Good Karma Cafe

Vegan cafe, juice bar, and bakery. Uses local and fair trade and organic products whenever possible. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by MrsMaggie
TO13IAS
TO13IAS

Great Place

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2014

As a new vegan it felt good to be able to pick anything on the menu and know that it was vegan. The food was delicious and I will definitely be going again.

Pros: Good Price, Large Selection
Lille
Lille

Like being in mom's kitchen

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

Good karma is like a home away from home to me. Friendly engaging humans stand before you in an open kitchen with the best everyday plant based ingredients and make you this excellent meal from scratch of delicious comfort food, and then smile and tell you good bye by name. The chef creates mouth-watering specials every weekend which are just about as gourmet as you can get, but less expensive than any gourmet restaurant I know. When near Red Bank, Good Karma is almost exclusively my choice for restaurant dining. Note: portions are big so I often split with a friend and we have just about the right amount of entree. We can always split a salad if we are hungrier than usual. If alone, taking home leftovers us s good option but it is not easy to do because the food is so delicious !

Pros: Plant based food, Home cooked type comfort food, Surprising care and detail
Cons: Often crowded or have to wait for table, Have to carefully monitor amount of inta, Street parking is not handy at times
passedout
passedout

This Place Has Vastly Improved

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2013

I went to Good Karma when they first opened up and was sort indifferent to it. The food was not bad, but it didn't totally wow me.

Fast forward to a month ago. I gave this place another chance and certainly glad that I did. They have improved their game quite a bit. The food is fresh, with interesting flavors and creative presentations. Don't forget about the excellent deserts. Plenty of gluten free options here if needed without sacrificing taste.

I would recommend the vegan cheese plate, the love bowl, any of the cashew-based deserts and if you still have room try the "cotton candy" smoothie. All in all, a great experience.

Pros: Great Food, Good Service
Cons: Small Place
cowgodess77
cowgodess77

Delicious All Vegan Restaurant!

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

This is actually the only all vegan, organic, full kitchen restaurant in New Jersey. That said it's still way better than any other "veg option" place in the area. They have a few really great raw dishes as well as healthy macrobiotic type dishes (try the Love Bowl!).

Pros: All Vegan!, Great Food!, Good Service!
Cons: Red Bank parking, Small space
liteasafeather0203
liteasafeather0203

good karma all around!

3 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

Food is delicious! I keep ordering the pineapple mango tempeh when I go there. It's out of this world. The staff is so pleasant and down to earth. I love the whole look of the place. Very earth, yet colorful, but they may need to move to a bigger spot soon because it is always packed and don't have enough seats.

Pros: food, staff, environment
Cons: space, seating
DebraB
DebraB

Awesome!!!!!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

This place is unbelievable!!!! However small, the menu selection on the raw foods was to die for. Went for a belated birthday dinner and wanted to pick all the items!!!! Had the raw pizza, lasanga, and another item that slipped my mind. Even our drinks were raw and we had kambucha. The service was friendly, and quick. Now if I could only replicate the food I ate here at home. I live too far from Red Bank so traveling a distance to try out the place was very worth it. Do not leave without dessert, I had the tiramisu and my friend had the pudding (daily flavor) which was raw as well and posted pics of it. We had a table right away but because it's a small cafe, it may tend to be very busy. Will highly recommend it.

Pros: raw healthy selection on menu, food full of flavor
Cons: small, not much room for privacy
dioxazine
dioxazine

Great Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2011

I drove an hour and 20 minutes to get to this place for my vegan girlfriend's birthday, and it was completely worth it. The staff was really cool and we loved everything that we ordered. If this place was closer we would be there every week.

Jason12341234
Jason12341234

Thank you for 100% vegan!!

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

This place in Red Bank has multiple options, depending on what you want. I think the live salad is the best, but the bar-b-q tempeh wrap is good as well. The nice thing about getting a sandwhich here, is you get a tiny, but tasty, side salad. The salad dressings are very awesome. Love the thousand island, lemon dressing, and apple-cider vinegar. Wish they had a few more unhealthy things. Wouldn't mind a good basket of onion rings, fries, etc... But they have a small kitchen. Hopefully they will be successful and eventually expand to a larger place (if that is what they want).

Pros: all vegan, fresh food, tasty!!!
Cons: tight fit inside, can take a while to get your order
tigercat
tigercat

well, it's vegan

2 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2011

Sad to say I was disappointed here. The restaurant is too small for comfort. We were shoulder-to-shoulder with everyone. People had to get out of their seats for anyone to be seated at adjacent tables. The service was attentive, but the food was indifferently made. My companion's pita was so chewy he couldn't eat it. My burger was slapped together, barely garnished. The patty itself was too thick, making the inside undercooked (wonder if the cooks have tried it). Salad dressings were old and bland. Lentil soup was a pureed mush, leaving it without character. I hate when my cooking is better than a restaurant's. There is something worth saving at this place, but it needs work. The quality of Down to Earth--even when it was failing--is not present here.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 13, 2011

nardanddee
nardanddee

Love, Love, Love

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2010

This little place is excellent! I ordered the spicy peanut satay and enjoyed every morsel of it (forgive the blurriness of my picture). I also had the hemp, chocolate chip cookies. The food is reasonably priced and they offer a good selection of items. There is metered parking all around, so getting a spot isn't a problem. It is a small establishment, though-so you may not want to bring a huge entourage :)

Pros: good food, plenty of parking, good variety
Cons: small venue
Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

More like GREAT Karma!

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

Amazing! The cafe is small and unassuming, but the food is so delish! I started with the Butternut Squash Coconut Soup which was like warm, creamy heaven in a bowl. Incredibly flavorful and easily some of the best soup I have ever had. I followed that up with the Live Nachos based on another review I read here. The staff of ladies working there were also very pleasant and helpful and seemed to truly enjoy being there. I was a bit hesitant because it's cold outside so I debated the raw thing because I was wondering about something hot to help me warm up. I made the right choice. The "Nachos" were unreal. The chips themselves were hearty and complex, and the cashew cheese and guac were so creamy. The sunflower crumbles were so tasty and the pico and lettuce added a nice veggie balance. The cafe is simply and small, but a few well-placed whimsical paintings add a touch of cheer. I will most certainly be returning!

Pros: Food, Waitstaff, Choices
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

Vegan food is back in Red Bank!

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

For those that have missed Down To Earth the last few years, this place is for you! Great selection of vegan foods including some that used to be on the old Down to Earth menu and including some raw options. As previously stated the place is small and can be busy so you may have to wait to be seated.

Pros: Great Vegan food
Cons: Small , A little pricey
planet nice
planet nice

• raw

Yummmmmy

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

We loved this place. Very cute and in a great location. We work out a few doors down at the Power Center and then have a great meal at Good Kharma. The live nachos were incredible and gave NYC and LA raw food places a run for their money. Way to go!! Hoping to see more places like this to pop up. Thumbs up

Pros: very friendly staff, fresh food
Cons: no full juice menu yet
Colby
Colby

• herbivore

Good Karma, Good Food

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

The meal I had at Good Karma Cafe was very good. The quality of the food was excellent and it was quite delicious as well! I ordered the Maco Plate which consisted of brown rice, black beans, pickled veggies, a seaweed salad and sautéed tofu. The dish was very well prepared.
The cafe is on the small side, so there was a tiny bit of a wait before we got a table, but it's a nice cozy atmosphere. The prices are a little expensive, but you get quite a bit of good quality food on your plate. I'll be back again, next time I'm in the Red Bank area.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: expensive, small dining area
LotusGrrl
LotusGrrl

Mmm...deelish!

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

EVERYTHING is made in house, 100% vegan, organic and delicious!! A few live (raw) food options as well. ...And don't skip dessert, you'll be sorry!!! Suggested eats include: Live nachos, love bowl, gado gado salad, and MAGIC COOKIES!

Pros: Fresh food, friendly staff
MrsMaggie
MrsMaggie

Great Place

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

This place is actually 100% vegan, we went there Saturday 3 days after it opened and it was packed the whole time we were there. The staff was great as well as timely, the food was just as great and is not the typical dishes you find in most vegan restaurants. The prices are typical of most vegan places with entrees ranging from $10-15. No complaints about anything except that they are a small place so if going with more than a couple people you should probably call ahead.

Pros: Great food, Great service
Cons: Small space

Dear Owner and Manager of Good Karma Cafe: