Golden Empress Garden

Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese food menu. Offers numerous vegetarian mockmeat dishes. Parking on street. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
rob mafia
rob mafia

for being omnivore-based, it's pretty damn good

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

i don't really go here by choice (would rather go somewhere fully veg), but the few times i met with friends and ate there were actually pretty damn good and left me pleasantly surprised.

the garlic tofu/bok choi (don't know the name of the dish, but i think that's what it was) was pretty great. and i can't say i've had anything that was of similar taste/style.

and twice now, they've made me some sort of really hot/spicy (upon request) soup... i still don't know what it is called, but it was delicious and hit the spot.

iirc, their hot & sour soup on the veg menu wasn't vegan. but after ordering it and then asking for confirmation (my bad, really. should have confirmed it first), they made the special soup to accomodate. and it ruled. also, was the spiciest soup i've had in a looong time.

so i'm stuck in a lose-lose situation... i rarely go, because i'd rather support harmony or etc... but i also feel bad for not going here because the people are truly nice/accomodating, and the food was terrific. and i'm a rather tough critic.

i guess if i happened to be around south st more, i'd go there every once in a while...

prices were good, especially with the large portions and very tasty food. the decor is closer to a "hole in the wall" type chinese restaurant than a sit-in restaurant, but i honestly like that and think it gives it character.

only negative thing i can say about this place is that they do serve meat. haha.

(the ratings are starting to confuse me. i noticed that i couldn't rate some places with a "1," [even when they were deserving of such], but i also can't give this place a 5. weird. i wouldn't give it a 5, anyway... but certainly it's a solid 4/4.5...)

Pros: great food, accomodating, endearing
Cons: meat
findabiggerplace
findabiggerplace

good food, fast delivery

4 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

Golden Empress has been my saviour throughout graduate school. They will take delivery orders after 10pm sometimes and the food arrives fast and hot. This a good place to take non-veg friends as they have a "meat" menu as well. I have never been given meat by accident. Try the Genereal Tso's Chicken, Wonton Soup, and Chinese Pizza.

Pros: FAST delivery
Yoshi
Yoshi

Worth a trip...

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2008

This place has some of the best hot and sour soup I've had, much better than Singapore or New Harmony. I recently tried the wonton soup which was also very good. However, I'm a little suspicious of the broth used for the wonton. Tasted and looked a lot like chicken stock. I ordered it to go, so by time I was eating it it was too late to ask. I wasn't all that impressed with the main dish that I ordered. Portion was huge, but was lacking in the flavor department. I'd say it's worth a trip just for their soup (as long as it actually is veggie).

Pros: Parking is relatively easy, Large portions, Great soup
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

You Must Eat Here!

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2008

This place is awesome! They had a ton of Vegan items and a separate Vegetarian menu! The food is amazing; the staff is very knowledgeable and very friendly! This is a must stop for your Philly visit! [This place gets a 5 from me, but it only allows me to give 4 since it serves meat.]

Pros: Lots of Vegan Choices!, Friendly Staff!

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Empress Garden: