Golden Vegetarian Food

Inexpensive family-run restaurant on the main street in Sai Wan Ho very popular with the local community. Big choice of food. English menu available, some staff speak English. Also has a take away counter. Plenty vegan choices. Staff try to be helpful. If vegan ask one of the English speaking waitresses for, 'no eggs, no milk, no honey'. The wheat noodles have egg, the rice noodles are egg free (check with staff in case things change). Direction: Sai Wan Ho MTR, Exit B, turn left to walk East on the main street in Sai Wan Ho for 5 minutes. The restautant is on the other side of the street just past the tram stop). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Cantonese, Take-out.
G/F Scenic Horizon Building, 250 Shau Kei Wan Rd, Sai Wan Ho (Sai Wan Ho MTR Exit B, walk west for 10 minutes)
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

Stevie
Stevie

Golden Vegetarian Food, Hong Kong

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

I had dinner here this evening. What a top place.

1stly the choice is immense, not that I'm complaining. I eventually gave up trying to decide and asked the staff for recommendation. They gave me a hot pot type dish with gluten and mixed veg and steamed rice. It was great. Through in some Chinese tea in a pot and all ends up it came to hk$ 91.

I also really liked the people in here. I asked the staff for some Chinese words to start to build my vocab up (hello, please, thanks etc). They were great. I not only had some great food in here, I also had a little bit of fun. I look forward to returning.

Pros: vegan friendly, Massive choice, Helpful staff
simdel
simdel

A good choice if you're in the area

4 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

We came upon this place as a second choice, as we couldn't find the place we wanted. We ordered a set meal for 2 at 155$ and were happy with what we got. The food was tasty and the quantity was sufficient. We would certainly return.

Pros: reasonable price, informal, friendly staff
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

50 metres away from the old location -

2 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

Last week they served me my usual red bean dessert which tasted weird.

I challenged the owner.

He had 'decided' to make it with cows milk instead of soya bean milk.

He giggled nervously - deeply ignorant.

I have supported this business for 4+ years & have taken many friends there.

Never again!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 10, 2008

Re-opened!

More seats!

Was busy on the very first day!

Great little business - serving hundreds of veggie meals each day!

Some English spoken.

When I ask for "plenty of veggies & almost no oil" they are happy to oblige / cook something up for me.

Hong Kong's Buddhist veggie places do not have any tradition of serving salads - give them time!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 10, 2008

Guest
Guest

My local place

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

The food here is tasty. This was my first place
to have a dinner in a vegetarian restaurant.It was a good experience for me. I didn't know that vegetarian food could be so tasty. The ladies who run this business are very nice.

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Vegetarian Food: