Golden Vegetarian Food

Family-run restaurant on the main street in Sai Wan Ho and is popular with the locals. English menu available, some staff speak English. Also has a take away counter. If vegan ask one of the English speaking waitresses for, 'no egg, no milk, no honey.' The wheat noodles have egg, the rice noodles are egg-free (check with staff in case things change). Direction: Sai Wan Ho MTR, Exit B, walk east for 5 minute on the main road. The restaurant is on the other side of the street just past the tram stop). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Cantonese

• Cash only

First Review by JohnnySensible

Golden Vegetarian Food

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2015

after a show at the hk film archive which ended around 9+ pm, i decided to try my luck to see if this place was still open. it officially closes at 10, but allows diners to continue eating till past 10.

i spent a while browsing through their extensive english/chinese menu and settled on dumpling soup noodles (hkd42). the thin noodles were springy, al dente and reminiscent of my "mak's noodles wonton meen" days. the soup contained seaweed, cabbage, straw mushroom and dumplings (diced leafy veg, possibly bok choy?; black fungus; and finely diced i think soy-based mock meat). overall, it was an enjoyable dish.

besides chipped crockery (thankfully just the plate on which my bowl stood on), my only other complaint is that i was charged hkd6 for a teapot of water, of which i only had a tiny cup. it was the same price as a pot of chinese tea, which i declined as it would affect my sleep at that hour. when i asked the waitress about it, she said something along the lines of "water has to be boiled, whether it's for plain water or chinese tea." however, had i declined even water, this wouldn't have been added on.

this silly policy aside, i'd be happy to come back to try other dishes.

Pros: enjoyable bowl of noodles, opens till 10 pm
Cons: chipped crockery, charged for water

Golden Vegetarian Food, Hong Kong

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

I had dinner here this evening. What a top place.

1stly the choice is immense, not that I'm complaining. I eventually gave up trying to decide and asked the staff for recommendation. They gave me a hot pot type dish with gluten and mixed veg and steamed rice. It was great. Through in some Chinese tea in a pot and all ends up it came to hk$ 91.

I also really liked the people in here. I asked the staff for some Chinese words to start to build my vocab up (hello, please, thanks etc). They were great. I not only had some great food in here, I also had a little bit of fun. I look forward to returning.

Pros: vegan friendly, Massive choice, Helpful staff

A good choice if you're in the area

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

We came upon this place as a second choice, as we couldn't find the place we wanted. We ordered a set meal for 2 at 155$ and were happy with what we got. The food was tasty and the quantity was sufficient. We would certainly return.

Pros: reasonable price, informal, friendly staff

• herbivore

50 metres away from the old location -

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

Last week they served me my usual red bean dessert which tasted weird.

I challenged the owner.

He had 'decided' to make it with cows milk instead of soya bean milk.

He giggled nervously - deeply ignorant.

I have supported this business for 4+ years & have taken many friends there.

Never again!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 10, 2008

More seats!

Was busy on the very first day!

Great little business - serving hundreds of veggie meals each day!

Some English spoken.

When I ask for "plenty of veggies & almost no oil" they are happy to oblige / cook something up for me.

Hong Kong's Buddhist veggie places do not have any tradition of serving salads - give them time!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 10, 2008

My local place

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

The food here is tasty. This was my first place
to have a dinner in a vegetarian restaurant.It was a good experience for me. I didn't know that vegetarian food could be so tasty. The ladies who run this business are very nice.

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Vegetarian Food: