Genesis in the Hills

Located in the Perth hills, near Araluen Botanic Park. Serves seasonal vegetarian food with changing specials plus soups, veggieburger, open sandwich with grilled vegetable, house platter, quinoa salad, coffee, tea, and cakes. Almond, rice, and soy milk available for hot drinks and smoothies. Open for breakfast Fri-Sun; morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea Thur-Sun. Hosts monthly art exhibitions and frequent events. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Australian, Western, Mediterranean, BYOB

First Review by daftdog
Bobbie47
Bobbie47

A pleasant experience

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

Genesis is in a lovely location in the hills of Rolystone - a great place to stop off on your way to Araluen's tulip festival. There is jazz on Saturdays, a music school, and art on display.

The vegetarian soups, salads, and mains are very tasty. The cakes and coffee are "to die for".

When they're busy (which is often), expect to wait a while to be served - but why be in a hurry - enjoy!

Pros: Tasty food., Quiet surroundings., Good parking.
Cons: Slow service.
froshsta
froshsta

Superb quality

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

My wife and I (both veg) took my parents and grandparents there (none of them veg). It's often a little concerning taking non-veg family members to veg restaurants, but a good time was had by all.

The setting in the hills is beautiful. All the food is natural and healthy, everything made on site, and I think most of it grown on site too.
All the food we ordered was excellent. Be sure to leave room for dessert. They have lots of interesting very interesting cakes - all looked delicious (and what we ordered tasted delicious also!) - too bad we couldn't try them all :-)

Pros: Delicious food, Healthy and natural food, Very pleasant hillside setting
littleums
littleums

the only place I will take omnivores in Perth

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

I love this restaurant, and it's my go-to place when I am looking for a special meal out or a relaxing day in the hills. Their food is amazing, and it always has you coming back for more because their specials change daily. The staff are sweet, attentive, and they ask the right questions rather than bringing you something that's not vegan when you order other things vegan. I love that the owners work there and have a presence, and they always have a smile on their face. The specials are almost inevitably worth getting, though be prepared for it to not be on stock on occasion...it doesn't happen habitually, but it does from time to time. The veggie burger is always on the menu and is always amazing, the olive oil they use is delicious and makes their salads delicious, and their bread is hearty and delicious (I believe it's from New Norcia or some other such bakery). They have gluten free options, and most menu items are vegan or can be made so. They have regular jazz, a monthly vegan day and very fresh seasonal produce. I highly recommend this not only to vegans and vegetarians, but to omnivores. It's also the only higher-end place (though the prices are quite reasonable for Perth) that is vegetarian that's worth bringing omnivore friends and family to. Hands down - this is the place to take people if you want them to experience vegetarian food in Perth. Stop by the Araluen gardens while you're out there! Their coffee is also pretty damn good, as are their desserts. I am not a big sweets person, but I've been really happy with those desserts I've tried, and they aren't your usual cafe fare. The only dish I'd steer you away from is the quinoa salad - very little quinoa, and overpriced for the portion. If you want a menu standard, rather than a special, definitely go for the veggie burger, which is a hand made patty that's very vegetable-y, rather than attempting to mimic meat.

Pros: Beautiful setting, Delicious food, Friendly staff
Cons: Price isn't great, Far from the City
Chriss2011
Chriss2011

A Taste of Spring

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

The food here is full of goodness which leaves you feeling healthy after eating it. The location is lovely especially during springtime. You are surrounded by trees and lush green dappled with sunlight, when you dine outside on the balcony. The atmosphere has a relaxed vibe which adds to the charm. Two of us ordered two mains and desserts which we shared. The mains were baked vegetables with ginger and maple (quite gingery for ginger lovers) with lemon risotto on the side, mixed quinoa salad with chickpeas, greens, carrot, avocado, corn and assorted veg, with a lovely dressing. Dessert was divine.... blood orange topped cake and a chocolate strawberry wheat free cake served with ricotta cream with some hot cups of chai tea to finish. The meal was a little pricey for a lunchtime meal. The location in beautiful Roleystone helps to justify the expense. We experienced prompt friendly service.

There are plenty of lovely walking trails nearby if you feel the need for a stroll after lunch. All said and done we both had a lovely day and would go back again for some time in the Perth Hills, budget allowing possibly on the Jazz Saturday each month (bookings required). Cost for two $69. You can sit inside the restaurant as well. Inside is cosy with art from a local artist exhibited on the wall.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 29, 2011

Pros: Relaxed Vibe, Home cooked fresh tasty food, Can sit outside amongst nature or inside
Cons: Bit pricey, Special prices $$$, Menu not extensive
wellread
wellread

Excellent, special lunch

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2011

My husband and I made a reservation for a 1pm lunch. It is a bit of a journey, and we arrived late. We went on the last Saturday of the month because we'd read their flyer which claimed to be "very vegan" on that day. Three of the four lunch specials were vegan, and the menu itself not especially vegan so I'm glad we went that day. Our meals were outstanding. One was polenta with mushrooms and a miso sauce, and the other was a roasted eggplant & chickpea dish with tomato sauce. Both came with three very delicious side dishes: roasted beets, broccoli with some sort of white sauce, and a green salad with pomegranate, roasted peppers, and I believe a vinaigrette. Each of these dishes had their own personality and distinct flavor. Afterward we had good and strong coffee, mine was a soy latte, and a sweet potato fig vegan cake slice to share. The meal came to about $63. This is way more than we'd normally spend on a lunch, but it was a special meal to have occasionally. Dining out on the veranda was very pleasant in the shade even though it was quite a hot day. We chatted with a woman at the cash register who may have been the owner; she's Israeli and has lived in Sweden. Here's hoping the place survives, and perhaps increases the vegan options. By the way, they have live jazz on the first Saturday of the month, and apparently it's nationally known musicians that come play.

Pros: quality food, pleasant environment, friendly
Cons: bit far, bit pricey, could be more vegan

nichola
nichola

MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE PLACE IN PERTH

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

I have eaten at Genesis only twice. Both times have been ABSOLUTELY DELECTABLE. Seriously the food is AMAZING! I am no foodie BUT I do know good food and food that has been prepared with love !! The presentation is outstanding, great size portions. I feel like there is a party going on in my mouth with all the yummy flavours and combinations.
Yes I agree it is a little pricey for lunch time spending but I can go up the street to Kelly's garden restaurant and eat a vegetarian risotto nice but nothing special for $21. The location is beautiful. Service is WONDERFUL. Owner came over to chat with us. Staff were lovely and efficient. My cousin was with us from San Diego and she also agreed one of the best vegetarian meals she has had and there are many amazing veggie restaurants in San Diego. Would be awesome if they were open for dinner but for now I keep for special occasions and I am happy to pay the $25 for main course it really is worth it when you compare with what I pay at other places. Hope this helps and you enjoy this place as much as I do.

Pros: food, setting, staff
Cons: opening hours
ThrowingMuse
ThrowingMuse

Up market homely delight

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

This place needs more reviews - the current 2 cow rating is very, very harsh based on my experience there.

The main savoury food was lovely - the main chef is of central european and mediterranean origin I believe and this shows in the pickled vegetables, polenta, generous salads, and delicious sourdough bread. As a fan of well presented and subtle tasting european style food, this cafe ticks all my boxes.

I ordered black bean patties, and my fellow diners ordered Okra in cashew sauce and sprouted lentil with mushroom burger respectively. We shared all our dishes and I fell in love with them all.

The coffee was also fantastic, but the real surprise for me was the quality of the cakes. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but the cakes we chose were so fresh and soft it was like eating a sweet flavoured cloud. Apparently people from opposite ends of Perth make the distance here just for the coffee and the cake, and I hardly blame them.

To top it all off, the cafe is nestled in the Roleystone hills, which is probably as picturesque as Perth countryside gets, and is in a property which makes a lovely stroll through garden patches of herbs, chillies and outdoor tables with old teapots. A real magical getaway feel.

I found the staff lovely, chatty, helpful when choosing vegan options, and interested in their customers as people. When they found out it was my birthday, they gave me a complimentary slice of cake on the house. Friendly service is such a rarity in Perth so I was quite touched.

My only gripe is with its relative inaccessibility , both in terms of location and opening hours. It has schizophrenic opening hours, open usually for lunch but not for dinner, which makes it hard to get to on a normal working week, and the prices are higher than I'd usually be willing to pay for a lunchtime bite. However, as an occasional treat, Genesis is a truly wonderful culinary experience.

Pros: delicious, up market dining, idyllic surrounds, friendly staff
Cons: opening times, distance
daftdog
daftdog

Not worth it

2 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

Unfriendly staff who refused to believe I was a vegetarian and treated me like an idiot. I won't be going back!

Pros: None
Cons: Unfriendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Genesis in the Hills: