The George Street Co-op is a natural foods store owned and run by its members, and not for profit. They sell vegetarian foods that have the least amount of processing, additives and toxins, with the greatest nutritional value possible. Anyone may shop at the Co-op and choose from a good selection of fresh organic produce, body care and earth-friendly products, bulk foods, vitamins, herbs, gifts and more. Upstairs is an all veggie cafe and juice bar. more-less
89 Morris St (Livingston Ave)
New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901
732-247-8280

First Review by AlainWinthrope
RissaBelle
RissaBelle

good food, great atmosphere

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

Lots of vegan products - most from local producers - and a cute cafe upstairs that makes AMAZING juices. I give it four stars simply because I wasn't impressed with the vegan sushi. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area!

dnmp
dnmp

Consistently Improving Itself...

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

UPDATED: Over the last year and a half or so I have noticed great improvement in the co-op. Signage has improved and they also updated their Bulk Spices area making the area much easier and faster to use. The new management/direction is a positive which is why I have given the co-op 3 cows now. If improvements improve I will move this up again.

ORIGINAL REVIEW (2 cows): I love co-ops as a concept but I have to say this is the least organized co-op I have encountered. Basically, figure out what items are worth it for you to get here and get those items here.

On a super positive note, they carry these carob dipped rice cakes in peanut butter and mint that are AMAZING! Try these!!!

That being said, this is also a worthy choice if you wish to pick up bulk items. I stock up on rolled oats and organic spices at half to a fourth of the cost of me buying these items individually in a regular store. Just bring your own container and have the staff measure & tare the container so that you can refill it each time you come (make sure you ask them to write the weight on the container to save you time).

This is a small location and from my understanding, I ended my membership at the end of last year, they are in a management transition phase and are working on making the store operate better. These changes are not yet visible to me as a sporadic shopper though.

Some of the reasons why I ended my membership were disorganization and lack of stock of the few items I could only get at this location. I also found that some of the items I thought I could only get here can be brought at Anna's Health Food Store in Highland Park across the river.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 29, 2011

Pros: bulk items, vegan foods for sale, soups are great
Cons: low stock, unorganized
fidgit
fidgit

Our family loves the co-op!

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

We originally looked into the co-op because I wanted to surround myself with people interested in health and wellness.....we could not be happier in choosing to join the George Street Co-op!! Joining gets you discounts on the products you buy...sometimes as much as 15-25%! There is always a committee you can join for free to discuss whatever you are passionate about, and of course being in-the-know about the coolest, most delicious, healthiest products out there! I give this place 2 green-thumbs up, and I'm honored to be a part of it.

bsg
bsg

George Street Co-op

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2011

It's wonderful to belong to a co-op, knowing that I have ownership and a stake in the success and running of this wonderful health food store. I have connected with warm and caring people during my years as a member, while enjoying the opportunity to purchase healthy, organic, and vitamin-rich foods. The Co-op is an inviting place to shop, chat, and meet like-minded folks. You don't have to be a Co-op member to shop here. I recommend this establishment to others - members and non-members alike.

Pros: healthy food, organic produce, green store
Cons: it's rather small, some items are pricey
Colby
Colby
  • herbivore

Co-ops Are Great!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

I live up in Basking Ridge, so unfortunately, I only get to shop here once in a while. George Street Co-op has a nice selection of organic produce and bulk items. If I lived closer, I'd absolutely be a member of the co-op. The staff is very helpful as well.

Pros: nice assortment, organic and eco freindly operation
Cons: a bit expensive if you're not a member
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

Forget the trendy chain stores, go here!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

George Street Co-Op is the New Brunswick area's source for vegan and vegetarian food. Not everything is vegetarian mostly the vitamins and the staff themselves are mostly un-informed non-vegans. But at least you don't have to support a corporate chain and smell the stench of death while you shop!

Pros: local co-op, good selection
Cons: can be pricey, non-vegetarian items, non-vegan staff
AlainWinthrope
AlainWinthrope

Recommend!

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2010

I'm an RU student and stumbled on this store when I was walking in the area. Really great selection of products. Here is just a brief list of some of the notable stuff I found there:

Bragg's Liquid Aminos, vital wheat gluten, seitan, Earth Balance butter (at a steep price), whole coffee beans, loose leaf tea, egg replacer, agave nectar, organic kiwi, collards, cucumbers and some other fresh produce. Despite being incredibly small, the store carries a dizzying amount of esoteric products that I can only begin to list here.

The employees are also pretty helpful and friendly while still being laid back. They do accept RUexpress, but the order needs to be close to or over $10. Apparently there's a cafe on the second floor as well, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Dear Owner and Manager of George Street Co-op: