CLOSED: Gobo - Upper East Side

Sample menu items such as avocado tartare with wasabi lime sauce, seitan medallion in spicy citrus sauce, and creamy corn polenta with roasted maitakee mushroom. Lunch dishes moderate from $11-14, dinner mains from $14-21 each dish. Brunch on Sunday til 4pm. Confirmed closed, Aug 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Asian, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by cassius
zroq12
zroq12

one of the worlds best places

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

i had a big trouble ordering from the huge and impressive menu
i ended up over 150 usd ordering on at least more then 15 items , for two people. i don't care the bill if the food is that good.
if i would had more time in this town i would be here at least every day for a week and try the complete menu.
gobos is a place that deserves to be in the world top 3 vegan.
the classy atmosphere makes it even better .

Pros: excellent vegan menu variety , classy atmosphere
Cons: no cons, pricy, but totally worth the money
saysuan
saysuan

Gobo

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

Delicious vegan food in Manhattan. There was one non-vegan item on the menu which had honey. Seemed strange and we wondered if it was offered for the benefit of non-vegan diners since it could so easily be made vegan with agave nectar. Coming from an area in California where we have few vegan restaurants, this was a real treat.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe
Cons: Expensive
simgi
simgi

delightful experience

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

A relaxed, cosy and very pleasant place with good and friendly service and excellent food. The different courses were served with the right interval, almost the European way of serving dinner. All the dishes were very tasty, but outstanding was the 'natural seitan medallions in sizzling spicy citrus sauce' and the avocado tartare.
The combination of non-pretentious atmosphere and delicious and creative food made this place into a heavenlike refuge from noisy plastic-fantastic New York. Highly recommended.

Pros: creative & tasty dishes, relaxed atmosphere, pleasant service
Cons: desserts were a bit disappointing
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Best Steamed veggies in NYC!

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

When the steamed veggies come out in a bamboo basket you know you are in for a treat! Gobo is a great little healthy spot in the upper east side, which is a treat to grab lunch at after a morning of museums. The steamed veggies and rice are the only oil-free items on the menu and they were amazing with the humble soy sauce and hot sauce. Lotus root, sweet potato, burdock root, etc made it interesting and delicious. Contemporary setting and not very crowded at lunch time.

Pros: steamed veggies, rice
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Hit and miss

3 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

My husband and I went on Christmas day in 2011, it was one of the only vegan restaurants in NY open on Christmas. We got the passion fruit black bubble tea and pan seared vegetable dumplings, the truffled wild mushroom panini with onion fonduta and the grilled soy cutlet with cashew spread, sun dried tomatoes, and onion sandwich. For dessert we got the multi-layered chocolate cake dusted with green tea and coffee.

The bubble tea and the dumplings were yummy, but I wasn't so happy about our entrees. Both of the sandwiches were dry and tasted much more greasy and unhealthy than I expected. The dessert and coffee were delicious.

Parts of the meal were good, but other parts weren't. I would like to try some of their more Asian dishes if I ever went again to see if those are better. Besides the food, the service wasn't very good.

Pros: Open on Xmas, Good coffee
Cons: Bad service, Food is just meh

PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie

Vegetarian Bliss!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

Ahhh, to walk into a restaurant with people you love and know that you will be able to enjoy the meal without having to worry about, "What's on the menu?" That is bliss. I didn't have to scan the menu to find the items with the V = vegetarian before entering to determine if there would be enough for me to justify sitting down. Even with only 2 items on the menu being listed at vegetarian... the rest were VEGAN!

My family ordered and shared the Braised Tofu in Black Bean Sauce over Asian Kale which very clearly resembles Zen Palette's popular Sesame Medallions that are served of large florets of steamed broccoli. Both come with rice but Gobo's is more than just a nutty brown rice with a few ingredients for texture and color as well as being served in a banana leaf cone. The little touches in presentation and flavor shows Gobo's execution of an almost identical dish as superior.

A meal I would frequently order at Zen Palette on Union Square is what Gobo has on their menu as Slow-cooked Malaysian Curry. A mild yellow curry with wheat gluten and root vegetables that have become so acquainted with each other that they are soft, relaxed and a real comfort food.

Other exciting things we tried included the Pine Nut vegetable Medley with Lettuce Wraps, Five Spice Tofu Rolls with Mango Puree, Organic White Bean, Root Vegetable & Pumpkin Soup, and Seitan Skewers with Green Mustard Sauce. Each were presented beautifully and well thought out as taste sensations on their own.

As a Pennsyltucky vegetarian, I was brought up in a time and area where haute Asian cuisine was more along the lines of opening a can of La Choy Fancy Mixed Chinese Vegetables and putting it over a bag of Chow Mein Noodles. Don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of that but it doesn't mean that a visit to Gobo is so far away from my roots that I can't appreciate everything it is. It offers soul satisfying flavor and a vegetarian experience that is one of the best I have ever had. The menu can please a brought range of desires with it's homemade veggie burger sliders to organic king oyster mushrooms in sizzling basil black bean sauce and everything in between. You would have to be a vegetarian curmudgeon not to love this place.

My whole review can be seen here: http://wp.me/p1GQWj-kP

Pros: wide selection, wonderful presentation, perfect flavor pairings
Cons: no wifi
catzie
catzie

frosted veggies

2 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

I ate there once and i am sure that i am not going back. The waiter was kind and helpful sure, but the salad that he recommended, ruby beet, was really , really bad. First of all the veggies looked very unfresh, and the green beans that were laid on top of the salad, were the worst, you could taste that they just came out of the freezer, meaning there was Ice inside! yugh. I usually always finish my meals, especially salads, but this one, was a no no. Also the prices are too high for what you get. I left the restaurant unhappily and with the feeling of being ripped off.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: price , the vegetables are not fresh!
jennifermmupton
jennifermmupton

yummy

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I love this restaurant. It is so cute and I had the best lentil soup with truffle oil ever...I still dream about it, but I haven't seen it on the menu for a while (but I am only in town a few times a year). And I love that they have a gluten free menu! I definitely recommend.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 14, 2010

featherives
featherives

I wish it were vegan, but it's still great!

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

I ordered the butternut squash risotto. It was very tasty and full of flavor. Up until my meal at Gobo I'd been pretty disappointed with service and the food I'd received at one of the top restaurants on the Upper East Side.

I will definitely return to Gobo. I'm looking forward to a second meal to see that I enjoy the experience again!

Pros: service
sandra_y
sandra_y

Best vegetarian restaurant in NYC

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2009

Food is so delicious, even my carnivor friends loved it. Best appetizers: "new england rolls", "rotti canai", "fried spinach and cheese wontons". "scallion pancakes with homemade mango salsa",

Best main courses: , "vietnamese spicy stir-fry rice noodle with bean sprouts ", "eggplant & string beans with basil sauce", "sizzling soy cutlet platter with black pepper sauce", "natural seitan medallion in sizzling spicy citrus sauce"

paypar
paypar

I wanted to eat everything on the menu!

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2009

There were so many choices at Gobo I was at a loss at what to order. We came with many meat eaters and they all enjoyed it as well. The silliest thing we ordered was the 'avocado tartar' was is basically fancy guacamole without tortilla chips. Everything was so tasty and flavorful, I can't wait to go back.

Pros: lots of menu options, tasty food, nice decor
shirley1
shirley1

tasty food

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

I recently visited new york and went to Gobo for dinner .We were a party of * and I was the only vegan the rest were meat eaters.
We all had very tasty meals and would go back to this restaurant . The staff were nice and knowledgeable which is always a plus in a restaurant.

Pros: good food, good portions, nice atmosphere
dinakourda
dinakourda

Delicious!

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

I was here in June with a non-vegan friend who LOVED it. I had to come back and take my mom so she could experience the wonder. I love the dining room, although it's open to the kitchen, it's spacious. The service was excellent.

Pros: Tasty, Beautiful Ambiance, Convenient Area
Cons: A Bit Pricey
kindlizard
kindlizard

it was alright

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2007

Not great. If you want to spend some cash and get an alright meal, go here. If you want wow, keep looking.

cassius
cassius

amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2007

God I love this place. The 3rd ave location has a better ambiance than the west village one, in my opinion. But the food is simply delicious, creative, outstanding at both locations. Heavenly.

Pros: yum, yum, yum

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Gobo - Upper East Side: