General store and vegetarian cafe. Serves local and organic food including soups, sandwiches, veggie burgers, quiche, organic baked goods, breakfast all day, and kid's menu. Cafe service is limited on Sunday to soups, salads, vegetable tarts, desserts, and beverages. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Take-out
209 S Raleigh St
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25401
304-262-9978

Open Mon-Thur 9:30am-7:30pm, Fri-Sat 9:30am-8:30pm, Sun 1-5pm.

First Review by batgrrlnyc
Bethany1202
Bethany1202

Good Natured is good...

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2014

Good Natured is a small cafe, one of the few veg-friendly places in town. It's a cozy shop and has a few tables to sit down and be served food, unlike so many other "restaurants" where you order at the counter and pick up your food yourself.

The menu contains a few vegan selections and some vegetarian selections. There are salads, sandwiches, entrees, and desserts. I believe it is all vegetarian and most can be made vegan. They also offer some gluten-free selections.

I have tried a few different things and they taste okay, but I am a decent cook and feel I can make most of the foods better myself because I know what I like best.

I am not dogging Good Natured, but I only go there once in awhile when friends plan on going. I definitely recommend checking it out as the food is good, the environment is cozy, and the store is great for finding some hard-to-find ingredients.

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Pros: Comfy full-service restaurant, All vegetarian, some vegan / some GF
Cons: Food is good, but not impressive, Not a huge menu
Rather Be Hiking
Rather Be Hiking

Excellent Food

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

We were driving down Highway 81 at lunch time, ate at this café. Food was delicious, including a very large salad with fresh greens, and split pea soup with crackers. Plan to visit again on next trip!
PS you have to go to their kitchen to let them know you are there! But service was good.

MissJenny
MissJenny

Love this place!

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

I have only eaten here once, but I was super impressed with the food, the service, and the general feel of the place. The atmosphere is very casual and intimate, you almost get the sense that you're in someone's home (the fact that it's located inside an old Victorian house gives it huge bonus points.) The food was absolutely delicious- fresh and simple, but ridiculously enjoyable. Particularly awesome was the raw, vegan blueberry cheesecake (picture to follow) which, if I'm not mistaken, was prepared by a local resident. The prices were great as well, very affordable and reasonable given the fact that such high-quality ingredients are used. There is even a little store attached, so you can stock up on all sorts of veg-friendly products while you're there, all at great prices. I definitely need to frequent this place more often!

Pros: amazing food, store with awesome veg products, great atmosphere

AlexandMarie
AlexandMarie

Very Nice Suprise

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

Wasn't expecting to find a great Veg Restaurant on our camping trip to Harper's Ferry but noticed a listing for Good Natured in Happy Cow. What a great surprise. It was just wonderful. I had a cup of the Lentil Stew which was tasty and filling along with the best Vegan Reuben sandwich ever! Marie had the Falafel wrap that was reported as the best falafel ever. We topped it off with carrot cake and chocolate moose cake for desert. sinful!! The coffee was fair trade and also superb. relaxing atmosphere and I think they must have upgraded the parking because we had no problems with the pickup truck, there is also on street parking

Pros: quality food, good selection, reasonable prices
Cons: none
cvweirick
cvweirick

Oh my goodness!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

this place is truly wonderful! I go here to buy everything i need for vegan baking, or just baking in general. they hav a wonderful selection of spices! they also have an amazing cafe in the back where they play live music some nights. anytime I go I always have to give myself a while, I just love looking at everything they have.

Pros: family owned, intelligent staff, amazing selection
Cons: strange location
zippypo
zippypo

Fantastic Little Out of the Way Cafe

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2010

I stopped here over the weekend while traveling.
Was not hard to find and is a old house with rustic charm.
The dining room is small and cozy like being at home.
The specials are posted when you first enter. I ordered a millet burger. The burger was delicious and made to order.
It came on a toasted homemade whole grain bread.
Served with this was a beautiful green salad with sprouts and blueberries.All this for $7 about the same price you would pay for garbage fast food but much healthier.
The food here is organic and freshly prepared.
Owner is very friendly.
Store has basic items like soaps and elixirs.
If you are driving a RV like I was there is no parking for large vehicles close. There is a appliance store across the street you can park there. The parking is limited and would not recommend trying to take a large RV there.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Good prices on elixirs, Take Out available
Cons: Limited Parking
batgrrlnyc
batgrrlnyc

Healthy haven in Martinsburg

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

I live in NYC, where there are always vegetarian options, healthy and otherwise, readily available. When I visit Martinsburg, I find the restaurant choices more limited than what I'm used to, and had pretty much given up on finding anything healthy. When Good Natured opened their cafe, I was ecstatic. There is an outstanding, diverse menu, made right in the kitchen in the back. The owner is very nice and accommodating. While waiting for your order, shop around the store, which specializes in organic, fair trade, healthy, sustainable items, anything from candy to gardening supplies to shoes. They also offer an impressive music section. The food is worth the wait; everything I've tried is delicious, attractively presented, and makes me feel like I'm finally eating something healthy! I'm looking forward to my next visit so I can go back.

Dear Owner and Manager of Good Natured Cafe: