Golden Phoenix - Evergreen...

Serves meat, veg options available. In late 2012 Evergreen House (vegan restaurant) moved inside Golden Phoenix restaurant (non-veg). There are two separate kitchens here, Evergreen's is all vegan. However, as reported Jan 2013, there's no longer a separate room dedicated to the Evergreen House vegan food and menu. Everyone is seated in the main area, and given a menu that includes non-vegan food. Be sure to ask specifically for the Evergreen menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg
1084 S State St (E 900 S)
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
801-539-1122

Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri 11:30am-10pm, Sat 12-10pm, Sun 1-9pm.

First Review by Meggie and Ben
Moneyz
Moneyz

Delicious

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

Despite all the negative reviews I love this restaurant and their food. They have an entire separate section in the restaurant that is vegan and the menu surprisingly provides a multitude of options. I've had their dumplings, multiple stir fry's, as well as some of their faux shrimp dishes. I also love their spring rolls. I really like coming here when I'm in the mood for something Asian, vegan and Asian is hard to find in SLC. The prices are fair for the size. I like the location. They are never too crowded and always courteous and friendly. The service is not too quick though. I come here often with my family and friends and I always have good experiences.

Pros: Yummy, Decent Prices, Separate Vegan Dining Section
Cons: Slow Service, Not Many Deserts
Navegante
Navegante

Convenient to downtown for a cheap lunch.

3 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

This place isn't perfect. The facilities are aging and could use some renovations and updates. The staff is nice. I had to ask for the vegan menu, which is separate. There were plenty of options - all vegan! I tried the lunch combo of 'golden nuggets' which consisted of 6 faux chicken nuggets covered in a slightly sweet sauce and shredded carrots. On the side, there was rice, a spring roll with sauce, and unseasoned cooked broccoli. It was similar to eating a re-heated frozen vegan kids meal. Not horrible, but not fresh. It filled me up and was cheap. I'll try this place again, but try something else next time.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Cheap prices, Close to downtown
Cons: Food seems frozen and not fresh, Facilities are run down
zgeist
zgeist

Great For Lunch! Can Be Addictive

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

I am so happy to hear that Evergreen stayed open. Here is a restaurant that is far from perfect, but I have to score it well.

For what they have they do a great job. The prices are amazingly good. You can get stuffed for $6.95 if that's what you're after. So based on the price and circumstances of the restaurant I have to rate it high.

They stayed open by moving into another asian restaurant. They have seperate preperation areas and completely seperate menus so there is no chance of messing up. There is another restaruant that doesn't do that and I always get nervous that they will mess it up and put something in the food. Evergreen doesn't do that.

The service is, well, let's say it's not the Ritz, it's typical Chinese Food service. They smile sometimes, sometimes they just take your order. But they always get it right. The Mr. Chu green sauce is a must order. My two fav's are the number 6 and the number 7.

I must say though, the only two choices are mushroom stem and soybean as the "protein." I think that could be expanded. Other than that, it tastes freakishily like what I remember real chicken tasting like that many years ago.

Pros: Price!, Great Sauces, Open Everyday
Cons: Only one type of protein / Soy, Strange Ambiance, Uncomfortable Seating
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Not as good as I was expecting...

2 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

A little while after Evergreen House closed, Golden Phoenix opened up new dining and kitchen sections of their restaurant with Evergreen House's menu. Exciting! So, my husband and I had to drop by. We actually never went to Golden Phoenix when they were around, so I can't comment how it was in comparison, but I can give my opinion on their food in general.

We were super excited about the boba tea they had, and their flavors didn't disappoint. Very good.

Next we got the crispy tofu boa, which was totally not what I was expecting. It wasn't like tofu at all... it was kind of like flaky, greasy... chicken fingers with a ketchup-tasting sauce. They definitely weren't bad, but they were SO greasy I could only eat one or two. With the flakiness it was almost like I was just eating layers of grease.

For our entrees, my husband got the curry potato with soybean and I got the so good seaweed roll with brown sauce. I was very excited when I heard they had brown rice, and both my husband and I ordered it. Unfortunately, I didn't really like either of our meals. My husband's curry potato with soybean tasted like some kind of weird out-of-the-box gravy over hash browns, carrots, and a really weird tasting soy 'meat.' Mine was totally bizarre and I can't really tell if I hated it or I hate fish now (it's supposed to be like a fish filet). Either way, the nori and brown sauce combination totally grossed me out and I hated how the veggies were undercooked.

Sooo all I ended up eating was a few pieces of tofu boa and a probably two bites of my entree. I was kind of disappointed and want to go back to see if we just ordered the wrong things, but I also don't want to pay for a bad meal again???

Pros: Good prices, All vegetarian
Cons: Food isn't good

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Phoenix - Evergreen House: