Glonojad

Vegetarian bar located in old town Krakow. Serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food, fruit and vegetable smoothies, wine. Free wi-fi and PC station. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Czech, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Plac Matejki 2 (Basztowa)
Krakow, Poland 31-157
012-3461677

Open Mon-Sat 9am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by kasia
Papika
Papika

Great! High quality and value for money!

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

It was a pleasure to find it. Glonojad has a lot of vegetarian and vegan options for good prices. Big and well-prepared portions, tasty desserts and attentive staff. Good fresh salads, pasta (the lasagna was great!), pierogi... You can order also to take away. The local is big and cozy, with nice vibe. In fact, one of our best experiencies in our travel around Poland. We would like to come back again!

Pros: High fresh-food quality, Value for money, Friendly staff
anka_gollas
anka_gollas

nice place but not many GF and VEGAN options

3 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

glonojad aart of a freidly name has a nice interior friendly staff and is busy (mostly young people). ive been there only once and had chilli with tofu and buckwheat with selection of 2 salads. unfortunately i had a very limited choice - vegan and gluten free were just 2 options in menu. the price was good and food fast.

Pros: good value, tasty food, nice place
Cons: not many GF and VEGAN options
Laylah
Laylah

A lovely place to eat

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2014

One of the friendliest vege places I have ever been to. Much more cosy than most bars, it's really nice to linger there over your food or tea (while other bars like that in Cracow are rather canteen-style). It's nicely decorated and they they put some tables outside if the weather is good. Glonojad is situated very close to the Main Train Station, so it's great to pop in before you hit the road ;)

The food is tasty, but servings are rather on the small side.

What's also worth saying, you can get your bike serviced there while you're enjoying your meal ;) Plus wi-fi.

Pros: location, relaxing place
Cons: small servings
Eric_
Eric_

Good

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

Went a couple of times during our visit in the city. Nice to be able to try "local" food without having to worry about hidden animal ingredients. Enough choices. Would come again.

Pros: Wifi, alcohol, friendly staff
pacopaco
pacopaco

OK - if you're hot, exhausted, hungry and new here

3 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

"Glonojad" is a prime example of what is a class of its own in the Polish culinary landscape - the "bar". It is a painfully misleading term for the many young, male Brits visiting Krakow as a setting for their beer tasting (and expectoriating), since the bar is not the place to get your booze, but rather your orders taken, your food fetched and the empty plates returned to.

Of the ca. 20 dishes offered only 2-4 are vegan, 2-3 more can be "veganized" (i.e. cleansed of animal secretions without any replacement or price reduction). Shakes can be made with plant based milks (which is also true for the vegan "Lassi", since they don't have vegan yoghurt - and therefore no vegan Lassi). Smoothies ("smufy" ;) taste great and fruity. The food is the typical "world" fare (burrito, samosa, chili, dumplings), standard salad selection, nothing special. Solid. Closest veggie venue to the train station, and that's almost the only time I go there: when arriving in Krakow.

Pros: Close to the train station, nice smoothies, affordable
Cons: Poor vegan offer and , unspectacular food and interior

AlisonJ_10
AlisonJ_10

Lovely friendly place to eat veggie

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

Having read the reviews on Happy Cow we were delighted that this lovely café was so close to our hotel and we were able to go straight there on our first night in Krakow. A great start to our holiday. Staff were helpful, friendly and spoke English. There is an easy going relaxed atmosphere. Food was tasty and filling with wonderful variety of salads. Loved the vegan chilli with buckwheat and the dumplings. Very affordable. We ended up coming back for another meal the next night and for coffee and cake another time too! It's not too far from the main square and the train station - definitely recommend it!

Pros: friendly staff , menus in English, reasonably priced
ChristianZielinski
ChristianZielinski

By far the best in Krakow!

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

We ate there several times and simply loved it! The food is extremely tasty and cheap (around 10-15 Zloty for a main course) and a lot of dishes are vegan or can be veganised.

Pros: great food, perfect location - near the station, free wifi
Cons: not completely vegan
Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

Central & quick but nothing special

3 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Located just a few minutes from the main station it is within easy reach.
I ate there a vegan curry with tofu, which was ok. You get your meal immediately, without waiting at all. But as in all quick service restaurants the quality cannot be the best. It's still ok, though.

Pros: no waiting, nice ambience
Cons: lukewarm/watery food
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Bad day?

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Having read all the rave reviews, I thought I'd give this busy place a try. I knew not to expect a wide range of vegan dishes, so I chose the dish that I had not yet tried: lentil pierogies - the Glonojad version - with two side salads. I'm not sure what the dumplings were meant to taste like, but I was not impressed at all! Perhaps they were half-cooked, perhaps the filling was over-cooked; I don't know, but the dumplings failed me completely. Thankfully the salads were rather tasty. Overall, though, this sort of meal is so light that it cannot be anything other than a snack.

The cafe is very busy at lunchtime and all the staff speak English. Perhaps I was there on an off day for the chef. I was also disappointed to see that there was no vegan dessert choices.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 11, 2013

Pros: Good atmosphere, trained, English-speaking staff, quick service
Cons: Lentil pierogies, no vegan cakes
beegantravels
beegantravels

Would Recommend

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I ate countless meals here while I stayed in Krakow. It was easy to find and the staff was pretty friendly. I really liked the carrot and raisin salad! Also, the smoothies and iced coffee were really good! I just wish there had been more vegan desserts

Cons: cookies were the only vegan dessert
MattsH
MattsH

Excellent vegetarian

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

We dined there only once and got there by recommendation of our vegan tour guide. Food was served quickly (chili, fava bean curry) and we regret since we did not have time to try more items from the menu, mostly vegetarian. They also had some vegan choices. For dessert we had delicious fresh fruit smoothies that were perfect match with extremely sunny weather in Cracow that time. Price wise it came to 17 euros for dinner for two including coffees, salads, main dishes and smoothies.

Pros: large vegetarian menu, low price, quick service
Cons: crowded
Ophee
Ophee

Just Ok

3 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Not too many options for gluten free. The food was a bit bland and the service wasnt super good. Definitely not the best in town.

Pros: Good location
Cons: Bland, Few gluten free options, Confusing service
BarryMcguire
BarryMcguire

little gem

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2013

our first trip to Cracow was made all the nicer by finding the Glonojad on HappyCow.

we stayed in a hotel about 300m away from it and on arrivig o the first night tired and hungry we headed straight there.

the staff were very friendly and relaxed in a professional way and helped us out with the menu and the way things were done.

the food (chilli and buckwheat, green pasta and lentil perogies) was served up very quickly and came in plentiful supply. wholesome and tasty veggie meals at a very good price.

on our second day and after a visit to auschwitz we were exhausted and needed to eat, again we headed straight for glonojad for more excellent food (enchilladas and burritos this time).

we highly recommend Glonojad for vegetarians (or anyone else) who wants good food at a very reasonable price in Cracow.

Pros: great value, excellent food, extensive menu
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

I stumbled on this place by accident, and I was really glad I did. I wound up going here every day while I was in Krakow. Their coffee is cheap, they have new options every day, free wifi, very friendly employees, warm atmosphere (nice change from the cold Krakow winters).

My favorite is the chili served over rice. Definitely check it out. Prices are quite cheap, also.

Pros: Vegan chili, Friendly staff, All-veg
fletchiekins
fletchiekins

Excellent range of food - will eat here again

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

I ate here in January 2013 and was very glad I did as the food was lovely and there were many options. I would definitely eat here again. Wifi also available here which is a plus. There is no table service as is the case with the other places I have visited in Krakow but the staff seem friendly.

veganjess86
veganjess86

Worth going to but not a lot of vegan options

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

The staff knew right away what was vegan and would could be made vegan when I asked. I had some delicious lentil dumplings along with a slice of carrot cake. Not my favorite place since there are only a few vegan options, but definitely worth checking out if you get sick of Cafe Mylnek or Momo.

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

...

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

they could definitely add more vegan options. but, the staff has been pleasant on every visit, and the food has been good. nothing amazing, but decent. the prices are great!

Pros: price, staff, vibe
Cons: vegan options
Veggie Mama
Veggie Mama

Friendly, fast and filling food

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

Nice folks and the food is clean, 100% vegetarian with a good # of vegan options. Polish style cooking, only meatless. Veggie patties nice with choice of grain and sauce. Others liked their samosas. Great deal for a nice lunch in a friendly atmosphere. Wireless Internet too.

Pros: friendly people, fast service, filling Polish veg food
Cons: not super unique
hack_man
hack_man

The Wonderful Algae Eater

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

Really special place in a fantastic setting right next to the Pomnik Grunwaldzki on Plac Matejki. Excellent choice of mainly Polish influenced food or international food served in a Polish style; potato cakes, sweet and savoury pierogi (dumplings), samosas, curry, salads, lasagne and other pasta dishes. Tyskie beer is available on draught, bottled beers and other cold drinks as well as excellent coffee and other hot drinks are also served. Modern interior, friendly staff and a great place to chill out especially on a sunny afternoon on the outside seating. Vegan choice is OK but could be better. Krakow now has a great complement of vegetarian places and this is a fantastic addition.

Pros: food, staff, service
Cons: vegan choice
Jayjazz
Jayjazz

simple and filling

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

We went here for lunch I just had the somosas with a lovely homemade tomato sauce very filling. My mum had chickpea curry, the chickpeas bit hard but good healthy food definately worth going in a meat filled city

Pros: healthy, cheap, simple
Cons: bit bland
kveg10
kveg10

The place to get vegan pierogies in Krakow

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

A really nice, low-key restaurant with a few vegan dishes and others that can be made vegan. Well worth the visit.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, smoke-free
thingamygig
thingamygig

Scrummy!

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

This place is awesome for vegetarians. The Memebers of Staff speak English & the Menu is also avaliable in English. The staff know which options on the menu are vegan & they have a nice selection of smoothies at rediculously low prices.
When we visited the Glonojad we had just returned from a tour of Auschwitz & Birkenau & were in need of some nourishment after an emotionally draining trip. The tour company & pick up for our tour was next door to the Glonojad, so a really handy location.

Pros: Low Price, Large Variety, English speaking staff
Cons: Portions can be on the small side
  • Veggie Mama Veggie Mama

Wow, i found their portions to be quite large and always feel filled up to the brim! some cakes were lovely for follow up, if you still have room!

kasia
kasia

very nice

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2010

I only popped there for coffee and some sweet applecakes with cream (racuchy),which were really nice. Coffee served in beautiful china. The whole place has quite minimalistic deco, but gorgeous. Not much choice in food, but definitely worth coming. I will surely come back. The name in Polish means that little fish which eats seaweeds!

Dear Owner and Manager of Glonojad: