Vegetarian restaurant located in the town centre. Has a calm atmosphere with music at an unobtrusive level. Try the spiced tofu dish with courgettes and squash, served with a salad or the vegan mango or chocolate mousse. Evening meals only. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Portugese, Take-out
Travessa Da Mota, 10 (Rua Santo Antonio)
Faro, Portugal

• Cash only

First Review by Jenny G
MMCM
MMCM

lifeboat for veggies in city

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

Good "as much as you like" buffet, nice staff, good quality, mostly vegan.

Pros: good food, nice staff, central
Cons: lunch only
food4ricky
food4ricky

A buffet with a variety of choices

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

In Faro there's not really much choice of vegetarian dishes, stand alone vegetarian restaurants... Fortunately we found this one in the city centre. For a more than reasonable price, we got a soup, main course and side salad in buffet form. I recommend the fresh homemade lemonade. If you have a spot left (which I mostly didn't have), the deserts are tasty, but a little bit too much. The restaurant owner was a really nice man and took the time to explain us - in English - what all the dishes were.

Pros: healthy, tasty, fresh lemonade, you can taste everything (buffet)
Cons: only open for lunch
Veggie Smiles
Veggie Smiles

Hearty Good Value Veggie Dishes

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

We visited this small cafe twice on our recent stay in Portugal. The food was a buffet of two dishes with rice and you could choose a half portion of each if you wanted. The food was filling, healthy and very tasty on our first visit. It is of rustic style and they remember to include a good protein with each which I find can be omitted sometimes but is so important. We tried one of the desserts (banana and cinnamon soya dessert I think). It was really tasty. I could be mistaken but they seem to do only simple soya desserts in different flavours. We visited again the following week. Disappointingly, this time our welcome by one of the managers (or owners) was not as friendly for some unknown reason (we did tip previously!) It was very busy so maybe she was just stressed! The other woman was as lovely as the first time. While I really enjoyed the dishes on offer on this day also, my fiancé left most of his as he found it was lacking in flavour (he likes spicier, stronger flavours). He said his beetroot smoothie was delicious. We thought Gengibre E Canela offered excellent value and would go back although we'd like to be sure of a nice greeting and we would then give a 4 rating!

Pros: Filling tasty food, Great value
Cons: Small so can be busy, Slightly frosty reception second visit!

elrujo
elrujo

FARO'S ONLY REAL VEG PLACE

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

this is the only place in town for good veg food

they are the only strictly veg place around the area in algarve

the buffet is very tasty

Pros: warm people, tasty food, creative interior design
Cons: small variety, not many vegan dessert options
robinm
robinm

Really Nice Food And Service

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

Really nice buffet, and fruit juices, nice staff very helpfull and quite cheap

Pros: Buffet, Original
Cons: Closed For Dinner
Grazer
Grazer

A lovely place

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

I loved this little gem in the south.

A great blend of excellent food, lovely atmosphere and an interesting host.

Pros: Great simple food, Lovely ambience, very chilled out
Cons: only lunch!!
Phoebealexandra
Phoebealexandra

The highlight of my trip

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

As a break from my trip to Lisbon, I decided to hop n the train and head down to Faro. And while the city was much more sleepy and desolate than I had hoped, going to this place on Saturday for lunch was great. They did not have a buffet the day that I but rather a plate of the day. The owner came out with a lovely plate of carrot, lettuce, and beet salads with a delicious miso dressing, lasagna, tofu and carrot stew, and se basmati rice. Overall, everything was delicious, and the plate cost only 6€! I was pleasantly surprised.

Pros: Service, Price, Food
Cons: No Buffet on Saturday
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Friendly staff, good buffet

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

The staff here are quite friendly and speak decent English.

The lunch is buffet-style, and they will tell you what is/isn't vegan (with a "this has just a *little* bit of milk" type explanation...). This was our "go-to" spot in Faro, and it was good all 3 days.

Pros: All-veg, Knowledgeable of veganism
poohfriends
poohfriends

Nice restaurant

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

A nice small restaurant. We came just a few minutes before closing time, but it was no problem. We could still eat here. We had soup as a starter, a nice main dish (all vegan) with seitan stew and as a dessert there was just one vegan mousse (apple/cinnamon/ginger) left. It was really nice. The soup was €2, main dish €6 and dessert €2,50. Juice was also €2,50.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Tara HD
Tara HD

Decent buffet

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

I'm not a fan of buffets (since the food is not freshly prepared and often overcooked) but this one was quite good.
The whole buffet was vegan. There was a soup, 3 main dishes, rice, a broccoli sauce and salad. I liked the ratatouille best and the broccoli sauce was delicious, my partner prefered the pasta. The salad was a little uninspiring. The price was EUR 10,- per person.
We came early, so the food was still fresh tough partly lukewarm (because we were the first guests and took food from the top, it was better after stirring the food a little).
Unfortunately, they had no vegan dessert except for fruits and no coffee with caffein.

Dsty
Dsty

Good find

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

Really enjoyed this place we discovered whilst walking through the town. The place has a wholesome country feel, we only tried the lunch time buffet which was really good - they have different choices every day, so you can go back a few times. Friendly staff and relaxing music. It seems to be very vegan friendly - I'm not vegan myself but it was really great to not have yet another cheese based vege option!

Pros: Good hot and filling food, Buffet, good price
Cons: No coffee!, Opening times are vague
Monia
Monia

Excellent food and nice location

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

Very nice restaurant with friendly staff and excellent food. There is a buffet with soup, main course (choose between 2 to 3 dishes) and a nice selection of salads. Deserts are also delicious, ask for the day specials.
The restaurant is located in Faro's downtown and has a few tables outside. It gets a bit busy during lunchtime, but as we arrived early (around 12:30 pm) we managed to get a table outside.

Pros: Food, Price
Cons: No cards accepted
vegrachel
vegrachel

Excellent!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2011

I have reviewed this restaurant on my blog
Really good tasty food!

hack_man
hack_man

Not Saturdays Perhaps

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2010

We went on a Saturday and only had the choice of a set 3 course meal (soup, main & pudding - all can be vegan if required). The food could have been warmer but it was OK. Soup was very good, but the main course not the tastiest I've ever had. It was a mixed bean and tofu casserole served with a salad. Desert was a delicious vegan coconut mousse. Very pleasant interior, friendly staff, I'd like to go back for the midweek lunchtime buffets which I am sure will be superb. Shame we caught them on a day with limited choice.

Pros: location, staff
Cons: limited choice on Saturday
tumbleweedy
tumbleweedy

:o)

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2009

Really good tasty and healthy food. After struggling through France and Belgium it's the best i've tried in continental europe. Buffet at lunch is great and was all vegan when we visited.

We also went for food on a quiet Saturday lunchtime and despite having no vegan options they were happy to prepare something special for us.

It stays open throughout the winter which is important to know for this touristy region but i think with different opening times (something we struggled to understand not knowing the language and coming from 24/7 Britain).

Pros: good food, healthy, vegan friendly
Jenny G
Jenny G

Nice veggie restaurant

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

I visited this place for the first time this week. It's only small, seating 26 inside (with a few tables outside), and a correspondingly small buffet selection, yet this for me is one of the advantages. It's cosy and friendly, in a land of soulless shopping centres.
Almost everything was vegan: the tofu with mixed veg and seaweed was crunchy and had a pleasant flavour, and was accompanied by couscous or rice noodles (slightly overcooked, but not unpleasant). The other dish was some kind of pastry roll with cheese in it, so I didn't try that, but I did sample the tomato sauce that went with it, and it was good. Then there was a selection of steamed veg (broccoli, cabbage and carrots) and some salads.
The drinks menu had a selection of freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juices which you could combine in just about any way you wanted, as well as the usual soft drinks.
Be warned, it gets full fast at lunchtimes, so try and get there early.

Pros: tasty food, healthy selection, friendly atmosphere
Cons: hard to get a table, no vegan desserts!

Dear Owner and Manager of Gengibre E Canela: