Genmai Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Fish is labeled. Mostly vegetarian food cafe on the 2nd floor, upstairs from its store, Genki Shop. Offers different types of rice balls, plus waffles, pudding, cake, drinks (has soy). Seats 36. Note that the little Hi-Genki supplements provided with most meals contain calcium derived from shellfish. Easy to find from Hommachi, just go 1 block east of the station and turn south down the shopping street. Address is 大阪府大阪市中央区南久南宝町3-6-9. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by lemurcat
al30sh
al30sh

Mellow vibe and good set menu

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We enjoyed this cafe for lunch. Great vegan options with a couple very clearly labelled fish dishes. Really good minestrone soup and rice balls. Try the hot soy ginger drink - so delicious. Very relaxed and low key vibe.

Pros: Low key vibe, Ginger tea!!, Simple and good menu
Cons: Not a lot of english spoken
SP
SP

yummy brown rice!

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

I came across it by chance and went in for lunch one day. I had the Japanese curry with brown rice. I happened to be in the area again the next day, and because I liked it enough I went back for another lunch. This time I had some soup, a brown rice ball (triangle) with crushed sesame seeds on the side of it, and tea. They have several varieties of the brown rice triangles. I then also got two more brown rice triangles to go!

They do have an English menu, so if they don't offer it, ask for it. Items containing fish are marked accordingly.

From Honmachi Stn take Exit 12. Once at street level go right to the covered shopping arcade, and again right into the arcade. It's about a block or so down the arcade, on the right, at an intersection.

LindaLoveletmego
LindaLoveletmego

nice and yummy

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

We went to Genmai Cafe to have lunch. The location is perfect, directly on Shinsaibashisuji (the number 1 shopping street). They had a menu in English but the girl who was working on the counter didn't speak a word English (I speak (not fluently) Japanese, so it was okay).
I had the curry (japanese curry of course, not to confuse with indian curry!) and I got soup with it. both was delicious and filling!
everything is organic and the portion was totally fine, too! the atmosphere was nice too :)

Pros: yummy food, portions okay, English menu
Cons: not many options
lemurcat
lemurcat

Stop by if you're in the area

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

But I wouldn't make a special trip. The food that contains fish is labeled on the English menu but not the Japanese menu. Avoid the supplement packs because they contain calcium from shellfish. Various types of rice balls, curry, cake, pudding.

Pros: nice atmosphere, easy to find, plenty of vegan options
Cons: supplements contain shellfish, Japanese menu not labeled for fish

Dear Owner and Manager of Genmai Cafe: