal with a bun or a burger salad and chips. They also do delicious packed sandwiches, amongst my favourite the Faux chicken and chorizo which was really 'meaty.' They put a generous dollop od sauce with each burger, sandwich and fries too. For dessert I tried 3 types of donuts, one was a coconut topping with a chocolate filling and a giant chocolate ring donut which was lush. They also sell ice lollys and smoothie drinks. The strawberry and coconut was my favourite.

Pros: Good Value Meal Deals, Delicious range of foods, Friendly Service
Cons: Not much seating
JonJon
JonJon

Among Barcelona's bests!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

Gopal is one of my favorite vegan places in Barcelona. It offers an excellent vegan junk food with different faux-meat and cheese burgers and sandwiches. The burgers' bread is particularly very tasty, as well as their desserts (I tried a creamy carrot cake, their chocolate donuts and their cinnamon rolls: loved them all!). They also offer water ices with a lots of flavours. In terms of price, Gopal is very cheap since their portions are generous. The staff is friendly and efficient.

If you like burgers and american food, don't miss the place which additionally has a central location!

Pros: excellent vegan junk food, inexpensive, large portions, friendly staff, central
DaniM
DaniM

Amazing

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

This small and cozy deli offers a wide range of vegan burgers which are delicious! You'll find different combos as well as desserts. They also carry vegan ice cream. Friendly staff, but they don't accept credit cards.

theo-sweden
theo-sweden

Good

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

Very nice restaurant! Few seats but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Many different burgers to choose from, I got a burger with salad which was really good. Nice staff as well. Ask for the menu in english if you don't speak spanish.

Sternanis
Sternanis

Great burgers & sandwiches

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

So many flavors of burgers/sandwiches to choose from and they are both huge! Spinach tarte(?) is also nice and all the desserts looked really goos. We actually liked the sandwich (chorizo and avocado?) more than the burger but for the bread, the burger buns were more tasty (both were good of course). They have seatings inside but the place doesnt have much atmosphere. We had them to go, had them at our place and it felt like a real restaurant meal.

Pros: tasty, inexpensive, many options
Acim14

Veganessent
Veganessent

Well worth a visit!!!

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Been twice to Barcelona and always have to make a stop here. Great location and selection of simple food to go. Veggie chicken and chorizo with soy cheese was my favourite. The donuts are amazing, in particular the chocolate filled one covered in coconut! I do not leave Barcelona without eating one of these, indeed last time I bought a stack to take back to UK. The croquettes, and homemade chorizo are very tasty. Vast selection of home made veggie burger patties. I tried the mushroom and the veggie chicken ones, both had great flavour and texture. Everything is reasonably priced. Small area to sit i side store, but I get takeaway most of the time., ie on the way to the beach, excursions etc. Luckily for me my hotel was on the same block! Literally 2 mins walk! I was soooo happeeeee! No searching or starving Vegan in Barcelona! Already looking forward to my next visit as Barcelona has great dining for Vegans so you can actually enjoy your holiday or trip with ease : )

moliverd
moliverd

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

Discovered this little place on my first day in Barcelona and ended up going back for lunch almost every day of my trip. I've never been keen to try 'fake meats' but after trying the bacon and cheese sandwich I was impressed. The food is really tasty and pretty cheap too. I think it was around 4euros for a big sandwich. Tried all the sandwiches and the chocolate doughnut too, which was delicious. They also do a range of burgers, fries and other sweets too. The place is quite small and there aren't many seats but you can take away the food anyway and go sit somewhere nice to enjoy. Would definitely recommend!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 13, 2014

Pros: Inexpensive, Fast service, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited seating
kiki sound
kiki sound

vegan but not so healthy

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

maybe I was dissapointed by this place because it was so passionatly recommended to me by a friend...
the burguers are not bad really, sometimes a bit salty, most of the times (been there 3 or 4 times) too oily, and they really don't look so healthy, I miss some fresh vegetables in them, not just a fried burguer with some sauce and fries on the side...
it's a good quick vegan bite if you're in a rush and in the area, but that's about it...

first time I went they sold sweets by "Lujuria Vegana", a vegan bakery wich makes amazing cakes, last time I passed, the sweets were different

Pros: open all day, good location, city center, quick bite
Cons: oily, salty, not really healthy, no more lujuria vegana, no real food
jautrombo
jautrombo

Ideal for transition into vegan style

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

- Very affordable.
- Great quality.
- Take away place but with capacity for around 10 people to eat there.
- Lots of different kind of Burgers, sausages, omelet, sandwiches, dougnuts, cakes, soja milk for coffee.

hack_man
hack_man

Vegan Fast Food Paradiso

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

Very pro animal rights with many thought provoking posters displayed around the premises. Quite right too! The selection of burgers is quite sublime and the patatas bravas simply delectable. They have a special deal of burger, potatoes or fries and soft drink for approx €7 which is definitely worth getting. You can eat inside in the very small and tight seating area or ask to take out. A very popular and bustling little place, definitely worth a visit in Barcelona if you want a deserved fast food fix.

Pros: Selection of burgers, 100% vegan, Atmosphere
Cons: Can get packed, Dirty dishes when busy
Papika
Papika

Tasty, cheap and conscious vegan fast-food

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

Gopal is one of the most interesting vegan projects of the city, because it makes history in the defense of vegan movement. Is very well situated in the heart of the town. Offers good fast-food, with home-made burgers and sandwiches, and more typical plates as spanish omelette or croquettes. For my taste, maybe there is an abuse of fried food, but it always depends on your choice! Ideal for low-budget and take away. Friendly staff also.

Pros: good value for.money, tasty fast-food, location
Cons: long-waiting
CharlotteGoVeg
CharlotteGoVeg

Great food, good prices, very friendly staff

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

I first came here in 2010, when I was still an omnivore. A vegan friend of mine took me to Gopal and it was the first time I ever tried vegan food. Loved it so much! Last summer, I went back to Barcelona but couldn't remember the name of the place -- and then our hotel turned out to be about 200 metres away from Gopal. Needless to say, I ended up there almost every night for a week. Great food, good prices, very friendly staff.

foggymed
foggymed

très bon fast food vegan dans le barri gotic

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

Un grand choix de burgers vegan, tous excellents!
Il y a aussi des donuts, des rolls, des gâteaux magnifiques et délicieux.
Le prix est très abordable, le patron sympa.

Pros: burgers et desserts excellents, beaucoup de choix
boruzo
boruzo

as easy as burgers!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

I highly recommend the "chicken and bacon" one. So tasty!
Also, really good desserts!

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

simple and tasty!

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

One of the best places in Barcelona. Big portions, tasty and cheap. I wish I could go there once a week...
They also have a lot of sweet stuff that I really enjoyed (and I am not that crazy about sweets).

Pros: tasty, cheap, dessert
laiachan
laiachan

great vegan burgburguers

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Vegan fast food in the gothic quarter

Pros: tasty, fast, price ok
Cons: small place
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Excellent pollo

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

I've had a lot of fake chicken in my day, and the pollo in my pollo and chorizo sandwich here was the best I've ever had. I actually had a moment of doubt when I first saw it (this is a vegan place, right?)

The food here was delicious and affordable. As mentioned, the seating is limited, but this was perfect takeout for our long train ride the next day.

I was a little disappointed with the "cheese", as it was kind of just a creamy spread. It tasted good, but I was hoping for something closer to a cheese slice. Still, the sandwiches were truly delicious. Next time we are in Barcelona, we will definitely come back and try the burgers.

Pros: awesome pollo, inexpensive
Cons: limited seating
anne1
anne1

Excellent Vegan Food in the Heart of the City.

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

We love this place! It is an excellent place to pick up a burger or a sandwich to eat al fresco or take to the beach. There is limited seating inside and a few seats in the square outside.
There is a really impressive range of burgers and sandwich fillings to choose from as well as excellent value salad plates.
Gopal also has beautiful vegan cakes including doughnuts.
The staff are friendly despite the very busy and, at lunchtime and weekends, slightly frenetic pace.
You can find a lot of local information on yoga and meditation on the various flyers which would be excellent for those staying a little longer than the average holiday.
Fabulous, filling and excellent value for money.

Pros: Vegan, Great burgers and sandwiches, Great cakes
Cons: Gets very busy at lunchtime, Limited seating indoors
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Amazing desserts + vegan donuts!

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

All I had here was donuts and a sticky bun, but they were all great!

The employees were super friendly, the desserts were good, and the prices were fair.

Definitely recommend going here.

Pros: Vegan donuts, All vegan
just
just

Fantastic vegan food

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

I very much enjoyed my visit to Gopal, my favourite food place i visited in Barcelona. I had a burger with patatas bravas, all very tasty and a huge portion. It's all vegan which was wonderful It's a very laid back, friendly environment. I ate there on my own and felt entirely comfortable, sat at a table with a couple of other people. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is limited seating and no toilet. A lot of people were getting takeaway and it was very popular which is a good reflection on the place. Want to go back!

Pros: All vegan, Tasty food, Friendly
lovanely
lovanely

good indian food

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

Some things are really good, others like fried things are a bit too oily for my taste. Its a good vegetarian option if you want something to spice your day!

forisma
forisma

Great sandwiches

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

During my stay in Barcelona I came very often to Gopal to buy something.
My experience is that the burgers are not so good, I didn't like any of them (I tried 3 different). They are eatable, but not special.
The menu is too expensive for what you get. So I ordered just loose items from the card.
There is not much choice in sweets, but I liked a coconut bun. The donuts were OK too, but not special, I mean, - they are just donuts :) I like special desserts. The cake is good.
What I really truly loved with all my heart were the SANDWICHES! Fake everything - chorizo, bacon, cheese and so on, I first doubted if I would order them, but when I did I just became addicted.
There is no doubt - one sandwich provides the same calorie value as a burger and is cheaper or the same price as a burger.
So I would definitely advice you to go for a sandwich, dear hungry traveler!
I will upload pictures I made of their menu card (in English) to give you an impression of all the choices they offer (September 2013).

Pros: Cheap, Great sandwiches with fake meet & cheese, Fastfood paradice :)
Cons: It's fastfood, yes. Not healthy., No place to sit outside :(
arherron
arherron

The sort of place I really want to do well

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

All vegan, in a prominent place in the city with a range of inexpensive and innovative fast food choices to take out or eat in. I just wish the girls had been friendly and welcoming as it's exactly the sort of place I should have been spending my money.

Maybe it's just the Barcelona approach to service as there were many surly waitresses and barmaids throughout the city.

Pros: Tasty, generous portions, Central and easy to find, All vegan
Cons: Not welcoming or friendly
Harp
Harp

Not so good

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

In the past, this was one of the references in fast vegan food in Barcelona. I recently went to Gopal and I have to say that there has been a drop in the quality of the burguers.

It is not that they're bad now but they are not that good.

Pros: Price, Vibe
hungryherbivores
hungryherbivores

AMAZING donut!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

I wish there was a Gopal near my home. The food was amazing. I had a traditional Spanish style tortilla as an appetizer and it was delicious. My friend ordered croquettes and they too were very good. I ate a very tasty mock-chicken style with fake sausage on it. Desert was the best part. I had the most amazing donut I have ever had in my life. It was coated in really fresh tasting coconut and had a wonderfully creamy chocolate center. Foolishly, I did not buy more than one.

Pros: fairly priced, delicious
Cons: no restroom
RosannaRobertsdottir
RosannaRobertsdottir

Greatest place in Barcelona

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

On my holiday in Barcelona I tried a lot of vegan places but kept coming back to Gopal. It became 'our place' in Barcelona. Gopal is a vegans wet-dream, chocolate dipped donuts, crazy good burgers and cheesecakes and sandwiches with faux meats and amazingly good sauces. This place made me consider moving to Barcelona. A lot of vegan propaganda on the walls which I like, nice vibe!

Pros: Crazy good food, Good value, Nice vibe
Cons: Too big portions, hah, Unhealthy temptations too hard to resist
Kshantika
Kshantika

Great value and tasty

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

I ate here a couple of times in the last week and would definitely go again if in the area. The women serving were helpful and friendly. We both had different burgers with salad so we tried four burgers over the two visits some were better than others. The salad was made more interesting with toppings. Overall I would recommend it as great value tasty food we were very happy to find this place just around the corner from where we stayed

Pros: Great value, Tasty, Quick
Cons: Burgers not consistent, not much seating, no outside seating
Charlottaevelina
Charlottaevelina

Bad experience.

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

I wanted to go Gopal since I was in barcelona on holiday. Today I went to get a burger and potatoes. First the good news: potatoes were amazing 'cause of the mayonese, yummy. But everything else was ****. The burger was dry and gross and it was served cold.
The service was bad, staff were rude so it was uncomfortable to even be in the shop.
I can't recommend the place to anyone. :(
[edit by staff]

Pros: Good potatoes
Cons: Bad customer service, Bad food, Bad atmosphere
Wine Lover
Wine Lover

Lovely savoury and sweet food

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

I visited Gopal twice during my recent stay in Barcelona. If only they had a bigger place with more seating or could put seats outside this place would be pretty perfect. It's nice to see it is busy though.

We did manage to find a perch both times and had very nice meals. They have 6-8 different types of burger on display in a glass fronted counter and do a menu deal where you get burger (in a bun or with salad), patatas brava and a drink (incl a local alcohol-free beer option) for less than 8 euros. My companion had burger in a bun while I had my burger with salad instead of a bun both times. There is a good selection of salad items (grated carrot, lettuce, sweetcorn, large tomato slices, gherkins) but the first time it came with olive tapenade and sun dried tomato paste as well as mayo, the second time just with mayo. The burger in a bun comes half wrapped in a napkin which is ideal if you can't get a seat and need to take it away to eat on the go. The burger with salad comes on a plate with cutlery.

The cakes, supplied by lujuria vegana, were amazingly good. For take away they have a machine which seals a film lid on a take away container to keep it fresh, though some things like the doughnuts and cold burger patties, they wrap in foil.

On my first visit the person serving spoke very good english and was able to describe all the cakes to me. This was handy as the second time the server had very little english.

George Orwell Square has a few 'colourful' characters hanging out, drinking and arguing but it did not feel in any way unsafe.

Pros: Good food, served quickly, Fabulous cakes & desserts
Cons: Can be hard to get a seat, & there are no bathroom facilities
veganjess86
veganjess86

yummy and nice part of town

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Though English wasn't spoken it was good food with fast service. I saw thia place on a walking tour, its great for a quick bite if in the old city. I got a sandwich that was a mystery because I pointed to a random one, as well as potatoes. They were both delicious. They potatoes had a nice cheese sauce over them too

Pros: location, cheapish, Tim
Cons: no English
jon active
jon active

Marvellous

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

This place is my favourite vegan outlet in BCN and now there are so many vegan places to eat in BCN thats saying something! This last visit I had a truly wonderful chocolate gateau that was rich, moist, think, crunchy, creamy, and everything a sweet toothed cake pig like myself dreams of! The Shitake burger and Seitan sandwich were also great.

Pros: lovely food, friendly staff, Very Central
Cons: Sometimes rather busy so slow and nowhe
susannahbcn
susannahbcn

tasty vegan fast food

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

Vegan café, a few seats available inside, mostly take-away. They offer veggie burgers and other fake meat bocadillos on homemade bread, literally the best vegan cakes in Barcelona from lujuria vegana, and they also sell vegan products such as soya cream, vegan cheese, fake bacon. Recommended for a quick, tasty and economical bite to eat. Fast food, wouldn't class it as "healthy" but great if you want a dose of vegan burgers and fries and great creamy cakes. Some salads available.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 18, 2010

Pros: friendly staff, good value, good portions
Cons: not many seats, small
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

prefect for a quick bite.

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

on my last visit to barcelona, a year ago, i stopped at gopal a few times. it's a great vegan deli with a few burger choices. the seating area is limited, so getting something to go is a bit more ideal. everything i tried at gopal was flavorful and good.

Pros: deli foods, burgers, location
greenhexi
greenhexi

Food fast but not good. Don't serve everybody

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

They do burgers. Pre-prepared, just warmed up. Average tasting.
I would also have loved their salad but they refused to give me one. I wanted a salad and a burger, both on the menu but they said its too much (staff actually discussed it and spole about me), I still wanted it. I could have had a salad and a pattie which I finally agreed to after which they only gave me the burger. And I speak spanish. After I saw more customers I think it was because I was not pierced. Or maybe because they do not like foreigners.
Ate a few doors away at Vegalia the next days...
For the food being so poor (and the burger was just bread, pattie and sauce, not really a meal) and being treated like sh... I cannot say that I find this a good place to eat...

Pros: Existence
Cons: Tastless fast food, Restrictions on what aou are allowed to , combine
  • Wine Lover Wine Lover

As a foreigner without any Catalan I felt I was treated well. And the customers were all average looking people all three times we visited (we ate there twice but one day we could not get a seat and came back later).

danielpoland
danielpoland

For vegan Burger lovers

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Very good burgers (few options) made with delicious Burger Buns. If you love burgers like me ;) you have to visit Gopal.

Pros: very good burgers, Club Mate, cheap
Cons: no toilet, No English-speaking staff
Underdog
Underdog
  • herbivore

I really wanted to like this place...

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

If I lived in Barca and needed desperately to stock up on vegan cheese, or some kind of processed meat, I think I'd have written a better review. I came to the city as a tourist, with a little Spanish under my belt and a friend who spoke a lot more than me. I'm vegan and she's vegetarian, so finding food we can eat is challenging in Spain!

Some of my friends raved about Gopal, so perhaps I set my expectations too high. I liked the interior, but the staff were really unfriendly. I'm not sure if they dislike tourists, or Spanish speaking people (my Spanish friend says that some Catalonians get fed up with people trying to speak Spanish to them... In retrospect, I would have learned the language before, instead of assume it's OK to speak Spanish), but they very clearly treated us differently to other customers. It made us feel a bit uncomfortable. We're both very friendly, laid back people.

The food was extremely average. The teriyaki burger was basically a tasteless burger with the same sauce as the 'patatas bravas'. That said, it was cheap and you get what you pay for...

So I would like to end the review on a positive note, as I think that all vegan businesses should be encouraged. The location was cool and the place was clean. I liked the animal rights theme and it didn't come across as confrontational. Whilst I wasn't impressed by the food and service, hats off to people for actually putting a veg place in a carnivore city.

***Note: Maybe things are better in season? Or maybe we came in on a bad day?

Pros: It's cheap!, Animal rights stuff on the wall, It's probably a good place to stock up
Cons: Unfriendly staff, Food ain't amazing..., Few seats
Calypso Angst
Calypso Angst

Crazy vegan 'meat' and other comestibles

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

You can get chicken nuggets €4.75, nachos with jalapenos and cheese €3.85, paella made with brown rice (integral), pinchos (Basque country tapas) made with vegan chicken and empanadillas - all for €5.90.

There are more than ten types of veggie burger including seitan and vegetables; quinoa and olives; and tofu.

There are a number of menu options such as: quinoa burger, patatas bravas, a drink and a dessert. Or salad, burger, patatas bravas, a drink and a dessert. These menus both cost €6.90.

The strangest thing about Gopal is the vegan charcuterie where you can buy rolls of vegan chorizo, mortadella and polony. Not really my kind of thing but quite unique.

Pros: location, attitude, variety
Cons: no healthy food, not enough room
dagani
dagani

more a shop than a restaurant

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

really small and not so comfortable for sitting with friend but the prices are good. ok for snacks or quick bites.

Pros: prices
Cons: small
ruzette
ruzette

Nice fastfood !

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

Gopal is a cool vegan place.
I had a menu : the burger of the day with bread (a dahl burger), fries and a drink. The burger was really good, tasty and big enough for me ! The fries were good too and the sauce was a little spicy !
It's cheap (7,90 euros for the menu) and there is a lot of choice. The cakes looked delicious but I was full, I'll try them next time.

On the downside : there're only a few chairs to sit and there's no bathroom (too bad when you have to eat with your hands and no place to wash'em !).

Pros: Lots of choices, Good
Cons: No bathroom, Small
Rawthentic
Rawthentic

Just Vegan Deli

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

This is the only good vegan deli.They have a lot of vegan burgers which are just like burgers...only vegans. Nothing really to be excited about. If u do not want to eat "take away" you have to be lucky to get the place because it does not offer much room to sit. I was there three times while I was in Barcelona and I had to be really unlucky because every time the place was packed and I had to eat outside which wasn't a pleasure. I was also surprised when I get there with a big smile that I found the first "safe" vegan place to eat in Barcelona but the staff didn't seem to be friendly at all. excluding fact that the communication was very difficult because they couldn't speak any English ( which happens twice). I do believe that I was just unlucky to have that experience there. The good thing about gopal is that this is a vegan, cruelty free place and that how I want to remember :)

Eva*
Eva*

Nice place

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

Even though I was well informed with vegan eatings in Barcelona through HappyCow I was surprised to find both Gopal and Vegetalia on the same square just around the corner of our hostel. Great! We went the second night to eat there and took the menu with a burger (no bun), salad and fries, very cheap and including a drink. The burger and fries were great but I was surprised about our quitte luxurious salad - where mostly you only receive some lettuce and some tomato this one had olives, avocado, etc. and nice sauce. Also I liked the "all lives are precious - go vegan!" sign outside and the animal liberation/rights messages inside. After seeing all struggling living lobsters on ice and the poor turtles, rabbits, ducks and you name it being sold like worthless things on the Ramblas, good to see there are people who care everywhere.

Pros: Good portions, Cheap, Animal rights things
Cons: Staff spoke a little English
Tigra220
Tigra220
+1945

The Amazing Gopal!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

After following my GPS through the maze of the city streets, I finally found Gopal in an open square. It was late in the evening on 16Jun12, but luckily for me, Spaniards are also late owls and the restaurants all seem to accommodate. Gopal is a nice, small eatery. I liked the seating area that faced outside, so I could people-watch. The pro-vegan propaganda made me smile. Their display case showcased desserts and food, giving you the chance to see what you're getting, which is something that I very much appreciated. I only had 1 shot since I was leaving the next morning so I played it safe and ordered 1 of their veggie burgers with patatas bravas. Veggie burger was yum. Patatas bravas estaban deliciosas y perfectas!! The lady taking my order was very helpful and full of infectious energy. Loved her! I ordered a piece of carrot cake and a donut (for the nxt morning) to go. I gobbled up my carrot cake once I got back to the hotel. T'was devine!! I wish I could've taken the whole cake. The next time I'm in Spain, Gopal will be my 1st stop. (Oh & the donut was yum too!)

Pros: Vegan patatas bravas deliciosas!, Amazing vegan desserts, Awesome staff
Loli
Loli

Fast nice!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

The best vegan hamburguers!
And the desserts are from Lujuria Vegana....
Nice!

Pros: hamburguers, fast, prize
Cons: not a lot of place for sitting
vegantonio
vegantonio

punky vegan fastfood at his best - but...

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

If you are looking for burger and fastfood then here you are at the right place. If not, then forget it :-)
we tried last year and we found it funny (once you have to do it) but... delicious vegan food is something else.
Good if you are making a walking tour in the city center and you need a break... I would not advice that for an evening
dinner. 4 Star as a fastfood restaurant, 3 if you need more then that. Dessert are fine.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 29, 2012

Pros: fastfood, burger, for youngsters
Cons: only fastfood, unhealthy
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

One of my fav restaurants IN THE WORLD

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

Oh my goodness, I wish so so badly that there was a Gopal in my city! I absolutely loved this place and visited many times during my stay in Barcelona. The food is all absolutely delicious; I tried several of the various 'menu' deals and all of them were great. Crispy deep fried cauliflower OH MY GOODNESS. Went back pretty much every day for vegan croissants for breakfast. The vegan donuts and cakes were the stuff of dreams. While we were there we also got them to custom-bake a birthday cake for one of our party. They did so quickly and it was amazing! The staff are great - one guy in particular served us a few times and was super friendly, patient and attentive. The only downside is how small the place is and often all the chairs are taken. But we got take-out a few times and it was really no bother. A few chairs outside might be a good improvement as there seems to be loads of room in the courtyard outside. Oh also, they are great for sandwich fillers (fake cheese etc) and other bits and pieces if you're self catering, as we were. In short, Gopal was vital to our enjoyment of our trip and we utterly loved it! I daydream about it still... we'll be going back for sure!

Pros: Amazing food, Great service, VEGAN DONUTS
Cons: Lack of seating
chickodoo
chickodoo

Great burgers, AMAZING deserts

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

My partner and I were in Barcelona in April and I was blown away by the range of vegan eateries in the city.
Gopal was a stand out for its cakes and deserts. Each day I was there they had at least 3 cakes to choose from, as well as chocolate covered donuts and a bagel type pastry. The triple layer chocolate praline cake was heaven. My non-vegetarian/vegan partner was amazed by how "real" tasting it was. I know that Gopal order their cake from from a local cake wholesaler which is a wise choice as they are simply divine. I also had the carrot cake with vegan cream cheese on another occasion which was also lovely. The chocolate covered donut was the first in its kind I'd seen (in vegan form that is) so that was a nice surprise. I'd visited a market on the first day I was in Barcelona and a vegan stall was selling the best chocolate brownies I have ever tasted in my life. I was sad to think I'd never get to have them again since the market was only on over 2 days, but to my absolute delight when I visited Gopal the last time, they had the exact brownies in!
We also had the burgers and fries (more like chunky roast potato pieces) and even my chicken loving boyfriend enjoyed his. They had a bit of a "fake, mass produced" taste to them but were yummy none-the-less and really hit the spot for a junk food fix. The fries were delightful with a heavenly Thousand Island dressing type sauce.
The English menu was a bonus, and the staff spoke English well which was helpful. There is some animal rights information posters and cards around, with some graphic images which although never pleasant to see, was good to see because it got the word of animal welfare further across other than simply the vegan food.
I highly recommend a visit to Gopal, especially for the cakes! Amazing!!

Pros: Deserts are heavenly, wasn't too busy, Great deli range
xtinyvesselsx
xtinyvesselsx

best place in town

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

we stayed in barcelona 5 days and went to gopal once a day!to us this is the best restaurant in town; it's got a nice location, staff is very friendly and food is absolutely delicious! we fell in love with the burger menu and we're still craving for those amazing cakes they have. if you're going to gopal you can't miss the vegan cheesecake!

Pros: excellent food, cheap, big portions
Cons: small
Alanna
Alanna

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I was delighted to be staying next to this deli - selection of fast food, like sandwiches, burgers, croquettes, bocadillos (little rolls), cakes, a selection of healthy drinks. I had a seitan burger, croquettes, and a chocolate-covered doughnut. I found the savoury stuff a bit bland and dry, but the doughnut was amazing. My friend says the choc cake is also amazing. Burgers are about €6, so pretty reasonable. Very busy spot, with a wall of high chairs to sit at. Definitely worth a visit for cheap vegan take-away food. The staff had very little English.

Pros: cheap, good selection
Cons: mediocre food
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

amazing dessert

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

The desserts are amazing! The best vegan carrot cake with cream vegan cheese icing! I loved the vegan chikin burger.

Pros: fun, best desserts , huge selection of burger patties
Cons: small space
chlough
chlough

Completely Vegan.

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

I stumbled across Gopal 2 years ago, and have been back a couple of times since.

Small, completely vegan deli/cafe. They serve a variety of burgers, have bento style take away meals and a selection of cakes.

Pretty cheap, and quite friendly (the staff sometimes came across as judgmental but maybe i caught them on a bad day).

i've gone for a burger each time, they have an English menu too if you ask!

Also sells a selection of vegan meats and cheeses which is pretty useful if you're staying in Barcelona self catering.

Cheese cake is recommended.

Pros: fast food, cheap, good location
KirstenTaggart
KirstenTaggart

Vegan food in Barri gotic

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2012

YUM! Perfect place to grab a bite to eat and people watch.

Pros: Yummy, Cheap, VEGAN!!!
citizen428
citizen428

Good fast food joint

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

While I do like a good burger as much as the next guy, I have to say I'm always quite stumped by the amount of vegan places that seem to exclusively sell fast food, mostly involving a lot of fake meat.

Anyway, for a quick bite Gopal is a good place. It's small -- it only seats a couple of people inside -- and rather cute, and our sandwiches were really nice, especially the one with avocado and crispy seitan. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try the cakes, but they did look very inviting.

People who stay in Barcelona for longer and self-cater might be interested to hear that Gopal also sells patties, vegan sausages and other things to prepare at home.

All in all I'd give it 3.5 stars, but since that isn't possible on HappyCow, 3 it is.

Pros: cheap, good food, nice atmosphere
Cons: only fastfood
SethV
SethV

Good food at a Good Price

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2012

For a light dinner, it was a great choice. Home made soya burgers are their specialty. The salad was good and so were the fries.

Pros: Helpful staff, Tasty dishes
Cons: Dessert or coffee
MsBennet
MsBennet

Go for the Cakes and Desserts!!

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2012

Gopal is not a restaurant but more of a take-away place...I'm not that much into fast food so didn't try any of the burgers, but I believe they are pretty good.

I have a very sweet tooth though and was told to go here to get a cake fix...oh my God, yumyum yum...Cocolate cake is yummy, I had my first chocolate donut since I turned vegan three years ago which was heaven and they even had FLAN which was divine. Thumbs up, but know what to expect. It's not Haute Vegan Cuisine even though the desserts are definitely up there with anything fancy/schmanzy in London's or New York.

Pros: cake, cake , cake
Cons: smells like deep fat fryer
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Nice but really small place

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

The place is tiny and there are only 5 or 6 seats to eat, otherwise you have to take away your food (if you do it, no forks and knives are furnished).
Orders to be made at the bar where an infinite list of meals is written in Spanish: you feel a bit in a hurry to choose your menu.
The food is really good though and the staff nice. Just be ready to have a small bite and not eat in a "real" restaurant".

Pros: Location, Food
Cons: Capacity, Menu clarity
Librahi
Librahi

Excellent, best of Barcelona!

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

We ate here our last night, unfortunately. It was incredible. Easy to find by the map and a short walk from La Rambla. Veggie burgers were delicious with the sauce. Also took some chicken sandwiches to go for our train ride the next day and they were fantastic, even at a day old! Deserves all the praise it gets!

Pros: Great Value, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small If You Plan To Eat In
Mediterraneanlife
Mediterraneanlife

Go Vegan Go Gopal!!

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

I'm from Barcelona and yesterday I went to this vegan restaurant, all was delicious and a very good friendly atmosphere to eat with calm. Maybe is a small place, but at the same time is a very nice and simple place.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Cheap
Cons: To much good ;)
lightweaver
lightweaver

Awesome vegan food, semi-inconsistent service

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

My husband and I, both long time vegans, ate here a LOT when we were in Barca last year. Upon arrival this year, we wanted to take our omnivore friend who lives here to try the food. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday or because it was really busy, or what. Maybe the staff was stoned?

Our friend's order was totally forgotten. We had planned to take our food to-go, but after waiting for our friend's order for literally 45 minutes, the place had emptied out a bit, so we sat down to eat. Both my husband's and my crispy seitan sandwiches were not at all what we remembered. Dry, tasteless, stale bread, none of the condiments that were supposed to be on it.

Our friend's order finally came out, and it was the wrong order. After he'd already taken a few bites, one of the staff came and took it away from him, saying it was the wrong one- no apologies, nothing. We then waited another 20 minutes (I kid you not) for the right sandwich (and at this point, there was no one left in the place). Our friend's sandwich was the same, dry, flavorless experience. It was practically comical! He even had 3 pieces of tomato on his that were ALL the ends (just tomato skin). He left, vowing never to return. That was about 3 weeks ago.

REDEMPTION!! My husband and I just went back tonight, to give Gopal another chance, and had awesome, tasty burgers with lots of toppings.. only a 5 minute wait, and friendly service. We forgive you, Gopal. Everybody has an off day once in a while. I'm still giving 4 stars.

Pros: delicious, cheap, awesome portions- filling!
Cons: somewhat inconsistent service, can get crazily busy
nojvegan
nojvegan

yes yes yes

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

its really a take away but very nicely presented. it was busy when we arrived and no wonder. My non vegan friend initially wanted to go on somewhere else as all the seats were taken. But in the time our order was taken an served, space quickly came available. the food was delicious and very economical and my non vegan friend swore to return. You cant go wrong with this place. everything about it is good. congratulations to the people who have devised a model for excellent value fast vegan food.

Pros: delicious food, great value, nice premises
Kaywal
Kaywal

Uh...hello delicious food!

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

My boyfriend and I came here twice and were blown away. The place is super small, but the options are many! It should be noted that they no longer serve any raw dishes (I was disappointed!!) because there was no longer a demand. Since the place is primarily vegan "faux" meats, burgers, and hot dogs, I was expecting a kind of grungy white bread or something that goes with it...but I was so pleasantly surprised. The buns are so hearty, whole grain-y, and delicious, and there is tomato and lettuce and onion, etc served, too! Not to mention, they are HUGE. We thought it would be a snack to split one, but ended up being a meal between us. The Dahl burger was PHENOMENAL! I can't imagine a better burger there!

Also, how often can you find VEGAN potatoes bravas? They were the best potatoes bravas I had in Spain....and the PRICE?? Ridiculously cheap. Also, they have professional vegan cakes provided by a wholesale vegan baker in Barcelona. The trip to this restaurant is worth buying one of these pieces of art in itself.

One bit of advice: Know where you're going. My boyfriend and I searched for this place and failed twice before we finally found it. For the record, it's a few doors down from another vegetarian restaurant (Which we mistakenly thought was Gopal one night and were quite disappointed with the place). So look closely!

Pros: taste, price, quality
Cons: hard to find, no bathroom, no more raw food :(
Tara HD
Tara HD

OK but no more

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

A small place with lots of character. Unfortunately, a bit too small: We were there in winter and eating outside was not an option that we found appealing. Luckily, we found a place to sit inside the first time we went there.
My partner and I both ordered a burger (quinoa & olive) with fries. The taste was good though definitely not one of the best vegan burgers we ever had. The fries were soft which is fine for me but my partner likes them crispy, so wasn't very pleased.
One of the cakes looked so delicious that we wanted to come back the next day to try it. However, the place was so packed when we arrived that we decided not to go in. We found the same cake at another place though, ate it there and it was very good!

Pros: character, inexpensive, good cake
Cons: burgers were OK but no more, small
  • nojvegan nojvegan

Why only three cows. its so good its busy and hard to get in but they still offer incredible service quality and price. happy munching

Misschantel
Misschantel

A vegan delight!

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2012

I've been in madrid, Salamanca and Seville so far on my trip. And my lunch at gopal just took top spot for best food! I got the max burger. It was incredible! With a fantastic patty, lettuce, tomato, pickle, vegan cream cheese and thousand island, I just about died! It really got better with each bite. And the patatas bravas were excellent. It was such a treat to be able to have this since all the regular Spanish versions are not vegan friendly. We also go the nachos. They skimped a little on the cheese but still, best vegan cheese I've had in a long time. They were very friendly, and understanding of my bad Spanish. And the prices were pretty awesome. I will definitely go back a few more times during my time in Barcelona. Oh and the desserts looked so yummy!!!!

Pros: Everything
Cons: A little small, not a ton of places to sit
heywood100
heywood100

Mixed feelings

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

I think Gopal may have suffered from being a little overhyped in some of the other reviews, leading me to expect something a bit more...I don;t know, 'special'. The choice of burgers and other dishes is very wide, with a bewildering array of special offers available (well, it was a little bewildering for a non-Spanish speaker like me).

However, our order was actually forgotten, and I would agree with one of the other reviews that the staff take a somewhat nonchalent attitude to these mistakes, not even offering an apology, simply asking what it was we were waiting for and then producing it a few minutes later. Worse, upon actually arriving my burger was lukewarm at best (a less generous man might say 'tepid'), and my friends was slathered with a layer of vegan cream cheese thicker than the actual burger itself.

On the positive side, the side salad was huge, varied and excellent, and the atmosphere of the place was good, with lots of political posters and a clientele ranging from student types to tourists to the stereotypical punk-with-a-dog-on-a-string, giving the idea of a thriving, underground vegan community in Barcelona.

LadyBug7
LadyBug7

Que bueno!

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2011

I cannot stress how much I loved this place. I've been in Barcelona for about 10 days and even though I swore I'd eat at a different place every time, I just couldn't resist coming back to this place! The food is just great - from soups, salads, burgers, patatas bravas, desserts (chocolate mousse and carrot are a must-try!). The location is nice (Barri Gothic), staff is friendly, and prices are very good, too. It's just a combo that you rarely come across, and once you do - you should stick to it. If you're just visiting or live in Barcelona - go there for a quick, tasty bite and good company.

Pros: great food, good price, friendly staff
bluedonut
bluedonut

tasty, inexpensive, quick.

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

we had the menu del dia, for 7 euros you get a very good large salad with a variety of things in it, a vegan burger, patatas bravas or soup, and a juice. we will probably be back. it's a bit rustic and there are only about 15 seats in the place which are almost always taken.

Pros: tasty, quick , inexpensive
clairevegan1982
clairevegan1982

Amazing cakes

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

Really liked this place, been to lots of vegan places in different countries and this is one of the best. Amazing food - loved the seitan and avocado sandwich! and the cakes were divine! Must say the best cakes i've had - even from before I was vegan, really nice presentation as well. Easy to miss the place though as the name 'Gopal' is more like a swirly logo on the side of their door - so keep your eyes peeled when looking for it if you don't know Barcelona at all. Want to go back to Barcelona just to try everything on the menu :)

Pros: Extensive menu, Food tastes great, Friendly staff
Dula
Dula

Burger paradise

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

The best vegan burgers ever.The price is really good and low, taste incredible. If you spent even one day in Barcelona - it is worth visiting. Check out vegan donoughts and cakes as well. One of the best burger fast food places I've visited.

Pros: tasty food, tasty food, low price
Antje
Antje

Yummy!

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2011

We enjoyed the good "fast" food at Gopal twice during our five days at Barcelona. The burgers are just yummy and the salad is really good! I also liked the fact that they serve Spanish patatas bravas with their dishes! I am not a Vegetarian but I am convinced that I will never "need" any meat bugers any more as long as the vegetarian burgers are as good as those at Gopal!

greenknittinggal
greenknittinggal

Yummy burgers and AMAZING cake!

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

Gopal is just a tiny place in Barcelona centre. Unfortunately there are only a few little high tables with bar stools so go outside of Spanish eating hours or else be prepared to take away.
That being said, the place has got real character with tonnes of posters and stickers about vegan activism events and other vegan-friendly things.
There's a big deli counter where you can buy fake meats and cheeses (cheezly, redwoods etc, in 1kg packets!).
The menu mainly consists of burgers, many homemade with quinoa, seitan, millet etc. but some more basic patties. The menu is pretty extensive with a whole range of topping options and sauces to choose from. I like my burger in bread but you can also get it with salad or with potatoes instead or as well. It's fun to go with a friend and split 2 burgers so you can try two! There's a menu option which is good value and includes starter (soup/patatas bravas/ or salad usually), a burger, and a small dessert of ice cream or something else. You can't miss the Lujuria vegan cakes though which are quite simply INCREDIBLE! I've gone just to get a piece of carrot cake to take away before. They're professionally made by a vegan bakery. The rich chocolate mousse layer cake is also seriously good if you're into choc.
So,if you're in Barca, Gopal is a must!
(P.S. If it bothers you they don't serve alcohol, I went with a friend who was seriously peeved about being offered a bottle of alcohol-free beer! )

Pros: Amazing food, Central location, Filling!
Cons: No alcohol, Not much seating space
Happyheffer
Happyheffer

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Location: easy to find in Gothic quarter, right next to Vegetalia.
Food: fast food, like burgers, nuggets and french fries were all yummy.
Similar to Catbar. The cakes looked amazing but alas did not try any.
Staff: friendly, but they were really busy so had to wait a bit
Seating: it gets busy so seating was a bit cramped.

Zen Monkey
Zen Monkey

Loved the Chorizo

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

I visited this restaurant with some friends and had a chance to try many of their burgers and fries and some of there rather fancy deserts. It's all vegan so no worries. The chips or fries were cubed and deep fried. They were accompanied by a thousand island dressing for dip that was tart, sweet and creamy. The sandwiches were panini style smothered in sheez and sauces. The mock pollo (chicken) was quite good. The absolute perfect after bar meal though was the chorizo. Chorizo is a sausage, and being so close to Germany, there was ample access to vegan sausage. It was a spicy blend of mock meat and spices thinly sliced and layered on panini bread with thousand island dressing, sheeze and margarine. It was an easy to go meal, with a lot of flavour. I definitely recommend. This place is a must stop if you find yourself in Barcelona, and its easy to locate. Expect burgers to cost 4-8 euros and a full meal with fries and dessert to be around 12 or 13 euros. It doesn't have a lot of places to sit, so expect that you will get your food to go.

Pros: Delicious, Portable, Chorizzo
Cons: lack of seating, Minimal menu
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

A bit overhyped

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

My girlfriend and I ate here on our trip to Spain, but were somewhat disappointed, especially given the high reviews we saw here.

We knew what to expect: vegan junk food with a lot of mock meats. And the food was quite decent really. Nothing special, but a good solid bit of comfort food for a reasonable price.

What bothered us was the rest of the place. The servers didn't seem too friendly, and when our order of entrees was forgotten (an honest mistake), it was handled with a bit too much nonchalance.
We also had a milkshake each, which was really just soy milk with some flavouring. Very much not worth the price, or even the name milkshake really.

A quick note for tourists: the menu is in Spanish, but if you ask, there is a secret English menu you can obtain.

Pros: decent food
Cons: nonchalant staff, bad milkshake
TaliLerner
TaliLerner

Must go! great place!

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

gopal is a fast food, very small place in the heart of Barcelona.
it has burgers and other fake-meat foods,
it was pretty cheap and defenetlly the best burger i had so far! the bread was good and the whole expirience was great. you can ask for an english menu and they had deserts that i did not try but looked great! don't miss it!

Pros: good food, all vegan, great prices
kimchipokumbap
kimchipokumbap

A vegan gem in the heart of Barcelona

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

The best place in Barcelona for vegan fast food and take-away. The variety is huge: around 20 kinds of different burgers (including those with frankfurt, bratwurst, vegan chicken "taquitos", vegan bacon, etc). They have many different and tasty vegan sauces, vegan cheese and complements. They also serve vegan tapas and dishes like cous-cous, rice, noodles, soups, etc., depending on the day.

Pros: Thousands of options, Price is great, Delicious
Cons: Very small place, Sometimes very crowded
Alyne
Alyne

NomNom.

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

As a half-Israeli, I must admit I adhere to the Jewish stereotype of being very, very cheap. THAT being said, I feel that spending money supporting vegan lifestyles, in fun, welcoming places like Gopals is TOTALLY worth the economic invenstment.

I ate there twice in my short stay in Barcelona, and spent 4 Euros the first day on a veggie burger, but took the choice of getting it with fries instead of a bun. I thought that would mean I'd get the burger, veggies, and sauce on "patatas bravas" (essentialy hunks of friend potato) but in this I was sorely, sorely disappointed. It was literally a dry patty on the potatoes, which were very plain and I didn't even finish (and I always finish).

THAT being said, the next day I returned with vigour and vim, and asked the nice man working there to give me a good burger. It was a patty with avocado. I wished it had had some tomato and lettuce on it, but for 4 Euros it was VERY delicious and filling. Redemption!!!

Great atmosphere, opens onto a square, very nice workers, very vegan-indie-looking people who frequent it. This one girl was feeding her dog an apple, hah. Worth a visit!

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, Nice workers, Location off La Rambla
Cons: Some plain options?
Atwoodster
Atwoodster

Tasty!!!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2011

I heard good things about this place (mostly from Happy Cow) and I was not let down! The food was surpassingly cheap (they have three rotating daily specials from 6 to 7 euros) and filling (and I consider myself someone that usually has a big appetite). Out of the two times I ate there, the food was tasty and fresh, and the people there were friendly!

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited drink selection
Repeater
Repeater

Amazing burgers

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

Came here looking for some good vegan fare in Barcelona, and we were not disappointed. Ordered burgers the first time, with fries on the side. Burgers were delicious, great tasting patty, good quality soy cheese and salad. Fries were like wedges and had this amazing tomato-mayo sauce. Were able to wash down this feast with Club Mate (german drink) which was a definite bonus. Were so satisfied that we came back twice more before we left Barcelona. Were always served quickly by friendly and helpful staff. Will not forget the burgers in a hurry, would recommend to anyone!

Pros: Food, Location
kilgore
kilgore

Very difficult to find fault !

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

Gopal is only a 2-3 minute walk from Las Ramblas and proved to be our most popular eaterie on our recent trip. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the food is inexpensive, varied and delicious. There are usually 2 or 3 "menu del dia" which are excellent value for money, but every dish we tried was very nice, as were all the cakes.

Gopal also carry a large range of vegan "meats" (Rashers, bratwurst, salami, etc.) and have some great badges. Only problem is that because it's so popular, it's sometimes difficult to get a seat !

When you've eaten at Gopal, pop across the square for a pint of Amstel at Bar Lisa - what the barman lacks in stature, he more than makes up for in friendliness :-)

Pros: Varied menu, Delicious food, Friendly staff
Cons: Need a bigger premises !
hippublican
hippublican

Best thing ever

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

It's super stupid that Gopal isn't rated 5 cows. I really don't know what more someone could want from a restaurant.
Small but packed with character, Gopal is in a great location of Barcelona. If there are no open tables to grab, it's a very short walk to pleasant outdoor steps or benches to eat on (and the food is very take-out friendly).
My husband really enjoyed the daily menu, at about 6 Euro. I usually ordered sandwiches off the menu (they have English menus) and always really enjoyed what I got. My favorite was probably the pepperoni with spicy cream cheese.
By far though, my favorite part were the sweets Gopal has in the display case. I became hopelessly addicted to the chocolate-glazed donuts.
While you're eating you can glance around at all the animal rights posters and flyers hanging up on the walls. I even got a sweet anti-bullfighting pin there.
I'll definitely miss Gopal now that I'm back home!

Pros: cheap, delicious, great desserts
Shani
Shani

The best vegan pies!

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

Gopal is a small joint but full of character and true vegan spirit!
Always nice service and good atmosphere!
You sure should try the desserts they sell from a girl who makes them for several vegan restaurants.
I tried carrot cake, pistacchio raspberry, chocholate dream (yummmmm!!) and a cupcake. All of them were one of the best vegan treats I have ever had,...So if you are iNBarcelona and have a vegan sweet tooth dont miss Gopal!!!

estefinparis
estefinparis

Vegan junk food at its best

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2011

Gopal is a great place for a quick bite and will satisfy your vegan junk food cravings. Don't eat here if you're looking for healthy food, though, as everything has gone through the frying machine. Burgers, croquetas, patatas bravas, bocadillos.... Everything is really tasty and nicely presented. The juices and smoothies are also great, but make sure you don't leave Gopal without trying one of the cakes, wow!
Updated from previous review on Friday April 01, 2011

Kasia Guzek
Kasia Guzek

Vegan Heaven

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2011

Nearby the La Ramla walking street, unexpeted vegan heaven.
Menu of the day: tomato soup, rice with vegetables and vegan pesto plus brownie, everything 5,20 euros only!
Large number of sandwiches to choose from, juices, burgers, deserts, etc.
In the cold day you can drink a spicy tea there.
Very friendly staff.

Pros: all vegan, tasty food, friendly staff
Cons: too manny "burgers"
Quinnzel
Quinnzel

Excellent

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2011

I must say this is one of my favourite veg places in Barcelona. The sandwiches are great ( Dhal hamburguer/chicken style, must try), the pastries are exquisite and their Vegan Deli has amazing stuff( Try the sausages and their fake Cheddar cheese). It is cheap and their menus are a very good deal. I've brought non vegetarians and they usually repeat on their own so...do you need another reason just to go there?

Pros: Food, Staff, Price
Cons: Space
veganmanc
veganmanc

Ok for fast food

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

I had higher expectations of this place but maybe we just went on a bad night. At first we ordered a burger that was supposed to have vegan cream cheese but were told they had none of the cheese. A second order found they had none of the other cheese that was supposed to go with that either, and the sausages weren't deep fried as on the menu.
Fortunately they had a copy of the menu in English and the staff seemed friendly although we had a language problem given our very poor Spanish (obviously our fault!)- they tried to charge us twice for our food and luckily another customer intervened to translate as our phrase book couldn't help us say we'd already paid!
If you just fancy a burger and chips then this is the place, totally vegan and big selection. But in the main this just seemed to be frying up some commercially bought burgers and sausages.

Pros: 100% vegan, English menu
ChaTo
ChaTo

I am lovin' it :-)

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2010

I have been living in Barcelona for about 5 years now and I was really missing a place like Gopal. They have cheap, but good fast food for vegans, particularly a nice selection of vegan "burgers". My favorites are the "carnitas" ones and the "crujiente de seitán". They also have combo meals, "patatas bravas" and hot soup in winter. Moreover the place is one of the key meeting points for animal right activists.

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Quick
Cons: Few tables
Blueberries
Blueberries

Lo me gusta mucho!

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2010

¡Pienso que Gopal es fantastico! Hay un seleción grande de los hamburguesas enormes con queso vegana y ¡los pastels¡.. ¡Que rico! ¡Volveré pronto!

Pros: Los pastels, Los hamburguesas enormes!
Cons: Falta de los asientos
AJensen
AJensen

YUM!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

Went to Barcelona for a few days and ended up Gopal-ing it 3 times! Everyone working there was helpful and friendly, and the food was delicious. I had all three of their summer soups, the salad with everything, the fresh baked daily bread, and even a blueberry muffin topped with a mountain of cream. Heaven! My boyfriend ate giant burger after giant burger with fries. And they have so many burger options! Although they are helpful and speak some English, they do have an English menu if you ask for it. Last but not least, it definitely fits the budget. Enjoy!

Pros: All vegan, Good food, Nice staff
Cons: Small, Limited seating
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

A somewhat dissapointing experience

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

I had quite high hopes for this place and it really did not live up to expectations. Basically it is a vegan Deli. It does not offer much room to sit and is hot as hell in there in the summer. The sandwiches are affordably priced but basically are a large selections of fillings including faux meats on giant buns.I had the Sabrosa, with a soda and the chocolate fudge cake for dessert. the entire meal set me back 9 Euros. The FUdge cake cost 3 but for a vegan cake it held together excellently, was quite rich and had a wonderful consistency. The sandwich though, was extremely mediocre and half the vege meat came out at once leaving me with half a roll with some dressing. While i did not try the burgers i felt the meal left something to be desired and left me a far sweatier and less comfortable man than when I walked in.

Pros: Lots of sandwich choices, GOOD cake
Cons: lots of sandwiches, No atmosphere or air conditioning, Alot of bread, with little content
Al-Cajon
Al-Cajon

Ni fu ni fa

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

I've eaten more tasteful BUT it really tasted good!! Unfortunately it was not that cheap but anyways: VERY friendly staff, great assortment and if you chose "take away" you can eat within 5 mins of walk at the beach.

kwanza
kwanza

First rate fast food cafe

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

First rate fast food cafe, 100% vegan. Great bocadillos (sandwiches), snacks, juices and cakes. Very helpful and enthusiastic staff. It also has a 'vegan deli' with an impressive variety of vegan cheeses and fake meats.

The location is also very pleasant - you can either eat in the cafe or in the square.

As of June 2010, Gopal is open between 10am and 12 midnight, 7 days a week.

Pros: Huge variety, Friendly staff, Great cakes
ClauseIV1918
ClauseIV1918

Highly recommended

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2010

I loved this place! I am not vegan, but am dating one so we tend to seek out vegan places where ever we go and this one is a gem. The food is filling and cheap, prepared with loving care. The owners tend to work behind the counter and one gets the impression that this is a labour of love - something they do because they believe in it. The place has an authentic feel which is really attractive compared to some of the awful generic eating places in the area. I really enjoyed eating here. The savoury food is good, and the cakes are something else. Absolutely amazing. The best vegan cakes I have ever tasted (apart from my girlfriend's carrot cake, but that's a different story...). For those not able to communicate in either Spanish or Catalan there is a lovely waitress who speaks flawless English and is very helpful. She is there in the late afternoon/evenings. Look for the red hair - you can't miss her. All told well worth going and certainly planning on going again next we are in Barcelona.

Pros: The sandwiches, Oh my god the cakes, The service
Cons: ahm...
Bow
Bow

Vegan heaven!

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2010

Gopal is an absolute must-visit for vegans in Barcelona (and not just vegans - my omni boyfriend loved it too!). I went there on my first day, lured by the reviews, and it was so good that we ended up going there every day of our holiday. There are so many things to recommend about this place. First, the staff are really friendly and helpful. Second, there is a decent choice of main courses, from bocadillos (sandwiches Spanish-style, delicious and really filling) and a variety of burgers to a daily special. Third, it is fantastic value for money - a very satisfying main course and dessert plus a drink will leave you with change from 10 euros, and you won't need to eat again all day! Finally, and most importantly, their desserts are out of this world - so much that they get their own review!
Mmmmm cake. Oh, to be back in Barcelona! As a huge fan of cake who has made a lot of cakes in my time as well as sampled vegan cake wherever I go, I would rate this cake as up there with the best I have ever tasted - rivalling Vegan Treats in New York (and that is really saying something!). They do the most beautiful layer cakes with amazing cream fillings, biscotti, cupcakes, cheesecakes, cookies, brownies - if you have a sweet tooth, you will never want to leave this place. And because everything is 100% vegan, you can order with confidence (just as well, as it tastes so good that you would otherwise worry that they had given you the non-vegan one by accident!). The cakes seemed to vary daily, but a staple was the vanilla and strawberry cake - try it, you really won't be disappointed. I'm normally a total sucker for chocolate cake, but I never even tried the chocolate cake here because there were so many other interesting combinations to choose from (raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake; layer cake with coffee biscotti, praline cream and chocolate fudge - I'd better stop writing before I keel over, oh boy...).

Last but not least, if you are lucky enough to come at the right time (after 4pm in our experience), there is a waitress who speaks amazing English and who is really really nice. She explained what all the different things meant (although there is also a helpful English menu), and was happy to customise sandwiches for us.

In short - we loved this place, go check it out!

Pros: Cake!, Perfect for vegans, Friendly service and great value
Cons: Could use more seating
MissyV
MissyV

Highly recommend!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

I went on a backpacking trip to Europe last March/April 2010 from Los Angeles, California and this was by far my favorite veg restaurant we went to. There food is so deliciuous and definitely satifies your stomach at such an affordable cost, especially with the euro. Their desserts are orgasmic! Chocolate pistachio cake, so good! Gopal's desserts are one of the best vegan desserts I ever had. Their bake chef is amazing and the owner is sweet, met both the baker and owner. My friend and I came back here like 5 times during our week stay in Barcelona and our non vegetarian friends loved it too! Definitely check this place out.

Pros: tasty, variety, filling, friendly staff
Cons: slow service
nico
nico

Plaza Trippi retreat

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2010

Wow! So cheap and tasty! Amazing nice people there! Huge variety of very good veg-burger with homemade bread!!

buzzlambert
buzzlambert

Awesome

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

Started out as a Veggie place with Vegan options but they were convinced by thier employies and are now 100% vegan! Such a cool staff and a Huge selection of Vegan hamburgers, hotdogs, soups, traditional Spanish fair, and all kinds of typical Deli type options. The Vegan Cake selection is from Lujuria Vegana they make some of the most orgasmic cakes you've ever even fantasized about! You can even get all sorts of products like V-Cream Cheaze, slices of chedder and mozzerela, salami, tofutti, all for your own use at home.

Pros: Cheap! under 6 euros for loads of mosh., cool staff, groovie hipster deli vibe.
Cons: plaza trippy (george orwell)is't so nice, not a lot of place to sit
  • gopalbarcelona gopalbarcelona

Dear buzzlambert!! I am the owner of Gopal, I don't know who have told you that our employers have change our point of view, I just want to told you that this is not at all what hapened and I don't know what is your interest to say this here. Anyway thank you for visit us and I hope to see you again soon

Dear Owner and Manager of Gopal: