CLOSED: Gobo - West Village

NYC vegetarian food restaurant with 2 locations. Lunch dishes moderate from $11-14, dinner mains from $14-21 each dish. Reported closed to HappyCow Sept 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Asian, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out
401 Avenue of the Americas (8th St, West Village Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10014
212-255-3242

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by pswritter

JustaPack
JustaPack

Go for Dinner

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

Love this restaurant for dinner...lunch isn't quite as good. Be sure to try the eggplant stuffed with herbed tofu cheese and a juice. Both delicious treats.

Pros: Delicious Dinner Menu, Juice!, Nice cocktails
Cons: Loud, Expensive, Lunch isn't as good
Astonangel
Astonangel

Excellent nite out

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

Very good choices without resorting to "meat substitutes" to create dishes. Flavourful and satisfying

Pros: Good food, Portions just right
Cons: Small so feels crowded

Lille
Lille

A Delightful Dining Experience

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

We just shared a meal at Gobo restaurant. What a pleasure to sit in a clean, beautifully decorated dining room surrounded by natural woods, plants, and vegetables that come from the soil. The server was superb, but totally relaxed and friendly. All of the menu selections looked delicious. We savored all of the food we ordered. Especially recomment their soup, and hot teas. Very reasonable bill.

Pros: excellent food, ambience, friendly service
Cons: no outdoor dining, no morning hours
conniex721
conniex721

Loud

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

I only got dessert (apple crisp) and bubble tea. I thought the dessert portion was small for the price, but tasty. The tea was good. The restaurant was far too noisy; we couldn't have a conversation.

Cons: Loud, Small Portions
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Pretty good

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2010

My favourite part about Gobo is the menu - HUGE variety of food, and many unique items and combinations I would not have imagined myself.

We had scallion pancakes (kinda bland, but very good with the mango topping it comes with), yummy spinach and soy-cheese deep-fried wontons and a plate of protein nuggests, veggies and brown rice. Everything was good. The atmosphere was a simple/wooden/modern kind of nice (we went for a v-day brunch). I would definitely recommend this place - but mainly to those who are a bit adventurous.

Pros: atmosphere, variety, service
Kell Bell
Kell Bell

Too Hip, Too Hyped

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2009

The decor must have cost them a small fortune. I guess that's why the food is overpriced and the portions are small. Decent vegan Chinese food though, but don't order the spicy asian noodles. It's a watered down, mushy pad thai. This place is more about being SEEN eating vegan and less about exploring the world of vegan cuisine. The General Tso Seitan dish is just a pile of seitan smothered in sauce. Yes, it's tasty, but not in the least innovative or healthy. This place could be so much more if it could get over itself.

Pros: Location - West Village, Decor
Cons: Trying too hard to be vegan
lilmammal
lilmammal

Excellent vegan cuisine

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

Amazing vegan food. We had seitan and soy protein dishes and couldn't even pick a favorite. The sauces were so deliciously rich, the seitan and soy protein nuggets well cooked. It is a chic, modern environment. It was a pricey meal, but the portions were huge. We got an entire second meal out of the leftovers.

Pros: delicious, vegan, location
Cons: expensive, tables very close to each other
brooklynVeg
brooklynVeg

New Owner, New Chef, Much Better Food -

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

Gobo is a little pricey with appetizers going from $6-$10 and main dishes going from $8-$20 but it's fresh and the portions are decent. Some of my favorites are the steamed spinach dumplings, the new england rolls, the vegan cobb salad, the pineapple fried rice, Vietnamese stir fry with tofu rolls and the bean curd stir fry among others.

• carrotandstick carrotandstick

Last time I was there and that was last week, it is still the same chef and still GREAT!

Dena
Dena

Overrated and overpriced

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2008

This restaurant felt to me like it was more about being hip than actually appreciating good food. Gobo seems like the type of restaurant that is vegetarian because it is fashionable rather than because it holds an authentic commitment to non-violence and plant-based eating. Gobo had decent vegetarian food, but it was not a place I would ever feel the need to return. I'd rather eat at any number of great vegetarian/vegan restaurants in New York and spend half as much money as I would at Gobo.

Pros: Has vegetarian food
Cons: Expensive, more about image than food
  • carrotandstick carrotandstick

I don't think gobo is more about being hip than appreciating good food. It appreciates that a good dining experience should include good food, good service and good value. It still holds true to its founding principles of providing great vegan food in a upbeat yet relaxing atmosphere. The total experience is still very important. As for the comment about commitment to non-violence and plant based eating, I couldn't disagree more. Fundamentally, serving vegan food is a compassionate act in addition to all the benefits of a healthier environment. For every meal that we can serve at gobo, its a commitment to non-violence against animals and plant based eating.

mr.pancakes
mr.pancakes

bubble tea

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

what a nice place to eat.sometimes it's a lil loud in there but it was the first place i went to when i was in new york the first time.

i had the scallion pancakes with homemade mango salsa for starters and i think the sizzling soy cutlet platter with black pepper sauce for an entree.

it was really good and i will always remember this first night in new york.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

I agree with the last review

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

nice tie in to Veggie Heaven! Only my most favorite place in the world. Please don't soil the reputation of Protein 2000, though. Gobo is not all that. Definitely seek out another vegan restaurant, but if you're tired and its raining its vegan food...

jillian
jillian

Not bad, but...

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2007

I don't understand why this restaurant is rated so highly. The food is ok, the atmosphere is ok and the service is ok. I ordered their most popular lunch dish (which was basically fried TVP served with greens) and was unimpressed. In fact, if you have ever been to Veggie Heaven in Austin, TX, the dish was identical to their most popular dish, Protein 2000. The juices were excellent, but the desserts were mediocre. At least they were all vegan. I would skip this place in search of something more interesting. There are way better vegan restaurants in the area.

Pros: All vegan desserts, Decent price, Decent food
Cons: Overrated!!!!
Nickysr
Nickysr

Gormet Vegan

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2007

I was blown away by the overall package that is Gobo. The decor is super-stylish, the food wonderfully gormet and the pricing very reasonable. There was a fresh juice bar and a great dessert selection.
All vegan too.

Pros: gormet, stylish, inventive
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Not horrible but definitely overrated + overpriced

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2007

We went to Gobo on Saturday for lunch. We ordered the green tea noodles with broccoli + smoked Beijing-style seitan and also also the tender sliced seitan in ginger marinade with asian kale, squash, brown rice. The green tea noodle dish was good -- but for the $10 price tag, the portion wasn't substantial enough. The sliced seitan dish was disappointing. It was pretty bland and, again, the portion was very small for $11. We were amused by the restaurant's motto of: "Food for the five senses: taste - touch - see - hear - smell." The only thing we could "hear" was the loud juice/smoothie blender (which is right out in the open next to the dining area) grinding away during our meal. It was so noisy that we had a hard time having a normal conversation without shouting a bit. I'm glad that we came at lunchtime when the prices are most reasonable. If we had come at dinner time when the prices go up to $15 and up per dish, we would have been pretty bummed out. Oh, and we finished off our meal with the gingerbread and vanilla ice cream topped with spiced berry compote. The menu was misleading... It wasn't gingerbread... It was a small gingerbread *cookie* topped with vegan frozen ice cream.

Pros: green tea noodle = good
Cons: NOISY, small portions, high prices
chanmeng
chanmeng

Inventive and Delicious

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2006

Excellent vegetarian and vegan food. Try their "Pine Nut Vegetable Medley with Lettuce Wrap" -- comes with a nice wok fragrance.

Pros: Location, Nice portions, Creative cuisine
Cons: Seating can be cramped
Poundie
Poundie

World class

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2006

Along with Hangawai and Candle 79, one of the best restaurants in the city. Everything is healty, delicious; the decor and service are great. It is pricey, though a bit less so at lunch time

Pros: Great food, healthy, great decor
Cons: pricey
pswritter
pswritter

The Best - I loved it!

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2005

The food was delicious - I loved it. Nicely presented (which doesn't always mean that much to me and not as much as the taste of the food). I can't wait to go back there - my only complaint is there isn't a lot of food and I think there should be more for the price.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Unique
Cons: Expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Gobo - West Village: