Golden Mean Café is one of the brightest stars in the increasingly dense constellation of veg*n spots in the LA area. The owner has gone the extra mile to manifest the magic formula: tasty and healthful cuisine, organic ingredients, a warm and inviting atmosphere, commendable efforts toward sustainability, and a lot of love.
The food ranges from good to great. Some of our favorites:
- Veggie burger: excellent - one of the best we've tasted
- Quinoa: extra-delicious
- Various salads and greens: all great
- Desserts: Vanilla coconut cake is the best we've ever had, and the "New York Cheesecake" was quite good, too.
Other things you might consider:
- The house-made hot maca drink is quite nice.
- The pistachio-crusted "chicken" has mild but interesting flavor and comes with a side of quinoa (which i liked even more than the "chicken").
- Spinach artichoke dip: the dip itself is great, though the homemade cactus tortilla chips, as much as i like the idea, didn't really do it for me.
- The "rustic Fibonacci cornmeal crust pizza": inventive (quite a leap from traditional Italian-style pizza pie) and very tasty, though the serving size was quite small, especially for the price.
- Portobello mushroom panini: good but not great (i've had more flavorful ones elsewhere).
- Quesadilla: About as good as vegan quesadillas get (due in part to the Daiya "cheese," which melts well), but even the best of the mass-marketed vegan "cheeses" feel kinda plastic to me so i didn't love it. (I'd much prefer a homemade nut-based cheese substitute.)
Fresh, organic juices are also much appreciated.
Service has always been exceptionally warm and helpful in our experience.
There's parking in the back.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 29, 2011Pros: Great overall café formula, Organic and mostly healthful ingredients, Some of the food is extraordinary
Cons: Not everything merits the prices