Serves meat, veg options available. Few locations in Reykjavik. Quick service cafe with a few locations in Iceland. Each day has a rotating option menu with raw, vegan, vegetarian, and a chicken dish. Has raw as well vegan sweets. Choose your items, pay at the counter, then find a seat. Note: entrance is on the street Klapparstigur. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Raw, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
Now Open

Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

First Review by veganjess86
EmmaRodgers
EmmaRodgers

Lovely food

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2016

Ate here 3 times during our stay - there are 3 main dishes each day , usually one raw , one vegan and one soup plus a chicken dish for non veggies.
Food was nice plus there are salads to accompany the main dishes .
There are sweet courses to finish again always a vegan option .

Pros: well located on Main Street , convenient opening times
Cons: limited selection, food not always very hot
vegantearoom
vegantearoom

Easy on the Icelandic Herbs

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2016

I'm not sure what to think about Glo because I can't completely say I enjoyed it.

The staff were friendly (like all Icelanders) and the atmosphere was nice, Nordic and cool.

Unfortunately the food was... strange? I had raw sushi which was not an option I'd usually go for but it was the only vegan thing they had that day apart from salad. I would have preferred something warm in a cold climate but raw food is still trendy so I guess it was my only option. The food tasted okay but it was heavily loaded with something I didn't like (more on this later).

For dessert I got a raw vegan cake (again I would have liked something cooked but oh well) and it was loaded with the same strange thing I didn't recognise. Later when I went to the bathroom and sniffed the soap and deducted that the unusual ingredient was Icelandic herbs. Maybe it's just me and I'm sorry if I bored you because this was not an interesting story. But why? Why put such a risky ingredient in everything you sell?

My mum tried the chicken wrap (boo) and she didn't like hers either because they put mango in it (I know right? Minus the chicken that sounds amazing) which, again, bit of a risky ingredient.

Overall, nice vibe and friendly staff but unfortunately we didn't enjoy our food. In this climate raw food isn't ideal so probably shouldn't be raved about - although I guess it's good for some raw foodies. Maybe we would have had better luck with a different menu but Glo wasn't really for us.

Pros: nice vibe, pretty nordic interior, nice staff
Cons: weird menu, why be raw in this climate?, EASY ON THE ICELANDIC HERBS
Barney Big Ears
Barney Big Ears

Not as impressed as others

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2016

Maybe we came here with too high of expectations but we were not impressed. I agree with others that Glo is one of the best places in Reykjavik for vegans (but only if the vegans eat raw foods and salads). The salad options were mostly cheaper root veggies. Chalk board menus labeled vegan options but staff had to explain which salads wore vegan.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Food was ok

mamba
mamba

Creative food

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2015

At Glo they don't have a permanent menu - so look on the black board what's on offer when you visit. It will always be a raw-vegan-option, another vegan/vegetarian option, a vegan soup, and one dish with chicken. You combine your dish with three choices of their great salad buffet. Salad doesn't mean just greens, or tomatoes or something like that, but salads with quinoa, sweet potato, and so on - very filling and inspiring combinations!
If you take the soup, there's a free refill! But I suggest to try the raw-option, it may sound weird, but everything I tried was amazing!
Prices are fair when considering that Iceland is expensive!
A plus are the opening times: Many of the smaller vegan/vegetarian spots listed on Happy Cow are closed in the evening, Glo is open until 9 PM.
The location is just off Laugavegur, they have a huge sign, so easy to find.
Would love to give Glo 5 stars, but because they also serve chicken, only 4 are allowed.

Pros: amazing food, easy to find, convenient opening times
agp91
agp91

Great spot!

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2015

I stopped by on my last day in Iceland after driving the Ring Road for a week and wasn't disappointed. I had the vegan wrap and it was good, but my wife's vegetarian spinach lasagna was even better. You can do a combo where you get a main course and 3 sides, and I'd recommend that. At under 2000K it's not a bad deal for Iceland, especially since you won't find many super-filling vegetarian meals elsewhere in the country.

Icelandair serves food from Glo on their flights, including vegan and vegetarian salads. I had one on my flight home and it was good--a mixture of three of their sides. As a side-note for vegetarian travelers in Iceland, the Icelandair hotels we stayed at (Klaustur and Herad) had a vegetarian option on the menu.

Pros: great food, good variety, substantial portions
Cons: a bit pricey (like the rest of Iceland)
barringtonmac
barringtonmac

Amazing

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2015

Everything is really tasty. Loads of vegan options. The menu changes daily. Lots of fresh salads. The mains were interesting. We went back loads of times as it was close to our hotel. Its a bit pricy but well worth it, if you are vegan its something you should try once.

High quality food in nice surroundings. Good staff. Would love to go back.

els
els

Raw vegan seaweed and noodle salad

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2015

We ate al Glo yesterday , I ate THE above mentioned salad and iT tasted delicious, unfortunately they change THE menu dayly so I can't come back for iT today

Pros: Vegan clearly labeled at THE menu, English spoken, Big portions, rather cheap to
ChristineMcsyrett
ChristineMcsyrett

Amazing flavours

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2015

This restaurant serves amazing raw vegan food, as well as cooked veg*n options and (sadly) chicken. I visited with my family in February and had a raw lasagna that was full of flavour and absolutely delicious. My husband had a veggie burger. There is a relaxed ambiance and the staff are really pleasant. I think they mostly speak English. You can have unlimited houmous (actually it might be free if my memory serves correctly). My son, who is eight, didn't like Glo much because the food was a little bit sophisticated for him, but I'd still take him back again!

Pros: imaginative, delicious raw vegan options, nice ambiance, friendly staff, unlimited houmous
Cons: options for picky children not great, serves chicken
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Excellent vegan options and big portions

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2015

This is a very popular restaurant, but big enough that there are usually a couple of free tables. They have 4 main dishes to choose from every day, including one that is always raw and vegan, and often a second cooked vegan one. The others are non-vegan. There is also always a vegan soup. You choose a main dish or soup, and then you also get 3 salads/sides from a selection of several that are all vegan (at least they were both times when I was there, and I think they always are). The price is about 2000 isk, which is currently around $15. This is a pretty good price for Iceland for the amount of food you get.

We went here two times for dinner and once for dessert. Both times I ordered the raw dish, and both times I was very happy with my order. Everyone I was with also really enjoyed the food. For dessert I had a raw chocolate raspberry thing that was delicious, and a vegan hot chocolate. They also have a nice selection of fruit sodas. They supposedly sometimes have vegan pavlova for dessert as well, but it wasn't available any of the days I was there, which was disappointing.

Glo is definitely one of the best places in Reykjavik for vegans. One of the reviews says they have a big sign claiming it is a vegetarian restaurant. I don't remember seeing any sign like that, so I think it must be gone. There is a side mentioning that they have vegetarian and raw food, I think, but I don't think it claims that the restaurant is all vegetarian.

Pros: large portions, good opening hours, tasty food
Cons: serves animal products, small selection of main dishes
shamington
shamington

great fast food

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2015

Got an entree and it comes with three side salads. The cole slaw was a little plain but enjoyed a pasta side salad. Had a few vegan treats to pick from that is always nice.

Pros: fast service
jel172
jel172

Good, Clean Vegan Options

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2015

Ate here a couple times and really appreciated the healthy options. Foods are clearly marked as GF or V. You can order a main and then choose 3 sides from multiple options (mainly different salads). I really enjoyed the vegan black bean burger and my wife loved the chili. Good stuff.

Pros: Many healthy vegan options
Cons: Smaller portions
ArildHippie
ArildHippie

Decent, fast

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2015

Food is not great, mostly cold, but decent. Fast and easy.

Solaron
Solaron

Great Raw Food with Vegetarian and Vegan Options

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2015

The raw pizza was especially good. Adding the three salad accompaniments made the meal more than sufficient. The recipes are unique and satisfy the palate whether you are an omnivore or not.

Pros: Raw Food, Great Selection
Cons: Stairs
kim2121
kim2121

Refreshing and Satisfying

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2015

Glo is a great way to end a day of touring in Iceland. Everything I ate at Glo was healthy, delicious, and the portion sizes were generous. When I visited, the vegan options were a veggie wrap, chili, and a nut stew, along with many salads and side options. I actually opted to just get three sides instead of a main dish, as it was cheaper and the sides were what I really wanted to try. Three sides was more than enough food, and I ended the day full and satisfied. Free hummus as a condiment is also a plus!

I'm not sure how much ordering three sides ended up costing me, but two sodas and my meal of three sides hit my credit card at around $13, which seems insanely cheap for vegan food and craft sodas in Iceland.

One note, if you are allergic to nuts, you should probably give this place a pass. One of my meat-eating friends came along and was pretty unhappy that there were only about three things she could eat due to her nut allergy, and none of them were very flavorful. Those of us without nut allergies were all really happy!

Pros: Delicious Food, Reasonable Price, Quick Service
pdxjayhawk
pdxjayhawk

Damn good salads

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2015

I was hesitant to try another raw food restaurant after having a previous bad experience, but Glo changed my mind. ALL of the salads are vegan and you get to choose 3 of them to go with any entree. They have at least one vegan entree a day. The wrap was absolutely delicious. This is one tasty, raw restaurant. It's a must try.

Pros: Many vegan offerings, Healthy, Delicious
Cons: Pricey
Shel Graves
Shel Graves

Reykjavik's version of fast food is veggie-licous

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2015

This is a very nice place to get huge veggie or vegan wraps and an assortment of fantastic looking salads and thick fruit and veggie packed smoothies. It's right on the main street for strolling and window shopping - Laugevegur. This is Iceland's version of fast food with a deli style type counter but with amazing food. Though it has multiple locations with similar food - it's not a typical "fast food chain" it's quick and healthy lushness. Though it looks fancy inside it's not a pricy sit down. It's a place to get quick vegetables in a calming environment. Fast food done right.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 30, 2015

Pros: Located on main strolling street, Quick and healthy, Lots of fresh veggies
arianadventurer
arianadventurer

Eating healthy in the land of fire and Ice

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2014

I love this place. A group of us went there everyday during our visit to ICELAND. I would get a meal to go and put in the refrigerater in our hotel room to take with me for lunch the next day. Most the day tours in Iceland do not include lunch.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 31, 2014

Pros: Great tasting food, Creative menu-changes daily, Take-out available for next day's lunch
Cons: Expensive
KevinMaguire
KevinMaguire

5 Cows!!!!

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

To be honest traveling to Iceland made me fall out of love with Happy Cow. The fact that people would give such terrible reviews to a place like this without thinking for one second that vegetarian/vegan are very foreign concepts to an island such as Iceland. This place is doing it right! If you want to convert people over you have to ease them into it sometimes. I can't stand that I cannot give them a 5 rating just because they serve chicken which is seasoned the same as the vegan dish often, this way people can bring their non-vegan friends and have them try both and see that the vegan dish is just as good if not better, so there is no need to eat the chicken. The food here is great and I highly suggest checking it out for the food and their philosophy. They understand that you don't sway people by punishing them and not including them.

Pros: Great food/staff, They get it.
JenniferJune
JenniferJune

I would give it 5 stars if the app let me

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2014

Great vegan options and knowledgable staff! It's nice that there are options for vegetarians and meat eating friends as well. Great space and delicious food. Went here three times when I was in Reykjavik for work. Even have vegan desserts!!

Pros: vegan desserts, knowledgable staff , plenty of vegan choices
Cons: limited daily menu
Ned Harding
Ned Harding

Great Vegan Options

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

Glo has tons of fresh vegetables in a town where that is hard to find. Excellent vegan dessert choices. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fresh Veggies, Lots Of Vegan Options
Cons: Not All Veggie
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

I liked it here..

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

I can understand why people are annoyed (as I also disagree with saying vegetarian when they serve chicken) but to play devil's advocate, their food is great and healthy. If you are strict (and untrusting) however you may choose not to come here- as on both times we ate here, the server had to 'double check' and ask someone else what was vegan, and on one occasion they were unsure about any of the desserts.

Some raw dishes for those inclined. I had their soup (it was gorgeous) and picked a variety of salads/potatoes from the bar. They have vegan coleslaw which I really enjoyed (made with cashew cream I believe). I can't remember what my partner ate but he raved about it. We didn't feel confident enough to try a dessert (plus watching the money!) so when you go, just be firm and triple check if you are vegan =)

Pros: healthy, good portions
Cons: unsure of what was vegan
arthursgrub
arthursgrub

Lovely food. Take care though as meat is served

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

Very centrally located restaurant on the first floor. Largest of the local veggie spots. The wrap I had was fantastic as were the salad choices and dessert. However TAKE CARE as there was a chicken dish on the menu. The one thing that lets the place down.

Pros: Clean and friendly, Lovely food
Cons: SERVES MEAT
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Vegetarian sign is a lie.

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

For having a HUGE sign outside that says this is the first vegetarian restaurant in Reykjavik, I didn't expect them to serve meat.

The food was decent, but it was hard to overcome the dissatisfaction of the big lie on the wall outside.

Cons: Serves meat at a "vegetarian" restaurant
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Nice downtown restaurant

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

A great restaurant downtown with lots of healthy vegan options. When we were there they had two vegan items on their menu as well as multiple types of salads. They also had a good selection of vegan and raw desserts. Nice, hip atmosphere too.

Pros: Healthy food, Vegan options, Hip atmosphere
Cons: A bit pricey
veganjess86
veganjess86

raw pizza

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

I didn't see any meat on this menu but I only read the daily special board. They had lots of vegan options with all their salads being vegan. This was my favorite place to eat in reykjavik, I had the raw pizza that came with 3 scoops of different salads. For salads I had a raw veggie, quinoa with nuts and a carrot beet root.

Pros: wifi, healthy, location

Dear Owner and Manager of Glo - Laugavegi: