Volunteer-run cafe based in the Warzone Centre with aim to provide affordable food. Buffet style, first come first served, until food is gone. BYOB. The space is the second floor; look on the groundfloor doorway for the sign, "The Centre." Reported to be all-vegan food, Sept 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, Irish, Buffet

WeeMonty
WeeMonty

We are still open!!

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

We are still open just only a Wednesday Evening now at 7pm. Don't be late because when the food is gone, its gone.

You can get you vegan meal for the great price of £3. Sure you couldn't beat that. The style/ theme changes ever week so you'll be in for a surprise.

Check out our vegan desserts for all of you's with a sweet tooth.

Feel free to ask the volunteers for the recipes. Or any questions about Belfast.

Its BYO, music feel free to bring your on music too. There'll be plenty of craic.

People are pretty friendly so just grab a seat and introduce yourself, there no need to be shy.

I am one of the volunteers so I'm bias, but I do love it.

Peace out
Monty

Pros: Delicious, wholesome food, Great Value for Money, Variety, changes ever week
Cons: When the food gone, its gone. Come early
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Does this place even exist?

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

I was in town for literally a few hours and trekked over in the hope of getting some good food but there was no sign of the Giro's cafe once I got to the location given on happy cow. This was at 3pm on a Thursday. Does this place even exist? Disappointing. Either you need to give better information here or at least have something visible on the street.

Cons: Hard to tell whether it exists or not
  • WeeMonty WeeMonty

Hey Christopher

I sorry to hear you went to all that effort and you ended up hungry at the end of that. As it mentioned it is Volunteer Run. Currently the number of days have decreased to only on a Wednesday at 7pm. I have just started back volunteering here. I have sent in an update on the Cafe's opening hours and directions to get there to make it easier. I know the pain of searching for somewhere vegetarian to eat and have been unable to find it or it has shut down. I am going to try and keep up to date on the internet information from now on. Take care

ClaireMcCormick
ClaireMcCormick

An experiance to forget

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

If loud pounding slash metal music is your thing and you are on a budget then Giro's may suit but if not give it a miss.

We had great difficulty finding the place as there was no sign outside.

Up a dingy staircase, we passed through a double doors and into a large room which appeared to double as a music venue.

The only food on offer was a Vegan Fry while my husband went for the soup.

The thumping music, the plastic seats and table, and the T.V.P food made it an experiance to forget.

Pros: Budget
Cons: Hard to Find, Lacklustre Menu

Dtmoggy
Dtmoggy

Hidden gem

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

Giro's is a cool hip and friendly rough and read joint run by some very friendly staff. Quite difficult to find but once in there the experience is organically friendly, the chef was even asking me questions as he was cooking. The food was lovely and the experience was what I would consider 'underground Belfast' like I was eating in a place that was a secret. Priced to make very little profit, highly recommended.

Pros: Staff, Food, Experience.
Uglymug
Uglymug

Wonderful!

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

On holiday in Belfast we stumbled upon this wee place to get out of torrential rain! Had a delicious vegan Fry and bought cakes and potato bread to take away. They were exceptionally good. Can't wait for out next trip to NI.

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely staff, Mostly vegan
LennyLou
LennyLou

Great food, great value and great people!

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

A 4 day stay in Belfast was made complete by finding this little gem. Being vegan, eating out offers very little choice and nutritional fulfillment, and it became clear after doing an internet search, that it was going to be difficult to find dedicated veggie/vegan establishments in the city of Belfast.

We stumbled upon Giro's - not very easily might I add (the only 'sign-posting' was the name sticky-taped onto the inner wall noticed through an open door of a building on little victoria street), and at first judged the fact that it was in a less than top-condition building... they had no menus and had been locked out so had to open up late, however...
The friendliness and dedication of the staff, and the quality of the wonderful, wholesome and value for money food blew me away.
All food was homemade, tasty, with a wide variety of options, and so so incredibly cheap, despite large portion sizes.
This place is run by volunteers - which makes it even more incredible and worthwhile visiting.

Thank you for a lovely and fulfilling visit Giro's! We will be back!

Pros: Brilliant vegan food, amazing value for money, friendlyvolunteers running the place
Cons: restricted opening hours, difficult to find
vegan123
vegan123

Great cheap vegan food

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

Yummy yummy food! Tried this a while ago and keep coming back for more. Everything is vegan with the addition of adding something vegetarian. Each time ive been in-the food is getting better and better. The volunteer staff are lovely, very accommodating and talented chefs!! I would recommend this place to travelers looking for a cheap delicious meal or just to hang out and meet people. Although the room used is a venue hall and the cutlery doesn't match- the food and workers more than make up for it! Plus on Fridays they do a full vegan ulster fry! One of the best things to happen to Belfast in a long time! Couldn't recommend it more!!!!

Pros: FOOD, staff, price
Cons: None!
VeganDruid
VeganDruid

Belfast goes vegan

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

Was so happy that a vegan cafe had finally opened in Belfast so had great expectations. First visit left me a bit indifferent. Was a pity that there were no main courses left when we arrived. Vegan burger was very nice though. Extremely reasonable price wise and volunteer staff were helpful. A few simple things to improve the cafe would be- put a sign up outside (friends couldn't find it); have soya milk and butter available.

Early days for this cafe so will try it again (and go earlier the next time). Hope the cafe goes on to bigger and better things as it is the only one of its kind in NI. We are so far behind the rest of the world.

Pros: Vegan, Staff, Price
Cons: Choice, Cold Room

Dear Owner and Manager of Giro's Cafe: