CLOSED: Gingko Tree

This first vegan restaurant in Sanlitun area caters Chinese style lunch buffet (around 39 rmb), but has also more international a la carte menu. Restaurant is situated in an inner courtyard of Gongti Beilu street, close to various other restaurants like Bookworm, Salsa Caribe and Kro's Nest. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, International
4 Gongti North Road, Beijing Machinery and Electricity Institute Yard, Sanlitun distrcit
Beijing, China 100027

Open Mon-Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by mumpsimus
bluepaper
bluepaper

Tea Ceremony

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

After I found the restaurant I was surprised because I expected worse according to the previous reviews.
But the restaurant is comfy and the owner very obliging.

Every Sunday he invites guests to his cook show.
A tea specialist presents from 3-5 p.m. (also on Sundays) several kinds of tea in a traditional way (I was told it's 40 RMB)

There's a huge table with lots of (organic) vegan snacks in the middle of the restaurant.
The food looks very nice. I recommend dishes which are not too oily, e.g. the dumplings. The portions are not too big, so that you can have main meal and dessert.
I missed some vegetable-creations. The vegetables they offer seem to be just boiled and cut into pieces.

Pros: manifold offer, comfy
Cons: not creative with vegetables
Minni
Minni

Not my favourite

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

I'd really want to like Gingko Tree, since the staff is really nice and I like the atmosphere, but I find their food disappointing.

I hear the lunch is really good, but personally I have just visited Gingko Tree twice in the evenings. On both occasions the food wasn't very good. Maybe they were bad choices from my part, but I have had much better Chinese food with a cheaper price elsewhere.

Update on Oct 2013: Ginkgo tree has renewed their menu, and it's no longer in English. Menu is on a tablet computer and you choose yourself. I've tasted around 5 dishes from the new menu, and they have been alright. But the Western food seems to be all gone. Lunch buffet is still great!

Nice thing that it's vegan though, and there's a small counter downstairs where you can get vegan sausages and other snacks.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 12, 2012

Pros: all vegan, store downstairs, nice staff
Cons: some dishes aren't great
Pitaya
Pitaya

Good new vegan place

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

This restaurant opened already in summer 2011 with name "Loving mum's vegan cuisine", but it closed down almost immediately for some "repair work". It took a long time for them to open again, but now the restaurant is back in business! I tried their lunch buffet which costs 39 yuans. Buffet was very good, with salads and different kinds of warm dishes, mainly Chinese but also some spaghetti etc. There were also capers, olives, croutons etc. to add to your salad.

I was a bit suspicious if everything is really vegan, but when I was leaving the restaurant, restaurant manager or owner, kind Chinese lady came to talk to me and gave me a discount coupon. She told me that everything is really vegan both in lunch buffet and in a la carte -menu: no milk, no eggs, she assured. I didn't see the menu, but she said that it's more "international", not so much Chinese food.

I really hope this first real vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Sanlitun area will survive - and people will find it. It's situated in the far end corner of the restaurant yard behind Bookworm. At least the lunch buffet seems to be really popular among local Chinese crowd.

You can also order their dishes (or take a look at their menu) via Sherpa's Food Delivery Service: http://www.sherpa.com.cn/listMenuItem.shtml?selServiceCharge=15&restaurantID=11003B01&delTag=1

- I wanted to update this review after many visits to the restaurant. This place keeps getting better and better. They are constantly changing their menu and it has turned more and more Chinese, which I think is a good thing, as their Chinese dishes have always been the best ones.

At lunch time you get a coupon worth of 10 yuans if you clear your plate - so the next time when you'll have lunch it will only cost you 29 rmb.

Updated from previous review on Friday March 15, 2013

Pros: Good lunch buffet, Central location , Friendly staff

mumpsimus
mumpsimus

Could eat there everyday

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

I come to this restaurant at least once every week, their food has greatly improved I feel, and this place is easily one of my favorites in Beijing now.

Firstly, they have removed most of the western options from the menu, except their hamburger and sandwiches which was a wise decision I feel, their western food was just not that great and it might have put some people off. Their Chinese food however has continuously improved, even though there are some personal favorites of mine you can't really go wrong with any of their dishes. Staff are really friendly, speak English and are fairly knowledgable. Anyway, all their food is vegan, no MSG and their pricing is fair, so definitely a place to check out. If you work in the area they also deliver lunch boxes for only 28 yuan directly to your office.

Pros: Friendly and knowledgable staff, all vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Gingko Tree: