GoKula Vegetarian Cafe

Family run veggie cafe. Fully Vegetarian eating place, serving a variety of tasty snacks served with delicious freshly roasted locally Fair Trade Organic coffee provided by The Natural Coffee Company. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, International, Fast food, Take-out, Free Wi Fi
65 Market St (Francis Rd)
Watford, England WD18 0PR
01923-353289

Open Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 11am-5pm.

First Review by JohnnySensible
Miggi
Miggi

At last, veggie food in Watford

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

Whatever you choose for your main course - and there are plenty of vegan choices including wraps, burgers (recommended!), jackets, salads - make sure you leave room for dessert.
We had the hot chocolate and orange fudge cake with vegan ice cream and the espresso tart - both were amazing! The cake was light and spongy with a really fudgy hot sauce and good choc-orange flavour. The tart had a really good sweet pastry case with a rich, creamy chocolate and coffee ganache filling. Luxurious vegan desserts that wouldn't be out of place in the best veggie restaurants.
Reasonable prices and understanding, friendly staff too. Great cafe :-)

Pros: vegan desserts , vegan burgers on the way to the footie!, Did I mention the vegan puds?
Wenda
Wenda

Feed your body and feed your mind!!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

Take it from me, even if you have no other reason to be going there, it's worth the drive to Watford JUST to eat at this place. GoKula even caters for vegans, without having to slice the available choices of menu in half. Such a delight! You can choose from a variety of meals and desserts like the chocolate fudge cake are vegan AND home made. If its spiritual sustenance you are after its here for the taking too - just ask. Great selection of books, cards, incense and pictures for sale and the second hand books they sell are worth a browse!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great atmosphere, Food is excellent
Glenys
Glenys

Regular meeting place for Watford Veg*ns

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

Watford Veg*n Group meet at 2pm on the first Saturday of every month here. The hospitality is great and there's plenty of variety on the menu. I usually have one of the wraps which are delicious. On the last few visits there has been a heavenly chocolate orange vegan cake on the menu. This is a must-try for all vegans and non vegans alike. It's great to have a local veggie place in Watford - much needed. Do support it!

Pros: hospitality, vegan choices, cho-orange cake
Cons: none
VeganJulia
VeganJulia

Awesome!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

Lovely small café, prices more than OK, very friendly staff. Definitely will come back when I'm in the area.

Pros: yummy, cheap
tonyingie
tonyingie

Gokula Vegetarian Cafe

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

what a nice place, 100% veggie. Chris and Mikey are both really helpfull. the food is good home cooked style tucker.
You are not required to take the oath of vgetarianism to eat there. Good range of hot drinks, their cofee is great, Liked the place a lot will go back again, the prices are very good as well
Tony I

Pros: good food, and drinks, friendly people both staff and other cus, Good position adjacent to main town

tidbitsmidgin
tidbitsmidgin

Yummy yummy!

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

A cafe that just gets it right. Really tasty food - be you veggie or not - bags of choice and fantastic value. I particularly recommend the cheesecake!

More than that though, really lovely people with a great philosophy, good music and atmosphere and cheap second hand books, cds and dvds to peruse too! Check it out - you won't regret it!

Mitzipoppins
Mitzipoppins

Great friendly veggie cafe!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

Our family are now regulars at GoKula's acoustic music evenings, a very enjoyable place to meet up with friends and make new ones with it's chilled out atmosphere... and the music is excellent and varied to boot, with many artists playing great original material!
The food is tasty, decent portions, very reasonably priced with a lot of choice, even for vegans (my husband and I are vegan). The hot wraps are my particular favourite along with the soya cappuchinos which are the best I've ever had. The owners Bhajahari, Ros and Mikey are very friendly and welcoming and there are interesting second hand books and CDs available to browse and buy. So happy this delightful cafe has opened near to us!

Pros: friendly staff, vegan options, good value
jessshailes
jessshailes

More than just a vegetarian cafe

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2010

I am vegan and found bags of choices and vegan options even though it only advertises as vegetarian. The atmosphere was very friendly and chilled, I got talking to the owner and some of the customers and really felt it was more than just a place to eat. Highly recommended for anyone wanting good quality cheap food in a nice atmosphere, definitely not just for vegetarians.

Pros: Quality ingredients, Friendly Staff, Central location
storki
storki

great new veggie cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

fab,wholesome food, reasonable prices,chilled vibe.Friendly staff, fresh, organic food, real fairtrade coffee,excellent latte.I can recommend the salad which was beautifully presented ,the falafel(lovely, large portion) and delicious home-made cupcakes.Visit this family run cafe, you will want to return regularly!!

Pros: fresh, organic food, excellent value, friendly staff
Cons: small-willneed an extension soon
Jo Kay
Jo Kay

Breath of Fresh Air

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

I'm sat here in Gokula, at the back of the cafe relaxing in the cosy lounge area, taking advantage of the free Wifi and chilled vibe sipping a herbal tea.
I'd already decided what i would have to eat before arriving and it didn't disappoint. The burger wrap was filling, flavoursome and hot!
When you see a wrap on a menu board it's usually served cold, but here they are grilled lightly, warmed through and really delicious.
I'm gradually working my way through the vegan dishes, of which there are many, and have so far sampled 3 different wraps:falafel/houmous, smoked tofu/veg and todays burger wrap. I also popped in last week for a small Summer salad which was colourful and tasty.
There really is something for everyone on the menu, however hungry you might be: jkt pots, burgers, soup, pizza and more.
This delightful family run business is such a welcome addition to this typical town centre of high street chains.
Watford is the last place you would expect such a lovely little cafe to pop up which is why it is such a breath of fresh air.
I really believe that it will continue to do really well, and with opening times extending to the evenings plus the odd musical night, i'm sure that word will spread and business will boom.
Nothing negative to say, just a pure pleasure.

Pros: lovely staff/atmospher, delicious food/vegan choices, open in the evenings...soon
Cons: NONE, NONE, NONE
Vix
Vix

A Great addition to Hertfordshire

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2010

GoKula has fab food, and friendly staff, I will be a regular.

Cyn7
Cyn7

Lovely vegetarian cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

I had a great time on my first visit to Gokula. The staff were smiley, friendly and helpful. There's a great atmosphere in the cafe which I think is partly due to the wonderful staff, and the nice and relaxing music/decor.

I had the extremely reasonably priced and yummy veggie burger and a lovely smooth latte (which I think may be the best I have ever had!).

I thoroughly recommend Gokula and can't wait to visit again - I wish it was my local! :)

Pros: tasty varied menu, welcoming, cheap!
Cons: none at all
emzy1985
emzy1985

Family visit to GoKula!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

As a member of the North Herts Veg and Vegan group I occasionally recieve emails about new places opening up and this is how I heard about GoKula. I added them on Facebook and had an almost instant response when asking about vegan option. I decided to take my vegan parents and my vegetarian foster sister and we had a great time. The owner recognised me from facebook straightaway! We had some delicious tofu wraps, pannini and veggie burgers all at the most affordable price. The cheesecake we had for desert was also totally lush. The atmospshere was friendly and I will definately be visiting again. The only thing to improve would be more vegan cakes! ;)

Pros: Friendly, Cheap as chips, Tasty
Cons: None, None , None
ash108
ash108

Watfords only veggie cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2010

I had a delightful veggie burger with side salad then a vegan cheesecake with an organic latte to wash it all down, all set in a very relaxed atmosphere.

As for the quality of the food, it had that wholesome home cooked vibe about it - not a mass produced item to be seen.

Prices were better than anywhere else on the high street and I was generally left more stuffed (on veggie produce) as well as richer than if I had gone to any other venue.

I would like to congratulate the proprietors for starting this cafe on a very good footing, I have been won over and you have only just started - I look forward to seeing how it develops - for my part I will be making it my local.

Pros: good portions, affordable, great atmosphere
Cons: none, none, none
yoga
yoga

gokulas veggie cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

Gokula cafe,is the only veggie cafe in Watford,they do a wonderful array of wraps veggie burgers soups panninis samosas -coffees and scumptious eggfree cakes.It is the perfect place to go.Run by Chris and Roz a lovely friendly veggie couple.The delicious cakes are all down to Roz,her chocolate cup cakes are heavenly.You can stay for minutes or hours the atmosphere is tranquil,and child friendly,why not give it a try next time your in watford.Your be glad you did,you wont need a big bank balance to eat here,all the food is really reasonably priced.

Pros: fresh food , tasty, comfortable and friendly
paola286
paola286

Gokula Cafe rocks!

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

At last a veggie cafe in Watford! Friendly, informal atmosphere with a cosy and relaxing area at the back. Lovely selection of fresh home made food and cakes -and it will get even better! A great place for a quick healthy lunch, a leisurely meal with friends or to chill on your own with a good book and coffee. Love it!

Pros: great food, friendly , good value
Cons: none
Grace16
Grace16

Cool At GoKula

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2010

Watford's only Vegetarian Cafe??!! I had to check this out. As a strict vegetarian (bordering on vegan..)I am well aware of the difficulties of finding a place to eat out that has no meat, fish or eggs on the premises. I did not expect much - would it be old-style, lentils and lettuce leaves? Would it be annoyingly trendy? Would it be expensive and "up market"? I was very pleasantly surprised to find it was none of these things. A small,relaxed and welcoming place with nice music, friendly personal service and the best coffee I have had in Watford. The prices are great and the food tasty (try the wraps!) There is also a vegan cheesecake and freshly baked cupcakes. Cookies are freshly baked too and are given out free. There is a cosy back room with sofas and coffee tables, free wi-fi and second-hand books and CDs to browse through. A great experience which I shall be repeating soon!

Pros: Good value, nice and clean, friendly
WorzelGummidge
WorzelGummidge

Wonderful vegetarian cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

The menu is very varied with several vegan options, and the owner said they will soon be expanding it even further! I took a slice of their homemade sponge cake home and my mum gave it rave reviews, so it's omni-approved too.

The decor is very nice and there's a great atmosphere, everyone is so friendly. I love the little room at the back, it's very comfy and modern.

The prices are very reasonable, I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Pros: very friendly staff, varied menu, vegan options
indy
indy

gokula - best veggie cafe this side of london

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

gokula is a great and cheap place to eat! i went last weekend and had their great veggie burgers, topped off by a scrumptious chocolate mousse pie. all veggie, eggfree and home-made and a definite hit with the kids. gokula is very reasonably priced (actually, just plain cheap!). it has a lovely reading and chess area at the back where you can chill with some coffee. the owners are friendly and will go out of their way to please. Try this cafe, you will came back over and over!

Pros: very good value, lovely and tasty food, friendly owners
Cons: none!
efisher91
efisher91

Gorgeous Food & Atmosphere

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

Gokula only opened 4 weeks ago, and is the first vegetarian cafe in Watford. It has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, everyone is friendly and conversational and the food is yummy, home-made and inexpensive. There are plenty of vegan options too.

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, Delicious Food, Inexpensive
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

I haven't visited yet........

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2010

.....but it is a project of my old friend Chris Murphy - who I ran restaurants with in the early 80's - so I am can say with confidence that it is well worth a visit - he is a fine cook.

There will be vegan options.

Expect to be greeted with 'Hare Krishna!".

If George Harrison music is not playing ask them to load up the CD player!

I will delete this after a few actual 'Visitor Reviews' are posted.

Dear Owner and Manager of GoKula Vegetarian Cafe: