Gokul Vegetarian Restaurant...

Large menu featuring mainly Indian and some rice and Indonesian meals. No eggs, garlic, or onion. Large array of mock meats can be used in a number of dishes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, Hare Krishna, Take-out

First Review by SteveAndPeggy

Poor service detracts from meal

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

After checking in to the hotel, my first mission was food! It was hours since breakfast in Bali and it was now dinner time. Gokul was the first vegetarian restaurant we had seen, so we headed straight there in the light rain.

We sat outside and it was difficult to get the attention of staff. Looking at the menu, I was pleased that there were such a large number of dishes from varying countries some using mock meat and others not. Mutton, shrimp and even sardines were some of the mock substitutes on offer. No garlic, onion or eggs are used either.

My partner ordered the Malai kofta and it arrived at the table well before my meal. The dish was large and each of the koftas were strangely decorated with a glacé cherry. While the koftas themselves were apparently tasty and stumbling block was the amount of cream that the curry was drowning in. We estimated around 200mls+ of cream. Apart from diluting the sauce and the huge amount of fat involved, the main problem was the richness. It simply couldn't be finished. Some of the koftas went back to the kitchen with around 95% of the sauce. When the plate was cleared, my partner mentioned that there was too much cream. "Yes, it's a very rich dish" was the response.

I'd ordered the mock mutton paratha. It arrived well after the koftas. There wasn't a huge amount of filling and the paratha itself was quite oily. It was tasty when dipped into the curry sauce or the small amount of rich mutton curry. Ketchup was also added as a condiment, which I'd never seen before. While it was around half the price of the koftas, the serving was a little small and as I was hungry to begin with, I could have eaten more.

Clearing the table took a while. Getting the attention of the staff to get the bill took a little more effort. I think I took the money in as I knew it was going to take a while. Didn't leave a tip, which is a real rarity. (I prided myself on my level of service when I worked on the floor and received pretty good tips but as an Australian, tips are given for great service and are not mandatory.) The staff were obviously nice people, just not that attentive.

I suppose, if you hungrily rush to the first restaurant you see in an area with a plethora of fantastic vegetarian options, this is what will happen and you will pay a bit more. Not a complete disaster but there are better places around Little India.

Pros: Huge menu, Lots of mock meat
Cons: Unattentive service, Oily/fatty dishes

Horrible service & unacceptable staff behaviour!

2 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

Went to this restaurant with my family. It wasnt too late & was about 9:15 PM.

Issue # 1:

Ordered soup & the main course. The main course arrived first. I told the waiter that our soup had not arrived when he said it would get delayed & hence we could start with our main course. I told him thats not the order in which one takes dinner & requested him to take the main course dishes (briyani & parathas) back & bring it after the soup. With great reluctance this guy took it back, after a long wait served the soup & brought back the main course which was as cold as the air-con. Obviously the long wait for the soup had taken its toll & the guy did nt bother to re-heat the main course dishes!

Issue # 2:

We were having dinner when one of the waiters literally threw the bill on our table without even asking if we needed anything else. I decided to finish dinner & then pay up. I was shocked when the waiter came back in about 5 minutes & asked if my cash was inside. He said they needed to close the cash-counter etc etc (it was hardly 10 PM & there were a few more people eating). I paid up even before finishing my meals!

Issue # 3:

The height of all of this was when I complained to the so called manager there. He was not even listening & was busy instructing his kitchen people on a completely different matter!!!

Overall, I find the attitude of the staff way below acceptable standards! I am also in the service industry & if I treat my customers like this, I would become jobless very soon!!

Cons: Poor staff attitude, No customer focus

Decent Indian

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2011

The menu is mostly Indian and the dishes that aren't come with an Indian twist. Mock meat dishes are available as well as vegetable options. A pretty big menu is available and the staff are friendly. Had the mock chicken tikka, a jalfrezi and the hot and sour soup. All very nice and inexpensive.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Comfortable

Extensive Indian Asian Vegetarian Food @ Gukul

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

An Indian Vegetarian Restaurant hidden in Little India - Upper Dickson Road (a side road from Serangoon Road) very near to Komala's Restaurant along the same stretch.

The first piece of good news is that this eatery does not use any onion or garlic, so it is suitable for strict Buddhist Vegetarians or Vegetarian who do not eat onion or garlic.

The second piece of good news is that if you are not a big fan of Indian Vegetarian Cuisine (South or North), the extensive menu offers Asian, Chinese Dishes, Local dishes like Chinese Rojak, Tahu Goreng, Indian Rojak etc all in vegetarian version and a good selection of local desserts like Ice Kacang!

The third piece of good news is - No Service Charge and No GST ... So, it worth going there ... have a reasonable price meal in an Indian Restaurant and at the same time enjoy the Indian Music there.

My first visit there, I ordered Mutton Murtabak @ S$5 (the waiter's recommendation, other variants - Chicken and Sardine) and it was delicious. The spiciness of the mock mutton curry sauce was just nice measure and perfect for me.

With the easy-on-the-wallet prices so I can't really fault too much. Ambience - just a normal Indian restaurant but does attract Tourists and Chinese Customers which I guess are mainly non-vegetarian as many vegetarian are not aware that they do not use garlic and onion in their cooking.

Must Tries: Naan, Gokuk Special Fish Head Curry

Nice human Touch

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2010

There seem to be an upgrade now this restaurant accepts NETS
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: variaties, friendly staff

Guest
Guest

MUST TRY

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

Very helpful staff, because i'm not indian.Really good dum briyani, lentil soup, tandoori roti(yum) and curried veggie. They use sunflower oil!

Pros: One to one service, Very vegan friendly, Super affordable!

Dear Owner and Manager of Gokul Vegetarian Restaurant and Cafe: