Golden Era Vegan Restaurant

Moved here Nov 2014 from O'Farrell St. Long-time established Asian cuisine restaurant. Its menu includes a variety of choices from rice dishes, noodles, and soy meats to hot pots and a variety of beverages and vegan desserts. Bargain veggie lunch specials. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian, Chinese, Take-out

AshleyLorden

Vegan Oasis in Central but Bad Neighborhood

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2014

Update 11/30/2014:
Restaurant has moved to new location on Golden Gate Avenue, still in the Tenderloin neighborhood but now adjacent to Civic Center. It has just opened in the new building yesterday, with a menu almost the same as before and some of the same staff. They are set up to have a lunch buffet but are starting with just the standard menu.

The restaurant decoration and dish plating has gotten a big makeover; it's now quite modern and a bit fancier than before. They also now have a parking arrangement with a garage so parking should be easier. The service was lacking when I went but it was their first day open so hopefully that won't be an issue.

---
Golden Era in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood, like many of the restaurants in the Loving Hut/Supreme Master network, is a calming, peaceful, welcoming spot where I often see people who know each other saying hello (you could say it's one of the local vegan watering holes).

Parking in this area is difficult -- it's near Union Square, so parking garages are expensive, and street parking may take you a number of circles around the block to get. Because this is the Tenderloin, it's also not that secure. However, it is very near main bus lines and a short taxi ride from many places. Although the neighborhood is not good, the risk of anything bad happening to you as you walk to the restaurant is still very very low.

They don't offer delivery, but I've had great success calling in takeout orders 10-15 min before I arrive there to pick something up. They always get my order right and take cards, making it a quick stop.

The menu is a bit more gourmet than many Loving Huts but follows the same general profile -- a mix of Asian flavors done in their own style, with lots of vegetables and faux meats. Some dishes are very healthy, while others are oily and fried -- your choice!

Be aware that the style here is what you'd expect of a "Chinese restaurant"; staff wear jeans, food is served when it's ready, bathrooms aren't fancy. It's not upscale but has everything you need for a great meal.

I have to also recommend the dessert menu, if you can save room they are quite good!

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 09, 2013

Pros: Affordable, All-vegan, Lots of choice
Cons: Sketchy neighborhood
PhilippaPickering
PhilippaPickering

really really good

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

This was a fantastic find. The menu is huge and varied and they have vegan desserts - bonus! My husband who is non-vegan loved the food too.

Pros: great food, varied menu, central location
GlobalVeganist
GlobalVeganist

OMG happiness on a plate!!!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I had the pot stickers and the Pho soup - SO delicious!!! Everything tasted to fresh and was seasoned to perfection. The staff were very friendly and gave great advice on meal choices. The only problem with this place was.... you get full way too soon when you just want to keep on eating!

Pros: yummy, yummy, and did I mention: Yummy!!!

Veganessss in SF
Veganessss in SF

Delicious Vegan Vietnamese Restaurant!

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Excellent vegan Vietnamese restaurant. Favorite dishes: fresh spring rolls, tofu salad, vegetable fu young, wonton vegetable noodle soup (a kid-favorite), pan fried vegetable chowfun, spicy sweet potato curry. Delicious desserts. Highly recommended! Also check out Loving Hut at the Westfield Mall in San Francisco (http://lovinghut.us/sf_westfield/contact.html).

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan, Kid-friendly
Docmartin9
Docmartin9

Don't let the neighborhood discourage you!

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

Too many great dishes to try! Loved the spicy soup.

Blondies
Blondies

Good food, but too much faux meat...

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

I really wanted to love Golden Era and for the most part I did enjoy my experience. However, I felt like they served too much soy/faux meat and found that to be distracting. Personally, I don't really care for or find a need for fake meat and it was in most of their dishes. Despite that though, the food was fresh, the service fast and the price was right. The appetizers were very good and could have made a meal of them in of themselves. I may not have fallen in love with Golden Era, but I did like it a lot and will go back.

Pros: Fast service, All vegan dishes, Good, fresh food
Cons: Faux meat in most dishes, Staff not all that friendly
SoledadMoretti
SoledadMoretti

Great place if you like chinese food

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Served by its owners, very good service. Polite staff. Inexpensive. Plenty of options, and tasty food.

Pros: inexpensive, vegan, great service
LindaSteel

JohnKeith
JohnKeith

Amazing, Simply Amazing

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

What are you going to say about this place that hasn't already been said? Amazing food, great service, knowledgeable staff. Even when you raise the bar because you are in San Francisco, this place exceeds expectations. A must visit for anyone in the Bay area.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Knowledgeable staff
Eyakmek
Eyakmek

fantastic!!

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

One of the best tasting vegan dishes I ever had

PURITZ
PURITZ
  • non-vegetarian

yummmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2012

we ate here twice within the 24 hours we were in San fransisco.

Food was amnazing and portions huge (the soup fed three of us!!!!!)

Mamoo
Mamoo

Oh So Good!! Must Visit!

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

This restaurant was more than we expected. We got there early and were seated right away. The staff was friendly and professional, though not very talkative. Good selection of choices. We started with an order of Drumsticks $5.95 that were one our favorites of the night, We had a side of somewhat bland brown rice with it. My husband got the Golden Era Tasty Treats $10.50. They were very good although a little dried out for our taste, but good nonetheless. I got the Sweet and Sour Savory $7.95 and both of us agreed we will go back again to get them. Mock chicken pieces with red and green pepper chuncks, pineapple and onion chuncks sprinkled with sesame seeds and drizzled with sweet and sour sauce. We put some of the sauce over the rice and it made a big difference in the taste of the rice. Our appetizers came out quickly and my husbands food came soon after. Nothing was said about my food and when I tried to get the wait staff's attention to find out where it was, I couldn't get anyone to our table. Although it was worth the wait, we felt like some mention should have been made about my food taking longer than the rest of our order and maybe even holding my husbands food so we could eat together. As it was we both shared everything. The worst part of the night was neither of us had room for desert. We had to take some of the food with us

Pros: Good prices, excellent food, large serv., Clean seating area, Friendly staff
Cons: Food didn't come out together.
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Stumbled on while touristing...

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

While in San Francisco, my husband and I happened to stumble across Golden Era Vegetarian Restaurant. I had never been there or heard of it, but we were hungry and it was close by. And it turned out to be fantastic! Seriously, a new favorite in San Francisco. Everything we ordered was delicious.

Pros: Delicious food, Downtown, nice interior, Good prices
stormka
stormka

Really impressed with this chain

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

I didn't know that Golden Era was a Supreme Master franchise. As with Loving Hut, I am impressed by their quality. Always. The desserts just blow my mind, mostly because I feel that vegan desserts can be tricky. Add the en masse aspect and my expectations drop. However, their avocado shakes come highly recommended and their faux meat, while a bit disturbing in texture, have a nice flavor. The cherry on the experience is that you're not choking on salt. This speaks volumes to me about their focus on flavor and possibly, health! Win, win.

Chia
Chia

Delicious Asian Vegan Food

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to eat here on a recent San Francisco trip. Here's my Golden Era Vegetarian review.

We walked over from our hotel, a nice walk. For our lunch we ordered a vegetable steamed bun, the pho noodle, and the yum yum noodle.

The pho noodle was very good and tasty. The broth was authentically Vietnamese, and the side plate of fresh basil, mung bean sprout, lemon, and slices of green jalapeno peppers was a nice (standard) accompaniment.

The yum yum noodle is a standard cold vermicelli noodle sprinkled with fried bits of veggies, accompanied by fried eggless rolls, and topped with shredded fresh lettuce, carrots, and cucumber. It came with a savory tangy sauce that you pour over the noodle. Delicious.

I was very happy that we stopped in for lunch. The food is good!

The space is large and the feel is tranquil, has an old school (but interestingly decorated) Chinese restaurant vibe.

I would definitely come back. Recommended.

Pros: hearty portions, good flavors, inexpensive
msvegan
msvegan

Always good

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2011

The food here is always tasty. It is Vietnamese more than Chinese food and a lot of soy. Some of the dishes are better than others. I still prefer the original 'Golden Lotus' restaurant in Oakland although this has more spacious seating, but, it is a bit dark as there are no windows. Members of the'Supreme Master'LOL Suma Ching Hi cult. I try to over look it as their food is so good. At least they dont sell her personal items/used clothes or material at these restaurants.

They have a fairly large selection but I dont think you can ever go wrong with the Wonton Noodle Soup, Lamb Clay Pot, Garlic BeefSalad, Veggie Pork Buns or Wonton Apptzrs.

It is located in the Tenderloin which isn't the best 'hood in SF so I would just tell tourists to be aware of your surroundings if you are walking.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan, Large selection
Cons: Basement setting, Cult
Happy Eats
Happy Eats

Dishes are well balanced with spices

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

This was definitely one of the better vegan Asian-fusion places to which I've been. We had Truly Sea and Okra's Lover, both of which were very unique. Truly Sea was nicely pan-fried with a refreshing garlic sauce on the side. Okra's Lover had a nice lightly spicy Singaporean curry sauce and soy protein cubes. However, I thought it didn't have enough okra to call itself okra lover though. The first two desserts we ordered were not available and ended up have to settle with the third one - the mocha cake. It was decent.

Pros: good combination of spices in dishes, fast service
Cons: dessert menu items not all available
marturey
marturey

We enjoyed it so much we went twice!

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

The food was really delicious. The place was very busy even late on a weeknight. The lemongrass 'chicken' was delicious and probably my favourite dish (although the szechuan 'beef' was good too and spicy). The restaurant is entirely vegan and the staff were attentive without being annoying. The veggies were perfect and not overcooked. For something different try the crepe off the appetizer menu. It comes with a pile (and I mean a pile) of lettuce and mint and parsley. I'd definitely return.

Pros: affordable, location, food
Cons: no liquor
teal_ocean
teal_ocean

To Die For Desserts

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

We ordered lots of choices to try as much as we could. As another reviewer said it was a little ' hit or miss'. But the hit was right on. The crepe, soup, eggplant and desserts were fabulous! A good, cheap, fresh meal.

Pros: Friendly staff, good portions
Cons: Sort of dingy, Tenderloin area sort of smelly
in2insight
in2insight

Not as good...

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2011

I have been to this place once before, and thought it was awesome.
Going back in Jan 2011 I found the food and service both to be bland and lacking.
Next time will go to Loving Hut.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Best Vegan Chinese!!!

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

Generally I'm not a huge fan of vegan Chinese food, but since this place was footsteps from my hotel I decided to give it a shot. I ordered the spicy chicken/potato dish and absolutely loved it! I could not believe how good my meal was. It was well cooked and the fake chicken tasted fantastic. Golden Era is part of the Supreme Master group - based off of my experiences, this group really knows how to make some delicious food! Definitely try this place out if you're near it (as well as the other SM places)!

dfoster
dfoster

fabulous

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2010

Wonderful food, super sweet waitstaff, lovely atmosphere

Guest
Guest

A refreshing alternative

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2009

Amidst all the dizzying restaurant options surrounding Union Square, few of which accommodate vegan choices, Golden Era was a refreshing alternative, offering vegan dishes that even meat-eating folks can enjoy. The portions are large and reasonably priced, and the menu offers a lot of options, from starts, entrees, and deserts (the flan was exquisite). The service was kind and well-informed, and the space was gentle and clean. The pot stickers were deep-fried, which was surprising (since.. aren't they, by name, suppose to be fan-fried until they're crispy on the bottom and stick to the pan?).. and many other choices could have been made in the preparation of the food to make it healthier (be it less oil, soy, or salt).

Pros: Large portions, Great price, Lots of options on the menu
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Veg Viet in the 'Loin

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2009

Decent Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant in the 'Loin. Their largely vegan menu is good except for a few misses. I like the Buddha Bun, the Vegetable Fu Young, and the Vietnamese crepe as far as appetizers go (the Spring Rolls and Pot Stickers too). The Wonton Soup is good, and the Vietnamese Sweet and Sour soup is incredible. The Pho is good, cheap and filling. Most of the entrees are pretty soy heavy, (a good number of them have tofu PLUS two or three types of soymeat) but most are pretty tasty. My favorite is the Eggplant Mushroom. I would recommend AVOIDING: the Tay Ho rolls(appetizer), the Seaweed Soup,the Indian Rice and the Curry Vegetables. The fish isn't very oceany in flavor, but it ranks high with many of the processed soy enthusiasts I know. Oh, and the Shrimp is not vegan, but the Carrot Cake is and it is delicious!

Pros: Good prices, Good food, Friendly service
Cons: A few menu misses, A little too heavy on the soy...., If only they'd use wheat-meat!
sfliberal
sfliberal

One of the Best!

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Golden Era is one of my favorite restaurants. I love the Buddha Bun (Vegetarian Pork Bun), Fresh Veggie Rolls, Pho, Mongolian "Chicken", Lemon "Chicken", Caramelized "Chicken" and Avocado Smoothie. The menu is primarily vegan. The fresh veggie rolls are among the best I've had and the pho is probably the best I have had, filled with yummy noodles, veggie ham, tofu and the fresh mint. It's truly soothing. They also have a lot of animal rights/welfare literature and helping to further our cause.

Pros: Buddha Bun, Veggie Rolls, Primarily Vegan
Mimi710
Mimi710

Lots to choose from and all vegan!

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

This place is all vegan which is awesome since the name leads you to think otherwise. There is lots to choose from on the menu. The first time I went I was with a large group of people so we were able to order (and share) a number of menu items. The vietnamese crepe is amazing. I was a fan of the lemon tofu chicken, but I would recommend ordering it with a side of vegetables so that you don't just end up with a plate of tofu for your meal. A few of our dishes weren't as good so it is a bit hit or miss but if you go with a large group there is something for everyone. They have a lot of seating so it is good for groups.

Pros: selection, price , vietnamese crepe
Cons: some items fail
lafcadiod
lafcadiod

Good veg place - especially if you like fake meat

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2009

As a lifelong vegetarian, I have had many good and bad fake-meat experiences at restaurants. Golden Era is one of the "good" examples and is one of my favorites places in S.F. Lots of choices, featuring fake meat, tofu and vegetable dishes. Very nice service staff and a clean, bright environment (even though it is in the Tenderloin). I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Pros: Good food, reasonable price
Cons: Difficult parking, No dairy options
Delve
Delve

Yummy for your tummy

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2009

I've eaten here several times..although I only get the chance when visiting San Francisco...um obviously. I've always had a good experience here..and tend to end up at this place on Halloween..two times as a matter of fact. It was unusual seeing children come in for trick or treating. I live in a city where that's just not the case. So that kinda added to the excitement..I mean that in a very non-dorky way. Anyway all dishes I've tried have been worth getting again: from the dumplings to the lemon chicken. I wish there was a restaurant like this in Houston.

Pros: good food, trick or treating kids
mezzomom
mezzomom

Delicious, fresh food

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2009

My family and I ate two times at Golden Era while we were visiting San Francisco. It is a close walk from the Hilton Union Square where we were staying. The food was delicious and plentiful for a reasonable price. I had a dish that had tofu and asparagus in it with a garlic sauce - heaven! My husband had one of the hot pot specialities with ginger and that was also great. The blueberry "cheesecake" was fantastic for dessert. The second time we went was on a Saturday night, but there was no wait. Great prices and good service!

Pros: Good value, Variety of choices, All vegan
Cons: Neighborhood
AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Very good

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2009

I really like this place. I got the sauteed basil mushroom, it was really good. Also I was with someone who thought they ate meat. I told them they didn't eat meat and they were shocked. They also really enjoyed it here a lot. They gave lemon water instead of water. Just a hint of lemon, it was really good.

Pros: great food, friendly staff
cbusveg
cbusveg

My favorite vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

I loved this place when I lived in SF and I always make sure to go back when I'm in town. Even my meat-eating husband loves it. I suggest trying the wonton soup!

Pros: Tasty Food, Affordable
VeganFemmeChristine
VeganFemmeChristine

Sweet little Vietnamese place in the Tenderloin

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

I just had lunch here today... it was great. I had the Szechuan Pineapple Beef and my date had the Lettuce Wraps... both of which I would highly recommend. We also had the vegan blueberry cheesecake for dessert. Yum yum.

Pros: Great fake meats, Desserts & Drinks, Affordable
craigmc
craigmc

still great

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2009

i was here a couple of years ago, and i 'm glad to say the place hasn't changed.
still good staff, and a wide selection of dishes. variety of mock/tofu and veg dishes. the food was still very fresh and several specials. maid dishes were between us$7 and us$12. the tofu cheese cake was the business.

Pros: location, staff, foooood!
cooldara
cooldara

Best Place Ever

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

This restaurant is my favorite in the whole world. The only negative thing I can say is there is only one Golden Era! If you go, you must try the Vegetable Foo Yung and Sweet 'n' Sour Chick'n. They are yummy, affordable, generously portioned, and amazing. Their desserts are fabulous, and you can eat a bunch and not feel like a slob. The neighborhood is cleaning up a bit since some buildings have been closed and a new, more upscale saloon has been put on the block. Don't let the Tenderloin scare you off! This gem of a restaurant is fantastic and everything tastes great as leftovers!!!!

Pros: Friendly, Huge Variety, Supreme Master TV
Cons: Closed Tuesdays, Only one location, Only one location
dinakourda
dinakourda

Excellent Desserts

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2009

The restaurant was open, clean, and the decor was nice. Unfortunately, I got a recommendation from the water boy which was lemongrass chicken (at $11 a pop). It was served with slightly steamed broccoli and romaine lettuce that was cold (well, it was cooler than room temperature). There was no sauce so, I wasn't even sure what to do with the extra steamed brown rice I ordered. Geez - I could throw weird stuff together at home - so why go out at all??? I was really disappointed and would have to try it again to be fair. They had mango and sweet sticky rice dessert which was excellent. Not all the desserts were vegan including flan and cheesecake.

Pros: Friendly Service, Large Dining Room, Clean
Cons: Nasty Special, Kinda expensive, Cold broccoli
Denzil Dragon
Denzil Dragon
  • raw

Love this place!

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2009

Three times now I've taken very nervous meat-eater to Golden Era, and all three times they've dragged me back there the next day for seconds!

Pros: friendly staff, huge portions, cheap
Cons: Stairs (not wheelchair-friendly)
Mayapur
Mayapur

Great food

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2008

My husband and I were traveling in SF and we found this place through this website and we were really greatful. The food was really great, we ended up going there twice! If you love soups, hot and falvorful, try #17. Ubelievable. The service was very friendly and the prices also. Have fun, most of the things on the menu look tasty.

Humanicide
Humanicide

Way of the Master

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2008

This place was so good. I had a good time there and did not leave hungry. The setting was very traditional chinese compared to the "Chinese"(vegetarian) ones I've eaten at, so that was a huge plus. The staff didn't seem interested at all.

Pros: Great food, Big portions, Big quiet setting
pupa
pupa

Old San Frnacisco

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2008

This is a great place in the heart of the city! the location was the reason why we tried it, even though an Asian Vegetarian restaurant is getting a bit boring, but this was rather exiting. i loved the spacious dining room and i enjoyed the well restored interior with the high ceiling and wood-carved moldings! Decor is always a big plus, because it adds to the ambiance of the whole dining. The service was fast and attentive and the menu is rather classic, a lot of mock meats and tofu, classic Chinese and Vietnamese dishes but well made and delicious! i loved the wonton soup! nice clean broth with balance and rich vegetable variety! the vietnamese crape was awesome too. Definitely recommended!

Pros: decor, variety, good size portions
Cons: not cheap
condekedar
condekedar

Solid vegan Chinese food

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

The service was friendly here, though the interior is a bit dreary and dark. I found the taste of my dish, the Ro Ti Chicken, to be nothing special---it seemed like your average vegan Chinese dish in a thick soy gravy---but the quality of the ingredients seemed a bit higher (the fake chicken was huge and had good texture). Next time I'll try some different dishes to get a better sense of their range of flavors.

Pros: Service, Ingredients
Cons: Ambience, Indistinct
jamber79
jamber79

nice find

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

I found this place when I was looking for last minute dinner plans. It was good, felt like a traditional Chinese setting. Not the fanciest place, but the prices are inexpensive. The wonton soup was very good. They have a vegan thai iced tea that was delicious. The tofu and vegetable was good but pretty bland, I had to add a lot of soy sauce. Would try again and get a different entree.

Pros: price, extensive menu, can walk in
Cons: didn't look like the cleanest place, some food too plain, not enough detail on menu
Petesternz
Petesternz

Really good Chinese

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2008

Just went there tonight. Really enjoyed the meal. The flavours were exceptional for a Chinese fake-meat meal. Hot and sour soup was delicious, and like the caramelized chicken. Price fair too. If there was a downside, it was exactly what an earlier reviewer listed: they do not "nail" the fake meat. I have had much better beef and chicken then I had here, though every other part of the meal, including the lovely sauces, were delicious.

Pros: Fair prices, big portions
Hallie
Hallie

delicious

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2008

I've been here three times, and always left happy. The sweet and sour chickyn is extremely delicious, but it could pass as a dessert. I've liked just about everything else that I've tried there. Everyone that I've gone with has always had really good things to say about it. The service isn't the fastest, but it's not too bad, and that's usually because they are busy, so what can you really expect? Oh, and try the fresh squeezed orange juice; it's amazingly tasty!

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere
Cons: crummy part of town
AnonymousTasteTester
AnonymousTasteTester

Just okay

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

First, just so you know, I am extremely happy to have another veg restaurant to add to my ever-growing list. However, their food has room for improvement. Some of it is greasy, the fake meats tasted pretty fake (which some might actually prefer to those that really nail the taste of animal), and the service was a bit slow.

Having said that, I loved their coconut water with coconut meat floating in it, and their soup was TO DIE FOR. Highly recommend the veg soup -- you don't just get a cup, you get a pot of it! Very delicious.

Overall, I'm happy they're there, but wish it could be better.

Pros: Great soup, Comfy restaurant, Diners seemed happy
Cons: Food could use improvement, Cupcakes weren't very good, Slowish service
atandt
atandt

pitfall-free chinese cuisine

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2008

ever try to order something vegetarian at a non-veg chinese restaurant only to learn that you've been served pork or another mystery animal? not a problem here! large dining area with traditional decor. great family restaurant.

Pros: worry-free ordering
Cons: basic flavours
baruchadam
baruchadam

Consistently good vegan food

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

A reliable and consistent restaurant that delivers good quality vegan Chinese food. Go for it.

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Era Vegan Restaurant: