A bright and cheery establishment that serves gelato made in the traditional Italian artisan style. The front has cakes, pastries, and dairy gelato varieties. However, the back counter is what makes this Italian ice cream parlor particularly noteworthy - it features approximately 15 vegan soy gelato varieties, ranging from vanilla, chocolate, and pistachio to coffee, and frutti di bosco (a mix of berries). Vegan whipped cream topping is optional. Gluten-free (though not vegan) sweets are sold in this area as well. Only a few stool seating in the back counter. Directions: Located on the west side of the Tiber River, northeast of the Vatican, a few blocks south of the Lepanto metro stop. more-less
34 Via Marcantonio Colonna (btwn Via Cola di Rienzio and Viale Guilio Cesare)
Rome, Italy
063-202-395

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by chloeingermany
lallilaranja
lallilaranja

Ice cream parlour in Prati district

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

There's a separate counter for soy-based ice creams. Some flavours like gianduia chocolate and pistachio are made with olive oil in place of eggs as emulsifier. Taste is quite natural although a little too sweet to my liking. Cones are well filled inside, important detail.
I'd appreciate also to read a complete list of ingredients. Very few ice cream parlours put it clearly in view. As well as on milk and eggs, infact, I'd like to be fully informed on the presence of any other animal derivatives amongst the ingredients.

Pros: open on Sunday
Cons: ingredients are not organic
AnaVegan
AnaVegan

I love Gelarmony

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

Ok so this was my first place to actually find successfully using Happycow. There were only 5 soy ice creams and there were at the nearside of the counter. The guy serving didn't know what a vegan was so I just askedfor soy. I had the hazelnut and pistachio and was happy out!

Pros: Amazing Gelato!
Cons: Don't expect more than 5 flavours
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Massively overrated, completely disappointed

1 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

After reading all these reviews about a special room in the back with vegan flavors, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I went here.

1. There's no special room for vegans or anything like that. The back room is smoothies now.

2. They had 4 vegan flavors in the corner, and trying to get an employee to come to the end of the counter to help me was nearly impossible. They ignored me to help everyone else.

3. The guy who served me was super rude

4. The soy whipped cream is not vegan. A sign says it has milk protein.

5. I had to fight with the employee to not give me the whipped cream. "It's soy." "Yeah, but it says it's not vegan. I'm vegan." "But it's soy." Ugh.

6. The vegan flavors the day I went were vanilla, pistacchio, walnut, Brazil nut. Boring!

This place was hugely overrated in my opinion. Maybe it used to be better, but you couldn't pay me to go back here. I'll stick with Blue Ice.

Cons: Rude as hell

Spinach24
Spinach24

Amazing selection of vegan gelato

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

This place is great! The back counter is full of soy gelato options. I only got to go here twice, but everything I had was great. I particularly liked the pistachio (pistachi) and cinnamon (cannela) flavors. I wish I has been able to go more and try everything!

I really like that they put their ingredients for the soy whipped topping and soy gelato base right up there on the wall (in italian). But, the soy whipped topping has a milk derivative (my italian isn't great but I think it was casein), so skip it if you are vegan. Most gelato isn't served with whipped cream anyway, so you won't miss it.

Pros: Huge vegan selection, Absolutely delicious, Ingredients on the wall
Cons: Soy whipped topping is NOT vegan
Cecilia B.
Cecilia B.

Unmissable ice-cream

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

Many vegan options, pistachio and coconut dark chocolate are my favorite flavors!
You can also choose vegan/gluten free cone.

SOY WHIPPED CREAM CONTAINS LACTOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: Amazing, Cheap
Cons: WHIPPED CREAM CONTAINS LACTOSE!!!!!!!!!!
salilona
salilona

Simply heavenly!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

Today is our last day in Rome and visiting Gelarmony was just the perfect goodbye for vegan gelato (I wish we would have tried this wonderful gelateria earlier...). YES, this location offered everything I generally look for:
- huge variety of vegan soy gelato (chocolate, gianduja, hazelnut, walnut, coconut, coffee, soy yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, pistacchio, sweet melon, orange-carrot, strawberry)
- friendly staff
- and very simpathetic atmosphere & philosphy of the gelateria in general: easy to locate within the store the soy section, they use no artificial ingredients, etc.

Kudos to Gelarmony! :-))

Pros: huge variety of soy gelato, friendly staff, good atmosphere
wildfang
wildfang

Mmmmmyummi...

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

Super delicious ice cream - we tried two different flavours each (soya yogurt flavour!!!) and ended up paying only 4€ for the lot. Shame we only had a day in Rome...

Sprout
Sprout

You really need to go here

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

This place was a bit out of the way, but we worked it into a walk to Vatican City, and, man, am I glad we did. As noted, the vegan options are located in the back shop, and you will be overwhelmed by the options. I had the hazelnut chocolate, regular chocolate, and walnut, plus soy whipped cream on top. This was the creamiest, richest gelato I had in Italy and one of the most memorable. You won't regret walking over here, and the range of vegan flavors available, plus the quality, is sure to please. The vegan whipped cream was so light and airy; it reminded me of Chantilly cream. Between two of us we had six gigantic scoops, plus whipped cream, and it was only 6 euro.

Pros: so many vegan flavors, rich, creamy gelato, vegan whipped cream!
SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

Soy Whipped Cream

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

We had visited about five gelaterias from Happy Cow during our stay in Italy. This was the final one and the best. You have to go to the back to get the soy options, but they are plentiful and hard to choose. It is a bit further removed from the tourist zones and about 2 miles north of the Vatican. The whipped cream on top (something we saw at no other gelateria) was so light and wonderful. I think I had caffe, choco-hazlenut, and coconut. Definitely worth the out-of-the-way walk!

Pros: vegan whipped cream, great, bountiful vegan options, best Gelateria
veganmanc
veganmanc

Great selection of vegan ice cream

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

... 15 flavours of vegan ice cream, all in a separate cabinet from the dairy ones. Well worth a visit and getting through the crowd that seems to always be there.
Payment seemed a bit confusing - on my first visit I ordered my gelato then paid for it at the till near the door but on my second visit they wouldn't serve me until I paid first.

Pros: great selection
tuelltime78
tuelltime78

Amazing vegan gelato!

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

This is definitely worth a visit! I was a little sad that I would not be able to enjoying the amazing gelato that Rome has to offer, but was excited to find Gelarmony. It was amazing! I couldn't tell it was vegan! I had the coffee and chocolate flavors mixed together and a cone with their orange gelato. It is so creamy and delicious!

Pros: helpful staff, inexpensive, excellent food
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

AWESOME ice cream parlour in Rome

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

This has to be the best vegan ice cream I have ever tasted. I made two trip across the city just to savour this delicious ice cream! There are lots of different varieties to choose from. Prices are excellent for Italy and portion size. My favourite was the coconut and also chocolate flavour! Highly recommended and well worth an extra trip. Take the metro to Lepanto and it is a few minutes walk down the street from there. Enroute to the Vatican or St Peters Square.

Pros: DELICIOUS, Variety, price
chloeingermany
chloeingermany

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

This place is amazing and an absolute must for vegans visiting Rome, the selection is awesome, the flavors are awesome and they even have vegan cream for on top of your selection of icecream in a cone or a cup!Seriously worth a visit, even if it means going out of your way.! I hobbled there after i ran the Rome Marathon!!worth every painful step!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Gelarmony: