Serves meat, veg options available. Vegetarian cuisine and fish. Has seitan and tempeh dishes, multi-grain pancakes, tofu reuben, Moroccan seitan napoleon, freshly squeezed juices, and more. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fusion, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Mon-Fri 7:00am-11:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-2:00pm

First Review by maliciouskami
vibes
vibes

COLLEGE TOWN ...worth finding!

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

Gillies is famous here. They do breakfast and lunches. The food is awesome. The service ok, but busy.
Hardest thing is finding it even though it is on college avenue!

LOVE IT wish I lived closer.

Pros: vegan options, vegetarian options, open for breakfast
Cons: location! good/bad, super busy
Eliza13
Eliza13

Excellent restaurant

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

We were driving through Virginia and wanted some healthy food, so we drove the extra distance to Gillies, as it sounded like a nice place. It was a very good experience. The stir fry had lots of vegetable and tempe, and a delicious thai sauce with rice. There were lots of gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan options. We also had a clam chowder, that had lots of flavor and also vegetables.
The only cons were there was music playing over the speakers, and the servers were not the friendliest, but were efficient. Limited outside seating.

Pros: Great food, healthy, large selection
Cons: servers not the friendliest, a little noisy
soopernish
soopernish

A good meal with entertainment

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

Good, hearty food with a number of vegan options, and there's typically a vegan daily special, soup, and dessert. Huge portions. They don't usually have organic food, but they do serve food from local farms from time to time.

There is often live entertainment at night, and there is some outdoor seating available. The atmosphere is friendly. There is a reasonably good variety of beers and wines.

Gillie's is known for its brunch, which is served Saturdays and Sundays (and some holidays) from 8 AM - 2 PM. Be forewarned: Gillie's has a tiny kitchen, and when it is busy in the restaurant, food can take awhile to come out.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 06, 2011

Pros: Excellent value, Daily vegan & vegetarian specials, Fun atmosphere
Cons: Long wait and chaos when busy

HealthNut27
HealthNut27
  • raw

Decent, but not the best

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

I took my husband here last year and he ordered one thing but after waiting (what seemed forever) they brought a different dish. Even though vegan friendly- eggs and dairy are in most of the menu items. It serves its purpose in a college town but having been to veg restaurants around the world, not the best service or food.

Pros: Veg-friendly
Cons: Poor service, Lacto-ovo based menu
MBecker
MBecker

Sub-par Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

I have eaten at Gillies twice, about 12 months apart, while dropping my brother off in Blacksburg for college, and both times have been excited about the idea of eating at 'THE vegetarian restaurant in town!', and both times have been utterly disappointed.

The first time, I noticed a lack of vegan options (including no desserts), but finally made my choice (a vegetable and peanut saute dish) and received a dish that was passable in quality and creativity, but which I definitely could have made myself (and better) at home.

The next time, I was fuming by the time I left. I know I'm a bit sensitive, but as a long-time vegan, when I go to a vegetarian restaurant, I EXPECT to be catered to. This is how vegetarian restaurants should work. Except, we happened to go to the place on a Saturday, which meant that only 'brunch' food was available until later in the day. Brunch food means, I found out, eggs. Eggs, cheese, toast, biscuits, and non-vegan pancakes, waffles and french toast. A special vegetarian brunch menu, indeed. Little icons noted that all egg dishes could be veganised by subbing in tofu for $1 more. Literally, the only vegan option available, on the entire menu, was tofu--either with potatoes and toast, in a non-vegan (honey and dairy-based) wrap, or as 'scrambled tofu'. With mounting frustration, I ordered the scrambled tofu, which turned out to be hard, fried cubes of tofu (such as you might have with *any* vegetarian dish), covered in barbecue sauce. This does not qualify as 'scrambled tofu' in my book.

On top of my irritation with the heavily ovo-lacto bias of this vegetarian restaurant, I was also again impressed by the considerable lack of any imagination when preparing the menu or items. There was literally NO ingenuity required in their brunch selection at all; you could probably do better at an IHOP even (!!!)--and still end up with the same high fructose corn syrup 'jellies' as your table's centerpiece. Gillies adds nothing special to these options. Why it's important that it's a 'vegetarian' brunch is beyond me, since pancakes &c are generally vegetarian.

Bottom line: if you want decent ovo-lacto vegetarian food in Blacksburg and aren't willing to venture on Virginia Tech's campus (where it apparently has award-winning food), come on over. If you're vegan or an amateur or aspiring chef yourself, I wouldn't get yourself too excited or your hopes too far up.

Pros: Generous portions, Friendly staff, Decent prices (~$7 brunch)
Cons: Not very vegan-friendly, Unimaginative menu
vttrish31
vttrish31

Best Veggie Place!

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

I've been to Gillie's numerous times - they have a great variety of meals - and have even added some seafood (for those with "skeptical" friends who aren't vegetarians).

Katie Shamp
Katie Shamp

so good!

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

It sounds like this place is mostly known for breakfast, so I almost didn't even check it out for dinner, but I'm really glad I did! 80% of the menu can be veganized (and apparently without losing the essential elements). And it was a pretty elevated-but-casual menu for a breakfast place. Had an almond arugala salad with cilantro vinaigrette, a moroccan napoleon and an almond-cranberry cookie to go. They've got a decent organic wine selection too.

audrey
audrey

not bad

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2008

It was an all around pretty good meal. We had a breakfast there on a Saturday. We got a table right away, but the service was slow. Everyone liked their food. Portions are big (I shoulda gone with two pancakes instead of the standard three).

Pros: good food, friendly, close to campus
Cons: slow service, big portions
emeraldeyes180
emeraldeyes180

Nice Selection ...

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

Travelling through VA and decieded to stop in Blacksburg (College Town) and pull out Happy Cow :) We were hoping for the best! Ended up at Gillies - I ordered the "Chappies Choice" (Scrambled eggs and white cheddar topped home fries) and my boyfriend ordered the Tofu Scamble (BBQ version here ...)

Service was okay, little slow - food was good and portions were plentiful. We both bad 1/2 of our plates left and left very full and satisfied. Although we came during breakfast there was a solid selection of choices. Many options to choose from.

Pros: nice atsmosphere, large menu, large portions
Cons: slower service
maliciouskami
maliciouskami

Vegan options--beware

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2007

Service notoriously sucks here. Also, I don't know what is so "vegetarian" about seafood. I'm pretty sure every biology 101 teaches that fish are living beings that feel pain.

Lots of items can be made vegan on the menu. Beware, though. I asked for a soycheese pizza and got real cheese--with no apology or sympathy in the least for such an offensive and dangerous mistake. Who needs a knockoff of a cruel product anyway, I guess.

It's nice to have a vegetarian restaurant in town that brings the diet and lifestyle to the mainstream, but I think they could be a little more welcoming and understanding to real vegetarians and vegans. Also, confusing the public with seafood and promoting fish, shellfish, etc as objects that apparently are no different than vegetables--is just plain irresponsible.

Pros: vegan options, great location, large and changing menu
Cons: bad staff, insensitive to vegan requirements, promoting seafood as vegetarian
  • dharmabum dharmabum

I think the fish is a healthy meat alternative for people who aren't vegetarian or vegan. People who usually may not eat at a vegetarian restaurant can feel more comfortable at Gillie's..and maybe give vegetarianism a try.
    Stop being such a little [censored], you're making the rest of us look bad.

• areyouin areyouin

don't worry, they make my order not vegan all the time. i'm sticking to more than coffee

Dear Owner and Manager of Gillie's: