CLOSED: GAYA-aoyama

Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese pub-like space serving Japanese fusion cuisine: tofu capoleze, wild plants and veggies tempura, simmered burdock, fried veggies roots pan cake, chocolate cake, and more. Directions: Ginza metro line exit at station Omote-Sando, use exit B4, walk down until you pass the United Station University on your right, restaurant is located on the first cross street going left. Address in Japanese: 東京都渋谷区渋谷2-2-5. NOV 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN BY HAPPYCOW STAFF. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Macrobiotic, Japanese, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2-2-5 Shibuya Kurusu Bldg. B1 Shibuyaku (National Highway 246, near Aoyamagakuin University)
Tokyo, Japan 150-0022
03-34988810

Open daily 17:30-24:00.

First Review by fitvegan
megatofu
megatofu

Best meal in Tokyo

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2011

Let me start by saying that I didn't go out to eat that much during my trip to Tokyo, but among the places I tried, GAYA was the best. The food was delicious. My partner and I shared four items, a trio of desserts and had some sake. Our bill came to around 9400 yen. The staff was very friendly, particularly the bartender, who chatted us up in English. We speak no Japanese, unfortunately, but we had a great conversation. You won't get full at this izakaya, unless you order quite a lot, but the flavors are outstanding. Definitely worth a visit. It wasn't very easy for us to find, but I think we had bad directions. It seems to be a bit of a hike from the nearest metro station.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, English menu
Cons: Slightly pricey, Can be difficult to find
mako
mako

Excellent Options

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2008

This was the best izakaya style vegetarian restaurant I've had in Tokyo so far. The food is delicious, they have wonderful soy and gluten-based fake meats, and the service is wonderful. The staff is helpful and provided English menus (vegetarian/vegan options are clearly marked on both menus).

The only caveat is that the price, especially if you're going to be drinking, is a little bit steep. I was there for a several hours and walked away with a 7000+ yen/person bill -- and was still a little hungry.

While the drinks (and the special shochu in particular) is delicious, I'd recommend having just one or two drinks at Gaya and focusing on the food. You can drink decent beer and shochu at lots of izakayas elsewhere in Shibuya for much cheaper.

Pros: english-friendly, delicous, many veg options
Cons: price
KelseyApple
KelseyApple

Good Organic Veg-Friendly Izakaya

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

This restaurant is NOT VEGAN. They are not vegetarian even. They sell organic meat and wild fish as well as egg and milk products. However, the atmosphere is really neat and the food is tasty. It is more of an izakaya style (Japanese pub) than a sit down restaurant. You are meant to get several smaller dishes and share them between many people. Value is on par for Tokyo. Service is excellent. The first time I went there I misread the website and ended up arriving after last orders. It was pretty late and there were no other places for me to get any vegan food so they made me a vegan bento with 9 different side dishes. Delicious! Desserts could be better but good selection of vegan treats.

Pros: good food, excellent service, organic
Cons: not vegan , small, ordinary desserts
kelly
kelly

Great vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2007

We were very happy to find this restaurant through Happy Cow during our trip to Japan. It is difficult to find vegetarian friendly food in Tokyo. The food was very good, and everyone was very friendly. They also had an English menu and English speaking staff, which was very helpful. Wish we would have found it before our last night there.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, English speaking
fitvegan
fitvegan

delicious

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

I spent a while looking for veg places, so was very thankful to find the happy cow, and this restaurant.

Very friendly English speaking staff. They even recommended other vegetarian restaurants.

Menu is somewhat limited but good. I had a very tasty Ceasar's salad (no cheese) and fake chicken. Both were delicious and filling. Including a fruit juice it was 2800Y.

Seemed to be popular with Gaijins, there was a whole party there.

Pros: yummy, high quality ingredients, very friendly staff
Cons: some smokers around (though not near me)

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: GAYA-aoyama: