Vegetarian health food restaurant. Serving dumplings, mango cold dish, olive rice, organic rice dishes, noodles and Western dishes. Uses whole grains and has a variety of bread, baked goods, and desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Chinese, Asian, International, Take-out

First Review by wengkit
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Healthy food, nice cafe

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

Nice cafe with healthy food. Dishes range from $5-12. I had a super protein salad, which was OK for $8.90. I also had a slice of the avocado lime pie for dessert ($4.50), which was excellent. The setting is ok, although sparsely decorated with a feel like they haven't quite finished remodelling. The background music was Christian hymns. It can get busy at lunch time.

Pros: Healthy food
Cons: Setting a bit unfinished
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

nice

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

good location (go to see clark quay !!!), nice waitress, good food, take-away.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 21, 2010

08/08/2013 : I went again and advice you the sesame milk and lasagna.

Ajolote
Ajolote

I feel so nourished and satisfied!

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2013

Ok, maybe I am biased because I am always looking for healthy veg food. This place has Asian and Western tasty, healthy food. It is one of those places where you just have to keep eating after you are full because it is sooo good. The staff is super friendly and they sell some grocery goods like pasta and soy milk.

I had dumplings, a rice dish with mushrooms and veggies wrapped in lotus leaves and as dessert something called Chadol, which was a sweet cashew milk soup with beans and something green + ice= delish!

Pros: healthy, A/C, friendly

Scuba Girl
Scuba Girl

Energise!

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I am writing this review about 6 months after I ate at Genesis which I know is weird, but keep thinking about what a great experience it was. I found Genesis by accident when I was visiting a meat eater in Singapore. We happened on the restaurant and were not expecting too much as the site is small and the decor very simple. I ate a very nice meal - some kind of salad,and a 'super food' juice the staff recommended.

I had barely finished when I felt a real zing of energy and felt fantastic. I didn't know if it was the food that had me feeling so good, or the juice. I raved to my daughter about how fabulous I felt, and asked her to try the same juice herself. She felted good too,but not as intense an experience as I had.

So - great food, nice staff, try the juice! (I bought a bottle to bring home, despite having to drag it on a 12 hour flight - so worth it, looking forward to going back to Singapore and visiting Genesis)

Pros: Beautiful fresh food, Kind and friendly staff
Cons: Hope I can find it again
Aya
Aya

Good

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

Very popular with locals, which is a good sign.
The dumplings were great.
However, I wasn't too impressed with other dishes I ordered (noodle soup and lasagna), it just lacked something.

Pros: All vegan
Cons: A very limited choice of desserts, The food isn't exactly impressive, Christian
Eric_
Eric_

Look around

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

It was too healthy for my taste. I mean, you have to keep some flavour too. But it wasn't bad, just that it's so easy to find good alternatives in a city like Singapore.

Pros: Location, Friendly staff
Cons: Not enough food, Opening hours, Price
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

It was ok..

3 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

We ate here once and I found it to be ok. I ordered a meal that came with Tempeh, and it arrived with three small cubes of tofu. I asked about tempeh and they said they had none, but didn't bother to ask me about it. I know it's a bit picky but this did annoy me, as it's nice when you can get hold of tempeh!!!
Anyway- the rest of the food we had was good, and it was busy with locals so they must be doing something right!

It may take you a couple of time to find, especially if it's closed because it's tucked in and when closed there's a shutter with no sign.

Cons: changing meal without asking!
mayia
mayia

great food but staff too missionary..

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

the dishes are mostly great and they have a small sortiment of vegan supplies (eg soymilk powder). however, the restsurant is run by christians and i felt bothered by their attempts to hand my pamphlets and their questions on why i am not believing in god...

Pros: food is tasty, vegan store
Cons: staff tried to convert me to christianity
aviana_g
aviana_g

Genesis...two thumbs up!

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

I love this restaurant! The food is bursting with flavor and ingredients are fresh and tasty. If you are around boat quay, check out this restaurant and you won't regret it!

Pros: Vegan, tons of flavor, healthy!
Cons: closes at 3
Peace ...
Peace ...

Imaginative Veg*n Creations @ Genesis

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2010

Imaginative Veg*n Creative at Genesis Vegetarian Health Food Restaurant

Vegetarianism has always been associated with only 2 religions - Hinduism and Buddhism, however time had changed. Vegetarianism today does not advocated by only these 2 faiths but other faiths too such as - Christian Vegetarianism and so on. Besides, there are various adherents like the eco-conscious that advocate Vegetarianism just for Eating Green - Living on the Veg or those health conscious who is advocating healthy eating.
Although Genesis is not one of those Vegetarian Eateries on the Health Promotion Board - Healthier Dinning Programme (http://www.hpb.gov.sg/hpb/default.asp?pg_id=2060_) but they are definitely offering delectable organic healthy meals. This simple causal eatery is a favourite with Caucasians and locals working around Raffles Places.
Been to this eatery for few times, it never disappoint me with their creative vegan friendly Asian-inspired dishes such as Mango Salad, Fish Head Noodle, Korean Set and many other on their menu.

Brown Rice Set or Set Meal is never my first choice when I dine in any Organic Eateries, as there are other specialties waiting to be discovered. I picked 'Penang Popiah' @ $3.50! I was expecting those normal popiah wrap with organic veggies but Genesis used nori instead which is more nutritious.

Palatable too! Besides just veggies, there are little pieces of tofu, mock meat made with mushroom stalks, and mock fish that added some texture to it.

Pros: Healthy Organic HomeStyle Food
rhod
rhod

Decent food, nice staff, good location

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

Eaten lunch here many times and I've enjoyed just about everything I've eaten. It's not a destination place but a pleasant environment and good food at reasonable price. It does a mix of Chinese and Malays dishes and also some western stuff. All of it's decent although I think the Western salad on the side of the mains could do with a bit of work. The dumplings are very good, rice sets not bad (v healthy) and the noodle dishes excellent. Their western pastas are actually very nice including the lasagna which is a rarity in non-western eateries I think. Desserts seem healthy (as far as possible) and are quite nice. Not as sinful as they could be so you don't feel too bad having one regularly.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Definitely a good place for lunch.

Pros: Good food, Healthy food, Great location
Petesternz
Petesternz

A bit hit and miss

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

Genesis is essentially a "healthy" vegan experience - which is both good and bad, depending on your point of view. It is definitely healthy in terms of options, but that price on health took away the taste somewhat. Perhaps it just suffered in comparison to the divine Whole Earth that we visited the night before, but we found many of the dishes a bit humdrum, and nothing to get excited about. Let's give a few kudos first. As other reviewers have noted, the steamed dumplings are great. Some of the best we've ever had. But that was really about it. The dumpling soup was super watery, without flavour at all, and the other four dishes we had, including a Chicken Rice set, failed to set the palate on fire. Nothing bad here, to be sure, but not much to get really excited about either. Just healthy and decent food, set off a bit by some delicious dumplings. I'd stop back in for dumplings, but wouldn't head over there otherwise. Even the desserts had a "healthy" taste to them....meaning lacking in "unhealthy" good flavour...

Pros: clean, interesting options
Cons: lacking flavour
pegasus2012
pegasus2012

Best Dumplings in Town

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2008

This place has the best steamed dumplings in the island. I've been here twice, and I've tried their dumplings - steamed and fried. When they're fried, I find the skin abit tough to chew. However, when they're 'steamed', ooh la la, nothing can stop me from reaching out for all 6. So order them steamed. 6 in a plate at S$4.00. It's a great snack. Be sure to try it with the accompanying 'chilli sauce'. They use red capsicum in place of chilli. I had 2 helpings of their sauce with each order. And they have a secret vegetable ingredient in the sauce.

I've eaten two other items on their menu. 7-layer haystack. It's a Mexican dish and not so 'tomatoish'. It's not bad. I tried the Almond Basil Pesto. It's a pasta with pesto sauce (almond-based) with portion of salad. I was dissapointed as it was mild in taste and nothing spectacular.

For their full menu pls. visit Genesis blogspot:

I give them full marks for a cosy ambience. Imagine red and white checkered table cloth and wooden chairs with arm rests. It's cosy place if you want to spend more time eating and chatting with friends. It's located right behind boat quay and the nearest MRT is Raffles Place.

When asked if they serve organic meals, they replied 50% i.e. rice, corn chips are organic. So if you are into 100% organic, you may want to rethink about dining here.

Pros: great steamed dumplings, ambience, reasonable prices
beerzuki
beerzuki

dumplings...please sir, can i have some more!

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2008

I have eaten here many times. Every time I want to be brave and say no, but its no use...I have to have the fried dumplings! They are sooo good!

Some things can be a bit light on/bland in flavour, which probably really just means less 'salt' and 'oil' than things are normally saturated in!

I asked for the staff's recommendation amongst the rice dishes, and having tried a few, I tend to agree... the claypot rice is my fave so far (coincidentally the most salty)! Most things are under $10 each ($8.50 Aussie)

The menu has a great selection of both Western and Asian meals. They also stock a few health food items for sale. This is not 'mock meat' vegetarian, but healthy, well considered stuff.

I have heard the 'ting' of a microwave in the kitchen a few times though which I'm not too keen on...

But I still LOVE the place!

Pros: menu choice, prices, easy 15 min walk from raffles
Cons: microwave??, no outdoor seating, don't offer water on arrival
tanshellin
tanshellin

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

They served healthy food, I just love the place and will visit them if I want to have good and healthy food. I personally love the mexico wrap and 7 haystick, they are lovely!!! Must try!!

Guest
Guest

awesome foood!

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2008

they make vegetarian food so wonderful it's a must try!

Pros: interesting selection
wengkit
wengkit
  • raw

Great food at boat quay area

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2007

The korean set is fantastic. My fav are dumpling, shepard's pie, popiah, therapeutic set, chicken rice, yam roll.
Their food is good tasting and healthy too!

Pros: central area, good value, delicious
Cons: don't open late

Dear Owner and Manager of Genesis: