Serves meat, veg options available. Pizza, pasta, and steak place but does list veg choices on the back of the menu, which include Vietnamese dishes containing faux meats that are vegan suitable. Intimate cafe atmosphere, frequented by foreigners. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Western, Vietnamese, Non-veg
86 Hang Quat Street
Hanoi, Vietnam

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Rich Wildgrube
ClauPantoja
ClauPantoja

Expensive

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2014

I had the "monk meat" with rice and "veggies". It tasted ok, and it had a really meat look, but for Vietnam it was an expensive dish. Staff was friendly, maybe too much hahaha. Would go somewhere else.

Pros: Staff, Location, Ambiance
Cons: Price
philjdomm
philjdomm

Chain

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Kinda handy but if you're trying to reduce gluten in your diet... Hard to avoid the mock meats..

Pros: Chain, Late, Mock Meat
Cons: Mock Meat
klareh101
klareh101

Decent vegan options

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

We found Gecko as it was near our hotel (there are 2 quite close together). We had sweet and sour "lamb" and "chicken" curry. The sweet and sour was a bit too saucy and needed more rice or veg to soak it up, the lamb was tofu based and a bit tough but tasty. The chicken curry really stood out, it had complex flavours and the mock chicken was tender and tasty. The place is popular with tourists but isn't a rip off, under $17US for 3 beers and the food.

Pros: Chicken curry
Cons: Tough mock lamb

jeroenkusters
jeroenkusters

Good food, nice upstairs streetview

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Delicious Vietnamese vegetarian dishes. Upstairs balcony has great streetview. Very kind en helpful staff.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere
burkejamest
burkejamest

Pleasant Oasis

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

My friends and I recently ate here twice while visiting Hanoi. Half of our group of six were Vegan. The restaurant easily accommodated our mixed dietary needs. I enjoyed the Marinara Pizza without cheese on both occasions. The crust was thin and crisp. The sauce was tasty. I had olives, pineapple and fresh tomatoes as toppings. I had 2 glasses of the Mango/passion fruit juice also on both occasions. The service was friendly with the same waitress waiting on us both times. She remembered us from our first visit. She willing divided the bill in three for each couple. The setting was pleasant which was a relief from all the activity on the street. Our group enjoyed a upper floor room to our selves. Overall our experience was excellent. Note Gecko is a chain with at least three locations. We did not try the other locations.

Pros: Good pizza, Pleasant atmosphere, Friendly service
Guest
Guest

Bad Fake Meat

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

Ate here cos I was desperate, don't order fake pork, it's worse than eating rubber and tastes horrible. The sweet and sour sauce it came on was really nice and the restaurant was quaint.

Pros: Nice Place
Cons: Bad Fake Meat
Rich Wildgrube
Rich Wildgrube

One of few in Hanoi

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

It was tough to find good vegetarian food in Hanoi during my one week stay. I found nearby Tamarind bland. But Gecko (several locations) has two pages of vegetarian/vegan dishes at the back of the menu. They foods we sampled were quite tasty and were well-seasoned. The "beef" was done well as was the "pork." The "chicken" was more like firm tofu. As at most places you can find fresh fruit juices, lassi, and milk shakes. Friendly staff and free Internet connection is available. I have no complaints. It was the best restaurant for me.

A warning, though: in general when eating in Vietnam (and probably most of SE Asia), some places seem to think fish sauce is vegetarian. So the clear dipping liquid with some pepper flakes floating in it is probably fish sauce. Ask if it is and then ask for a substitute such as rice vinegar or a hot sauce. I'm certain that some of the vegetarian dishes on menus of other restaurants were made with fish sauce. Seems safe at Gecko.

Pros: Flavorful food, Nice selection of veg dishes, Easy going atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Gecko: