Serves meat, veg options available. Indian food. Has a vegetarian section on the menu with a few vegan suitable dishes: samosas, veggie pakora, pappadum, aloo ghobi, aloo parantha, mango sorbet. The weekday lunch buffet includes only 1 or 2 vegan items. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2603 6th Ave
Tacoma, Washington 98406
253-552-5022
Closed time

Mon-Tue 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-9:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by MelChelle
SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

a Vegan-positive Indian restaurant

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

I have been to many Indian restaurants but the vegan options are not always that positive -- even at the vegetarian restaurants. Gateway takes this seriously as I believe one of the owners is also a vegan. Everything vegan-friendly is well- marked. If there is something that you want that may be vegetarian but not vegan, they will modify it for you. They do use the same fryer for all foods so be conscious of that. They may be able to bake some options instead of frying if you want and they are available to do so.
The food is also really good quality. There is always a large wait staff to help and check on you and always friendly.

Pros: Vegan-aware, Great food, Always busy but helpful
DavidDunning
DavidDunning

inconsistent

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2013

My wife and i have been there three times. The spices were very inconsistent each time. We had a waiter tell us there is no such thing to a question we had so I told him maybe he should tell that to the ones I have at home.
They do have some nice vegetarian choices
I found the prices a bit high and there is better around for the money

veganlogger
veganlogger

Probably the Best Indian Food in Tacoma

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2011

Let's face it: Tacoma is not the best place for ethnic food. Gateway to India is one of a few Indian restaurants I've been to and it's my favorite so far. I've done the lunch buffet once and had dinner 3 or 4 times. The vegan options are clearly marked with asterisks, which is handy, but I wish there were more of them. The aloo gobi is good, but I was expecting it to be more saucy. I've also had the vegetable biranyi, which I ordered at a 4 for spiciness because that's what I usually get at other restaurants. It was so spicy, I couldn't eat it. The next time I went I had the saag tofu and I ordered a 2 to be safe, and it tasted like there was no spice at all.
I wish the samosas and chutneys were vegan.

Pros: Tasty, Clearly labeled
Cons: Spiciness is inconsistent, Pricy

bayzydk
bayzydk

Great place to catch up with old friends!

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2010

Food is tasty, if but a little pricey at times. Vegan lentil soup is served free before every meal. Lots of tasty vegan options. What I love most about this place though is that you can sit and stay for hours---there's never a push to get patrons out the door, like at some establishments. I always come here when I know that a friend and I have a lot of catching up to do!

arvege
arvege

Best Indian restaurant in Tacoma!

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

We love Gateway to India! The staff is some of the friendliest I've ever dealt with in restaurants. They know all about veganism and are always more than happy to accomodate veganism. I just love going there, it's probably our favorite restaurant in the city. It's nice to feel comfortable eating somewhere that you know you can trust the staff not to include any animal products in your food. And the food is amazing also. My husband loves the daal makhani and my favorite is the artichoke heart masala veganized. They have asterisks on their menu to denote what items are vegan, and what items can be veganized. Their Tandoori roti is also delicious and their lentil soup they serve with their meals is also vegan.

Pros: Delicious food, Very vegan friendly, Great atmosphere
MelChelle
MelChelle

best indian in western WA

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2008

As a vegan you can trust that they are serving you what you ask for. Staff is knowledgable and will anwser questions. I would not eat at any other Indian Rest. in Tacoma. Even with the remodel there can be a wait but it is worth it. Enjoy.

Pros: family owned, authentic cuisuine, many vegan options
Cons: service can be slow

Dear Owner and Manager of Gateway To India: