Golden Bengal Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Traditional Indian food restaurant with mostly meat dishes but has 6 vegetarian suitable choices and 2 vegan ones. Vegan appetizers including naan. Owners are happy to change other dishes to omit meat & dairy. Cost is around 10 Euro for a plate, 5 for appetizer. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Non-veg
35 Rue des Etats Generaux (5-minute walk from Palace of Versailles)
Versailles, France 78000

Open Mon-Sun 12pm-close.

First Review by BrittanyJohnson
juanwanderer
juanwanderer

Just one vegan option

1 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

As Odda explains in the previous review, there is only one vegan option: vegetable curry. Rice is indeed done with butter.

This is not a good option, but unfortunately, there is not much in Versailles for a vegan.

Odda
Odda

Not a very good vegan option

1 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

Inspired by the other reviews we went there before going to Versailles one Sunday evening. After some questioning we found out that the rice wa made with butter and the naan was made with milk. According to the waiter there was only one dish they could make vegan. So we ended up eating vegetable curry with three papadums without any rice or naan... Conclusion: ok for vegetarians, but NOT vegan friendly!

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Not for vegans
theoutsider
theoutsider

Good food, not expensive.

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Near Chateau Versailles there aren't many options...
The food is good (very good lentil dahl) and portions are fine.
The staff could be nicer because when we wanted to order just 2 side rice (to 4 people, as I'm used to always get more than I can eat) instead of 4, they said they were closing the kitchen and I wouldn't be able to order more if I wanted (with a certain tone)... I didn't need to, we didn't even eat it all, but I felt that comment was kind of unpleasant.
Apart from that, all good.

Pros: Good food, Good value, location
Cons: not so friendly waiter

BrittanyJohnson
BrittanyJohnson

Vegan eats near Versailles!

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

We were starving when we left our all day tour of the Chateau de Versailles, and though skeptical, popped into an Indian restaurant to ask if they had vegan options. THEY DID!
Only 2 that were right off the menu and vegan, so we ordered one of each, an otder of naan, and veggie samosas. It was all delicious! the best veg. curry I've had in years! the portions were big and price was cheap. Our server was very friendly and after we were eating I asked about other menu items and he said it wouldn't be a problem to omit the meat + dairy from any of the items on the list.
25 Euro for 2 appetizers, and mains - no room for desert!

Clean, calm environment and incredibly convenient after our outing far far away from the cities more popular vegan dinning.

Pros: delicious food, friendly accommodating staff, proximity to Versailles
Cons: no a/c

Dear Owner and Manager of Golden Bengal Restaurant: